Salmond's Replacement

Ludo*1

Nicola Sturgeon seems to be the obvious choice although there are a few other candidates.

Mainly being Humza Yousaf (Whom I personally don't believe is ready yet but is certainly the most promising), Angus Robertson, Stewart Hosie and that's about it, isn't it?

Not the greatest of selections. I really like Hosie, but as was shown in his debate, he simply comes across as sneering and certainly doesn't have the ability to resonate with the public like some of the others do.

Robertson and Hosie are both MPs right? I know Salmond did the job from Westminster before but it would be quite bizarre to have a FM that wasn't even the SNP leader.

I think it will be Sturgeon with Yousaf as the deputy. Wouldn't be shocked in Nic is elected unopposed as the party leader/FM but quite a few candidates throw their name into the hat as deputy.

How does it work? Do all SNP mps who wish to be considered put their name forward and then the rest of SNP MPs choose their favourite?

Salmond will first resign as party leader at the conference, and then the entire SNP membership get to vote by post I think. Once this vote has been settled and a leader is in place, Salmond will step down as FM triggering a vote in Holyrood on who the new FM would be, and since the SNP have a majority, they will be able to vote their candidate in easily.

The only way it could get messy is if the SNP were to see infighting and some of the MSPs refusing to endorse a particular candidate, at which point the unionists could rally behind Johann Lamont and she could win the FM vote, however if all SNP MSPs agree to back whoever wins their leadership election then we will have an SNP FM not named Alex Salmond in a matter of months.

Archived