Jim McCrae

PRICEY

I was saddened to hear of the passing of former Kilsyth,Rob Roy and Dunipace player Jim McCrae.Jim who had been ill for some time was tipped for great things when he moved from Kilsyth to Hearts in 1961.Unfortunately two horrific leg breaks curtailed his senior career and returned to the Juniors.

My own knowledge of Jim as a player is him being part of a Dunipace half back line of McCrae Alex Bone and Robert McNab,sadly Alex and Robert are also no longer with us.Jims son Sandy followed in his footsteps playing for both Kilsyth and Dunipace.

Im sure Garrellburn will give more details of Jims career.

My thoughts are with Sandy and the McCrae family

Billy Wallace and Jim Storrie came to Kilsyth as 17 year olds from Kelvinside Thistle (the best team in kirky at that time). They played alongside the legend that was Alex Querrie, also in the team was Gibby Ormond, a junior international, and also Jim McCrae who did later play for Rob-Roy.

They both left Kilsyth in mid season, Wallace to Stenhousemuir and Storrie to Airdrie, You can trace their subsequent careers on the neilbrown website, both played at quite a few senior clubs and are justly well remembered at Celtic and Leeds United repectively.

Jim McCrae was an equal talent and was on the verge of Scottish International recognition at Hearts then had two leg breaks which effectively ended his senior career. He came back to Rob-Roy in the early 60's and played alongside Kenny Knox, another Caurnie lad, also an ex Kilsyth player who had gone to Hibs. Just ask your grandpa about these guys.

Bye the way the SECOND best team in Kirky at that time was Switchgear works team, my good friend Jimmy Stirling (now sadly long gone) played for

them, the team was full of juniors and ex-seniors.

Maybe the fact that Billy and Jim both married into Kilsyth had something to do with their choice of club!

Dug this excellent post out from garrellburn , it's from a query i had regarding Willie Wallace .

The gent was long before my time but was someone my grandfather(a native of camelon, who ended up a passionate Roy supporter of 30 Plus years) would have know of no doubt.

R.i.p

Very sad to hear of Jim's passing. Not got a lot to add regarding details of his career at this point.

He had been ill and housebound for many years after an accident while on holiday in Spain.

He used to frequent the also long gone British Legion Social club in Kilsyth and kept us entertained with tales of his playing days.

Just a post from the Junior cup semi final programme against linlithgow rose in 1969 . The Roy line up , the same team took to the field at hampden to play cambuslang rangers . My old mans 1st Roy game at brockville . Mr McRae name is there half way down.

15700492393_c889ed7f64_b.jpg

Archived