Scotland v Qatar

Lyle Lanley

I reckon Mulgrew will start at left-back against Ireland. I wouldn't pick him there, but Strachan will go for height in the back four I think.

I actually prefer him there. It really isn't great if one of your centre halves is taking corners, it seems to me.

I think he'll start at left back too.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't play Forrest for Aberdeen :lol:

Can't believe the slagging he's getting here, his final ball was pish but he went on a lot of very good runs, was the only guy in the team running past players tonight, he was Scotland's best player after Forsyth

If he improved that final ball he could be a great asset, I expect him to come on against ROI late on if we are chasing the game after that performance tonight

Which is entirely the fecking point. He could make 20 Messi-like runs every match, but if he punts it into the stand every time, it means he has played shite. The final ball is what counts, and his is utter pish.

No matter, he won't be playing against Ireland.

Aberdeen fans are infamous for being terrible judges of players, so you'll forgive me if I just laugh at your opinion.

You probably think that dross like Mark Reynolds and Ryan Jack should be in the team.

Sorry but James Forrest is horrific, the fact is if he played for anyone else he would be nowhere near the team, he isn't even the best at Celtic, GMS is better by miles so his continued selection baffles me. I heard some gave him MOTM on Friday, why? he couldn't Cross a road let alone a football, he constantly makes the wrong decisions.

Also, not all Aberdeen fans have Red Tinted glasses, I happen to feel Ryan Jack is one of the most overrated Aberdeen Players ever, even more so than what Fyvie was, some Dons fans think it is a conspiracy but when likes of Scott Arfield, who played very well in England cannot get a look in and Charlie Adam has just managed to get back In it shows how tight it is to get into the squad in that position, nothing to do with some Anti Aberdeen agenda.

Regarding Mark Reynolds, based on last season he wasn't as good as season before but lets be fair here, he keeps getting called up but is it a little too much to ask for Strachan to give the guy his chance, I imagine he will never say no to a call up but there must come a point when you see pish like Gordon F***in Greer getting starts at 34 years old against Qatar and wonder what you have to do to get a chance?

...........as a side issue......

Gordon Greer should be nowhere near the squad let alone getting starts, if we aspire to qualify for tournaments again and improve as a nation then he needs to be thanked for his service and told that's it as we need to look to the future. I would understand and appreciate if he was a Davie Weir, a Maldini, a John Terry etc, someone who playing at a High Level consistently every week but he is a 34/35 year old journeyman for a struggling Brighton team surely there are younger Scottish players in his position playing every week who deserve a shot?

I don't rate Craig Forsyth either but I would rather he started at LB on Saturday opposed to Whittaker who will likely get the nod due to the "Promotion" bounce with Norwich, even though he has been playing in his natural position..........If he has to start then drop love child Hutton which will never happen.

If Mulgrew starts and we lose and don't qualify that will be the decision that comes back to haunt Strachan and define him, he needs to see past the 1-0 game in November and live in the here and now, he hasn't played in 6 months essentially so he should be no where near the 11, Sub yes, starting no, go with the team that suits and is fit and is In form.

Forrest had a good game Friday night

Just listened to the podcast and Snoddy and the guys thought he might now be in with a shout to start Saturday

I'm not his biggest fan and personally wouldn't play him, but he's definitely just the new scapegoat for the national side now for a lot of folk, him and Ritchie

Gordon Greer should be nowhere near the squad let alone getting starts, if we aspire to qualify for tournaments again and improve as a nation then he needs to be thanked for his service and told that's it as we need to look to the future. I would understand and appreciate if he was a Davie Weir, a Maldini, a John Terry etc, someone who playing at a High Level consistently every week but he is a 34/35 year old journeyman for a struggling Brighton team surely there are younger Scottish players in his position playing every week who deserve a shot?

I don't rate Craig Forsyth either but I would rather he started at LB on Saturday opposed to Whittaker who will likely get the nod due to the "Promotion" bounce with Norwich, even though he has been playing in his natural position..........If he has to start then drop love child Hutton which will never happen.

If Mulgrew starts and we lose and don't qualify that will be the decision that comes back to haunt Strachan and define him, he needs to see past the 1-0 game in November and live in the here and now, he hasn't played in 6 months essentially so he should be no where near the 11, Sub yes, starting no, go with the team that suits and is fit and is In form.

At this moment in time if Gordon Greer is the best available CB fit he should play, simple as that.

Just listened to the podcast and Snoddy and the guys thought he might now be in with a shout to start Saturday

I'm not his biggest fan and personally wouldn't play him, but he's definitely just the new scapegoat for the national side now for a lot of folk, him and Ritchie

He's not a scapegoat, everything being said about his final ball is completely accurate.

He doesn't deserve to start for Scotland atm.

He's not a scapegoat, everything being said about his final ball is completely accurate.

He doesn't deserve to start for Scotland atm.

