The Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2015

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Airdrie10, despite "socially awkward" style and his trigger-happy judgementalism has gone furthest to explain what is really going on behind the scenes.

So far all we've seen is a lot of polished spin but we're no further forward on our 2 key criteria (bigger crowds and better performance).

Since Bollan thankfully left we've had an overhaul of the squad but the quality coming in has been underwhelming including a bizarre long term deal for an older player that we dont understand. We've also had the shit with Danny Lemon apparently backing out of managers job just before we got lumped with Matalan Man who has unfortunately totally lived up to our expectations. Something isn't quite right and I'd certainly like some clarity.

Would be good if Airdrie10 takes a deep breath and carefully details what he knows in a much clearer fashion.

Ever thought of a wee bit of patience. guy has hardly been in the job a matter of weeks and is getting his team together. It's really funny - in a sad way - that some say HE;s FAILED even before hes; got started

Full time next season....interested to see what others think of this? Must be a loose term, although if 60% of the squad are to come from the youth setup (cant remember exact phrase) then you would imagine the hope will be to attract a lot of good youngsters with low cost full time contracts and then sell them on if they prosper.

Pleased to be going full-time and looks like we'll have great facilities. The 60% of the team being from the youth setup stuff is obviously utter fantasy land stuff if you want to remain competitive. Our current youth players aren't good enough to get in a bog standard League One side, yet in 3 years he wants them to make up the majority of a competitive Championship team. Regardless though, we're looking like we are doing the right things and have some sort of a vision to improve the club which is a lot more than we've ever had, so fair play to them. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Full time next season....interested to see what others think of this? Must be a loose term, although if 60% of the squad are to come from the youth setup (cant remember exact phrase) then you would imagine the hope will be to attract a lot of good youngsters with low cost full time contracts and then sell them on if they prosper.

Got to say, I liked the cut of Wotherspoons jib in that interview.

However, I'd rather we had the best Part Time players than the worst full time ones.

The Portuguese was not much better than ordinary tonight. If we're to build a team around him, he better get up to pace soon.

I think the model can work but it's about recruiting a proper spine of full time players and supplementing them with young talent, which we should be able to attract given they will get a chance if good enough. He's obviously aiming at the Hamilton model, yet we don't yet have our Alex Neil.

One note of caution, he said something like "what will we lose, it wasn't working before". That's one line that's got me worried....

Really? I thought he was excellent. Snuffed out El-Bakhtaoui, and therefore killed Dunfermline's creative threat from the off.

Yep, El-Bakhtaoui had plenty of the ball, he was just pish.

Faria did as much as Fitzpatick.

Except getting booked earlier.

Got to say, I liked the cut of Wotherspoons jib in that interview.

However, I'd rather we had the best Part Time players than the worst full time ones.

The Portuguese was not much better than ordinary tonight. If we're to build a team around him, he better get up to pace soon.

I think the model can work but it's about recruiting a proper spine of full time players and supplementing them with young talent, which we should be able to attract given they will get a chance if good enough. He's obviously aiming at the Hamilton model, yet we don't yet have our Alex Neil.

One note of caution, he said something like "what will we lose, it wasn't working before". That's one line that's got me worried....

i think what he was getting at was the decline the club has took in past years and it can't get any worse than what it has bein ...we have had no plan for years ....rebuilding the team every year no support from above .... We now have a plan that might work it might not but least he is willing to take a shot at it .... Airdrie10 how do u feel about the new plan for the club?? Still sticking to your won't be back comments

Really? I thought he was excellent. Snuffed out El-Bakhtaoui, and therefore killed Dunfermline's creative threat from the off.

Was obvious he was to man mark El-Bakhtaoui and for the most part he did a good job i thought, a touch clumsy with his challenges at times but otherwise not to shabby

The prospect of going full - time and the ambition of the chairman is certainly something that excites me.

One thing though is that I'm not sure how sustainable full - time football will be based on our current crowds although TW seems willing to fund it just now and then fund it through the selling of players in the long term.

Sounds like we'll be going with a predominately younger team next season which is good in theory but it will only be successful if we have a core of good experienced players making up the spine of the team for the younger players to work with and learn from. If we don't then it could easily be a disaster with a team of kids who aren't ready or good enough.

60% of the first team being made up of youth players seems seriously over - optimistic at this time but great to see a bit of ambition and long - term planning at the club for a change. It's been missing for too long.

60% of the first team being made up of youth players seems seriously over - optimistic

I think you're misreading things a bit there. He said "homegrown" players, not youths.

Bain, O'Neil, Watt etc are homegrown, in 3 years they'll be well into their 20s. Some of the current U20s have been offered full-time deals already, and they'll be a bit older and wiser.

The point is to have a steady flow from the academy into the first-team, not necessarily to flood the first-team with inexperienced kids.

Archived