Question Time

Elixir

You are truly the epitome of a little "englander".

Keep it up.

Whilst I'm biting at your bait, try hooking me fully.

What right does her majesty have to rule over me, you, or anyone else?

Aw come on! She doesn't rule, she reigns. Her 'right' as you put it is supported by the vast majority of your fellow Britons, can't see that changing anytime soon!😉🇬🇧

Surely you have bigger things to worry your little self about?

Was that for Liz or the monarchy in general?

Would love to see what that would be once Chucky gets his mitts on the throne.

It'll dip, no doubt, have a look at any of the Polls over the last few years though, they're all pretty decisive.

The YouGov poll was on the Monarchy as a whole btw.

It'll dip, no doubt, have a look at any of the Polls over the last few years though, they're all pretty decisive.

The YouGov poll was on the Monarchy as a whole btw.

Claiming it's popular doesn't explain your unshakable belief in the divine right of one aristocratic family to reign over us.

Claiming it's popular doesn't explain your unshakable belief in the divine right of one aristocratic family to reign over us.

We're just very different on that count Ant, in the same way that I believe the unshakable belief in a SNP led Republic would have you jumping off a cliff if you were asked to.

I've said previously that the Royal Family should be self supportive and not subsidised by the Tax Payer, I'm happy otherwise in their role as part of the British constitution.

Millions of other Brits are Ok with that too, your view is different, I have no problems with that whatsoever.

There really isn't a case to be made for supporting the monarchal hedgemony unless you believe that some human beings are born better, and more entitled, than others.

It's not difficult to make the link between bigotry, prejudice and sectarianism when that idealism is extended.

We're just very different on that count Ant, in the same way that I believe the unshakable belief in a SNP led Republic would have you jumping off a cliff if you were asked to.

I've said previously that the Royal Family should be self supportive and not subsidised by the Tax Payer, I'm happy otherwise in their role as part of the British constitution.

Millions of other Brits are Ok with that too, your view is different, I have no problems with that whatsoever.

Can you answer the question of why the actual individuals, the Queen, Charlie etc.....merit such deferance and wealth, though?

It is simply an accident of birth.

Can you see why some people find that a very strange and, at times, dangerous concept to celebrate?

Still absolutely refusing to answer the question as to why you believe an aristocratic family has a divine right to breed heads of state.

In fact, I've never actually seen anyone put forward a case for why the system is good; the only argument monarchists seem to have is that it's old and therefore should be maintained. It seems to me that since the British Empire died on its arse, what was once a fairly confident (perhaps even strident) nation state has become obsessed with tradition, like Miss Havisham surrounded by the ancient remnants of her wedding.

If and when the UK itself disintegrates as a political project, it won't be with a bang, but with a whimper.

Edited by Antlion

There really isn't a case to be made for supporting the monarchal hedgemony unless you believe that some human beings are born better, and more entitled, than others.

It's not difficult to make the link between bigotry, prejudice and sectarianism when that idealism is extended.

It's funny how the predictable accusations of bigotry, are always mouthed by those who have it at the forefront of their minds? It speaks volumes to me.

It's funny how the predictable accusations of bigotry, are always mouthed by those who have it at the forefront of their minds? It speaks volumes to me.

I didn't accuse anyone of bigotry.

Why did the post get under your skin?

Edited by Shades75

Still absolutely refusing to answer the question as to why you believe an aristocrat family has a divine right to breed heads of state.

Round in circles here, pros and cons, I understand all of them. A system that continues to serve this Country well though, I'm ok with it.

You're not, and will continue to howl at the moon until your hearts content, that's fine, no problem.

Round in circles here, pros and cons, I understand all of them. A system that continues to serve this Country well though, I'm ok with it.

You're not, and will continue to howl at the moon until your hearts content, that's fine, no problem.

You've never provided a pro. Your default position is to try and deflect from having to offer any by stating that your abject, brainwashed belief in the divine right of kings is common - you've never actually said what's good about it.

I don't throw around words like that without substance that's all?

They are words which are inextricably linked with elitism. That elitism that exists to revere the Royal family is often extended and in many ways, yes, hijacked by intolerant groups and individuals to promote their own brands of bigotry, prejudice and sectarianism.

There's plenty of substantitive evidence to back that up.

It might be an uncomfortable truth, but it's a truth, all the same.

They are words which are inextricably linked with elitism. That elitism that exists to revere the Royal family is often extended and in many ways, yes, hijacked by intolerant groups and individuals to promote their own brands of bigotry, prejudice and sectarianism.

There's plenty of substantitive evidence to back that up.

It might be an uncomfortable truth, but it's a truth, all the same.

You only have to read the thousands of posts on here by elitist Nationalists, to realise that your argument is equally applicable when it comes to the SNP.