I know it is, but all the starting 11 have their faults, for me on Friday he was the best player for us after Forsyth, yet he's still being slaughtered for his performance

I don't think he deserves to start either

I don't disagree but with Grant Hanley out do we have a better partner for a one off game than Greer?

Berra maybe? Danny Wilson?

Can't see him breaking up the Maloney-Naismith-Anya trio unless Naismith plays up front. Even if that happens I would think Morrison plays over Forrest.

I know it is, but all the starting 11 have their faults, for me on Friday he was the best player for us after Forsyth, yet he's still being slaughtered for his performance

I don't think he deserves to start either

When the criticism is justified that doesn't make him a scapegoat.

Also being the 2nd best performer against that shite is hardly an achievement.

When the criticism is justified that doesn't make him a scapegoat.

Also being the 2nd best performer against that shite is hardly an achievement.

But it wasn't justified, as he had a good game, a game much better than a lot of other players playing. The other players have all seemed to escape criticism on here yet he hasn't, despite having a good game, regardless of whether it was against Qatar or not.

Scapegoat

But it wasn't justified, as he had a good game, a game much better than a lot of other players playing. The other players have all seemed to escape criticism on here yet he hasn't, despite having a good game, regardless of whether it was against Qatar or not.

Scapegoat

The criticism is of his final ball, was this good or bad?

ETA: A yes or no answer will do.

I don't think WGS played Forrest the other night seriously expecting that he'd force his way into the lineup for the ROI game. I think he just knows Forrest has the potential to be a lot better than any other winger Scotland can call upon just now and wants to see where he is currently at in his slow but seemingly steady recovery from injury.

Seems to me JF is a bit rusty and lacking the confidence to make the right decisions (or execute whatever decisions he makes well) but still stood out as a threat and was one of our better players. And as for his final ball? It was good when it was on the deck (he set up Naismith and a few others IIRC with good, cutting through balls and lay-offs and eliminated their defence with a wee turn near the end), it was just his crossing that was crap. He definitely needs to work on that, but I think anyone focusing on that one negative and ignoring the positives is just looking for a scapegoat. As an earlier poster said, every player in the squad is imperfect, it's how they blend as a team and make their strengths count that matters.

So the criticism is justified then.

Well of his final ball yes. But just because his delivery wasn't great didn't mean he had a bad game

He took players on, made things happen, pushed us up the park and got balls into the box. He had a decent game. Only Forsyth was better.

Some seem determined to slate him no matter what, when you've got Snodgrass saying he thinks Forrests performance could have him in with a shout of a Dublin start surely you have to give the guy a bit of credit for once. Or even just refrain from giving him abuse?

Naismith couldn't finish his tea, Maloney was ineffective, Brown bang average, Anya quiet. Nowhere near the same amount of stick directed towards these guys

I'm not even a Forrest fan, but the way he's been used as a scapegoat, just like Ritchie, isn't fair. He was good compared to most of the team on Friday

I don't think WGS played Forrest the other night seriously expecting that he'd force his way into the lineup for the ROI game. I think he just knows Forrest has the potential to be a lot better than any other winger Scotland can call upon just now and wants to see where he is currently at in his slow but seemingly steady recovery from injury.

Seems to me JF is a bit rusty and lacking the confidence to make the right decisions (or execute whatever decisions he makes well) but still stood out as a threat and was one of our better players. And as for his final ball? It was good when it was on the deck (he set up Naismith and a few others IIRC with good, cutting through balls and lay-offs and eliminated their defence with a wee turn near the end), it was just his crossing that was crap. He definitely needs to work on that, but I think anyone focusing on that one negative and ignoring the positives is just looking for a scapegoat. As an earlier poster said, every player in the squad is imperfect, it's how they blend as a team and make their strengths count that matters.

Agree with this

I really hope he doesn't start on Saturday, I'm not his biggest fan, but if he does I'll give him a clean slate and judge him on how he has played over that 90 minutes

Well of his final ball yes. But just because his delivery wasn't great didn't mean he had a bad game

He took players on, made things happen, pushed us up the park and got balls into the box. He had a decent game. Only Forsyth was better.

Some seem determined to slate him no matter what, when you've got Snodgrass saying he thinks Forrests performance could have him in with a shout of a Dublin start surely you have to give the guy a bit of credit for once. Or even just refrain from giving him abuse?

Naismith couldn't finish his tea, Maloney was ineffective, Brown bang average, Anya quiet. Nowhere near the same amount of stick directed towards these guys

I'm not even a Forrest fan, but the way he's been used as a scapegoat, just like Ritchie, isn't fair. He was good compared to most of the team on Friday

I have no idea why your bringing other players into it, what do they have to do with the criticism of his final ball and poor decision making? I agree others have had poor games but that doesn't mean the criticism of Forrest isn't justified.

I have no idea why your bringing other players into it, what do they have to do with the criticism of his final ball and poor decision making? I agree others have had poor games but that doesn't mean the criticism of Forrest isn't justified.

Because none of them are being criticised, and he is, when he had a better game than they did....

Scapegoat

Archived