League Cup Reboot (12 Semi-Finals) ?

RabidAl

Interesting. Who's driving it - the small Premiership and professional Championship clubs? And what is the thinking with not including the clubs in Europe. It'll be pretty rotten without the best 4 teams.

I'd like to see the Premiership start earlier, e.g. last/penultimate weekend in July.

On the break thing I agree with you regarding holidays and the need for a break, maybe also pitch maintenance and so on. That said, if it was just a case of replacing some friendlies with these sectional games, then clubs wouldn't be starting back earlier than now. Most friendlies begin start of July. But then doing so mightn't draw good crowds or fan interest. But then if you want to treat it seriously you have to play friendlies earlier, end of June. It's certainly awkward.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Who's driving it - the small Premiership and professional Championship clubs? And what is the thinking with not including the clubs in Europe. It'll be pretty rotten without the best 4 teams.

I'd like to see the Premiership start earlier, e.g. last/penultimate weekend in July.

On the break thing I agree with you regarding holidays and the need for a break, maybe also pitch maintenance and so on. That said, if it was just a case of replacing some friendlies with these sectional games, then clubs wouldn't be starting back earlier than now. Most friendlies begin start of July. But then doing so mightn't draw good crowds or fan interest. But then if you want to treat it seriously you have to play friendlies earlier, end of June. It's certainly awkward.

Apparently (might have read it on this very thread actually in which case I'm throwing your own quote back at you) it is in the SPFL rules that the league can not start before the last week in July.

Dunno who pushed that through, but I agree with you. We should start at the beginning of July, and use them extra three/four weeks to have a break in December, and start the season again on boxing day. Give fans a break in the most expensive month of the year - and if they do want to go to football there'll be lower division games on as presumably they wouldn't have a winter break as smaller clubs have said they couldn't afford it.

Only start August when we've qualified for the Euros or World Cup.

I don't like the idea of a summer league from

March to november, but I would prefer going to games in July rather than a week before xmas.

It would be myself, probably. Rulebook says no league games before 31st July. But rules can be changed, of course.

It's not as if Celtic & AN Other would even need to veto it, the (nonsense of) cancelling games to play friendlies is now well-established.

Personally I wouldn't go quite as far as you, but I'd start the Premiership in July (e.g. July 18th or 25th next season).

I'd then minimise the number of midweek matchdays and/or have a 2-week winter break in January.

Would like to see the seeding removed from the league cup and the Scottish cup returning to its old slot in January getting knocked out the Scottish cup in September or October is bloody depressing. Ideally would like all teams in the Scottish cup from round 1.

Agree with this

The only two change I would make to the league cup is to bring the first couple of rounds forward to Saturdays in July and go from 42 to 32 to 16 in July then play last 16 in August 8 in September, semi finals in October and final on the last Sunday in November.

Keep the seeding as it differentiates the cup from the Scottish and the seeding rewards long term league success.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived