Great Performances in Shite Movies

Ira Gaines

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Controversial shout time - Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. His performance elevates what would be a mediocre film at best to a good one.

I'll be even more controversial and say as decent as his performance was, if he hadn't died when he did, his performance wouldn't have been as accredited as it was.

I'll be even more controversial and say as decent as his performance was, if he hadn't died when he did, his performance wouldn't have been as accredited as it was.

Nah. The sheer negativity did the job. Never seen so much dumb as f**k negativity aimed at a bit of casting before, and then people got overly excited as a result when it started looking like he was going to be good.

Whether he'd have gotten awards, I'm not sure, but he'd have been praised to the high heavens. And rightly so. It was an unreal performance worthy of the praise it has recieved.

If Heath Ledger hadn't died, he would still have received an Oscar nomination, at least. Hell, if they can nominate Robert Downey Jr for Tropic Thunder and nominate Jonah Hill (TWICE!!) then they would surely recognise Ledger's role.

I'm at risk of displaying my enormous man crush on Gary Oldman here but his performance in the entire Dark Knight trilogy is both understated and phenomenal.

Also, a little off topic (because its an amazing film) but Cillian Murphy's performance in Inception is brilliant, considering he's a fairly one dimensional character

Ledger was already an Oscar nominated actor by the time he did the Dark Knight. i remember at the time thinking he was a strange choice for the role, but it was an exceptional performance.

I don't know if the Academy would have given him a nomination though if he wasn't dead, I feel they tend to frown on comic book films a bit.

Fastbender in Prometheus

Also on the subject of Dark Knight I really felt for Aaron Eckhart as he was outstanding in the film but was really overshadowed because of what happened

Fastbender in Prometheus

Also on the subject of Dark Knight I really felt for Aaron Eckhart as he was outstanding in the film but was really overshadowed because of what happened

I think he would've been overshadowed anyway.

I was extremely sceptical of the hype round Heath Ledger's performance and was convinced his death had lead to a bit of hyperbole, but it was an incredibly dark performance.

ETA: In fact Jack Nicholson may be worth half a shout in this thread. No Batman wasn't a shite movie by any means (I put it in my top 10 80's films for the nostalgia) but it's definitely too cheesy to be taken seriously as a dark, gothic movie. Nicholson however is utterly superb in it.

Archived