Question Time

Elixir

Evidence of "airing their views disproportionately."

Between the 2010 election and March this year, UKIP had elected officials on Question Time 20 times. Twenty appearances in 5 years doesn't seem like a huge amount to me.

Have you link for that? I'm curious as to how concentrated these appearances are.

'It does not include those who may be judged to represent the party but are not elected: for example Ukip’s MEP Diane James appeared when she was a parliamentary candidate but had not taken office.'

Edited by mjw

'It does not include those who may be judged to represent the party but are not elected: for example Ukips MEP Diane James appeared when she was a parliamentary candidate but had not taken office.'

Off the top of my head I was thinking of Diane James (also a This Week regular), Suzanne Evans and Roger Helmer.

Interesting, any idea how I can find out how many times their representatives have been on since March?

That's all I can find I'm afraid. I think it feels like UKIP are on more often than they actually are because they provoke a stronger reaction, and because the appearances are spread across fewer people.

You get a variety of Labour, Tory and (previously) Lib Dems, whereas with UKIP it's almost always Farage, Nuttall or Carswell (who I actually quite like).

ETA: Forgot to add Suzanne Evans to the UKIP list.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

That's all I can find I'm afraid. I think it feels like UKIP are on more often than they actually are because they provoke a stronger reaction, and because the appearances are spread across fewer people.

You get a variety of Labour, Tory and (previously) Lib Dems, whereas with UKIP it's almost always Farage, Nuttall or Carswell (who I actually quite like).

Also Steven Wolf and Louise Bours. A whole range of UKIP figures seem to be invited on; you don't see this when it comes to, say, the Greens. Even the other smaller parties (like the Lib Dems) are limited to MPs (not MEPs - hehe) when it comes to representation on the show. The SNP have their MPs on, not their MEPs. Yet for UKIP it seems that in order to have them on QT (and This Week, and the Daily Politics), the BBC will invite on any randomer who happens to have a position in UKIP. Not many MPs? Never mind, we want you on - just send Helmer, or Bours, or Wolf, or Nuttall, or Farage, or James, or Evans, please!!

Edited by Antlion

Not as simple as the guy that thinks Trident IS THE ONLY THING that keeps us safe from terrorists.

FTFY. Why did no one point out that terrorist attacks have happened whilst we've had Trident? Je despair.

Edited by Antlion

She's far from a 'fuckin idiot'.

'Fucking idiot' thank you very much. Shove your up colloquialism your bum thanks. :P

More seriously, fucking idiot is harsh. She seems pretty detached from reality though. Idealistic to a fault is perhaps a better way of putting it, greener than the greenest of greens.

I actually enjoyed that show tonight. Bit of a shouting match and, considering they fielded a heavyweight each, the labour and Tory MPs really struggled against a hostile crowd, but at least we had some passionately expressed views for once.

Belfast next week. Should be good for a laugh.

'Fucking idiot' thank you very much. Shove your up colloquialism your bum thanks. :P More seriously, fucking idiot is harsh. She seems pretty detached from reality though. Idealistic to a fault is perhaps a better way of putting it, greener than the greenest of greens. I actually enjoyed that show tonight. Bit of a shouting match and, considering they fielded a heavyweight each, the labour and Tory MPs really struggled against a hostile crowd, but at least we had some passionately expressed views for once. Belfast next week. Should be good for a laugh.

I'm wondering if we might get same-sex marriage next week, considering it was voted for by a majority of the Assembly for the first time last week, only for the DUP to veto it. That topic is always a fun watch on Northern Irish Question Times.

Edited by Sooky

Since when was QT focused on questions relating to the European Parliament?

The importance of the EU has shot up dramatically within the last couple of years. There is a migrant crisis, which is being exacerbated as a result of EU laws and we're having a referendum on EU membership within a year or two. Also, QT isn't meant to be "focused" on any specific area. Other than the most pressing subjects that week.

Edited by Fotbawmad