All things Dundee FC

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

He is only 20 to be fair. Plenty players have come here at a young age and went on to play at a higher level. A recent one I can think of was Seny Dieng.

I get that but it just seems strange as they recalled him and then let him come back a few weeks later - it seems like they don't really rate him all that much.  Even more so if the rumour mentioned above is true as that's be a step up as well. 

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We've got to get the business done on Friday but I'm pretty excited about the prospect of Bowyer getting to clear the decks and actually having a decent budget to get his own guys in.

Presumably whatever happens on Friday (and, if needs be, in the weeks to come) Bowyer stays, assuming he wants to?

Sure he's got things wrong, but at the same time he inherited an utterly chronic squad. The signings he has been able to bring in have shown he knows what he's doing in the transfer market.

Frankly, I think it's a minor miracle that he's managed to get this squad into the top 4, never mind a point from the title. 

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

Presumably whatever happens on Friday (and, if needs be, in the weeks to come) Bowyer stays, assuming he wants to?

Sure he's got things wrong, but at the same time he inherited an utterly chronic squad. The signings he has been able to bring in have shown he knows what he's doing in the transfer market.

Frankly, I think it's a minor miracle that he's managed to get this squad into the top 4, never mind a point from the title. 

When I look back I was totally kidding myself saying at the start of the season that it was a squad good enough to go straight back up.

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

When I look back I was totally kidding myself saying at the start of the season that it was a squad good enough to go straight back up.

Most of us were kidding ourselves when we thought we would go straight back up with the cigars  out in December - we will likely scrape through but it's been a slog and a half.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Most of us were kidding ourselves when we thought we would go straight back up with the cigars  out in December - we will likely scrape through but it's been a slog and a half.

Brought straight back down to earth first game in Jan getting humped off of Arbroath. February was an awful run of results.

4 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Brought straight back down to earth first game in Jan getting humped off of Arbroath. February was an awful run of results.

I found myself agreeing with this, and then thinking, hold on, we didn't start the league well at all and we've drawn something like 5 of our last 6 games.

So, when exactly were we any good this season??!!

47 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

I found myself agreeing with this, and then thinking, hold on, we didn't start the league well at all and we've drawn something like 5 of our last 6 games.

Start of November to the end of December we went on a good run. Without which we would be having a very different atmosphere in here.

It's easy to say we're shite and add the old "tHe ChaMpIoNsHiP iS uLtRa CoMpEtiTiVe ThIs YeAr", but it has actually been both for everyone. Teams hitting form too late.

1 hour ago, Spikethedee said:

We went unbeaten in our 2nd round of fixtures (6 W, 3 D) culminating in hitting the top of the table for Christmas away to Ayr. Jan.-Feb. wasn't great but we got the Zach and Jak connection started which helped us to two big home wins that carried us through the rough patch. We've went unbeaten in our last round so far (3 W, 5 D). That's what has pretty much carried us. Mental it's almost enough to win a league, but here we are.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

11 hours ago, The Master said:

Just don’t agree with that at all. On Friday there were only 3 starters not here last season and one of the was Maguire, and he’s pish. 

The standard in the Championship has been very poor this season, a good manager gets us promoted, with the current squad, at an absolute canter.

Bowyer has been distinctly average as have been his signings.

Playing with 1 up front nearly all season, often with 2 holding midfielders.

My preference would be for him to go back down the road, with the board having someone carefully selected to take over from the get go.

Of course that’s where it all breaks down so in Bowyer, we’ll need to trust.

27 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Just don’t agree with that at all. On Friday there were only 3 starters not here last season and one of the was Maguire, and he’s pish. 

The standard in the Championship has been very poor this season, a good manager gets us promoted, with the current squad, at an absolute canter.

Bowyer has been distinctly average as have been his signings.

Playing with 1 up front nearly all season, often with 2 holding midfielders.

My preference would be for him to go back down the road, with the board having someone carefully selected to take over from the get go.

Of course that’s where it all breaks down so in Bowyer, we’ll need to trust.

The bulk of his signing targets were rejected at the start. He had to move on some very expensive haddies and by that point, most of his targets had moved on. 

Considering he was dealing with the bargain bin/clearance section of footballer's, I think he has done remarkably well.

I'm with Fifespud, calling it a minor miracle that we're top 4 in this bin fire of a league is wild. 

I'm not convinced by the guy, but if we go up he should get a shot of it with his own team

If we bottle it, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

What I would say is that this league has a way of making you look distinctly average. It is stuffy and challenging where most games are a slog and there isn't much of an opportunity for watching a quality game. 

We aren't going to run away with championships in the same way that Rangers, Hearts, Hibs etc have before, we just simply aren't. That isn't to say that we shouldn't have won this before now mind you. You can take positives from teams who have been down here recently and pushed on though.

If we go up, Bowyer deserves the opportunity to build a new squad that is solely his without limits because of players currently here. His remit will have been to win the championship and he is one game away from that. 

If he doesn't get us up, then f**k knows. There's a case for him staying as seeing your manager and also all but 3 players walk out the door has chaos written all over it - but I wouldn't be adverse to him going and us finding someone else. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

7 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

If he doesn't get us up, then f**k knows. There's a case for him staying as seeing your manager and also all but 3 players walk out the door has chaos written all over it - but I wouldn't be adverse to him going and us finding someone else. 

If Queens Park were still flying or even just hadn't bottled it completely I'd probably agree with this. It feels like we've had numerous chances over the last month or two though to kick on with the league being put on a plate and we've passed it up. 

To not go up on Friday would be disastrous with the position we found ourselves in and I can't see him ever winning the likes of me over again if we do. And that's coming from someone who likes the guy. 

It isn't a case of Bowyer deserving a chance, it is if he is good enough. Tactically we played in such a safe manner for so long it might cost us come Friday night. 

I am not convinced that such a tactical mindset "deserves a chance" if we do go up. 

Matches can be won and managed through in play tweaks and i believe bringing the likes of Jakubiak and Hannant on late on will seal the deal for us in this match. This is a one off cup fixture as such and i'd be starting with the following side:

Legzdins

Mulligan Ashcroft Sweeney Marshall

McMullen Williamson Maguire McCowan

Cameron

Robinson

If we play 4 4 2 in this match we have absolutely no way to change it late on as we've seen against Arbroath, Inverness and Cove. You could point to Morton as substitutions that gained us a point but the ball fell to the head of Kwame and to his feet after a mix up. We still created nothing in free play. This starting eleven should still be better than Queens and would allow people like Jakubiak to come on and change the dynamic of a potentially gung ho Queens from around 60/65 minutes. 

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

Bowyer is absolutely what Dundee needs. He knows how to be shrude, has found decent players when the budget was apparently stretched and most importantly got on with it with what he had.

Look at what we have had since the departure of Hartley.

Exactly.