Holyrood '16 polls and predictions

Crùbag

Jeane Freeman is going to stand to be my MSP. I'll now have a top quality MP and MSP.

Here she is giving Andrew Neil a humping.

I heard her give a talk on feminism, and she was fucking epic!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, OK. Come the glorious day it will only rain at night and water will start running uphill etc etc. Things are so deeply messed up that either way there are huge challenges ahead and no guarantee of things ending happily ever after. My argument is that the constitution needs to be resolved pronto, and I don't really care which way, so that these challenges actually do start getting addressed properly before the excrement starts to really hit the fan in a big way. Westminster wasn't going to do that over the last few years, if it tipped things towards a Yes in Scotland, because regardless of the propaganda they are not going to easily let go of all the oil and gas. No was supposed to romp it, but 55:45 means that Scotland is probably on the way out of the UK in a 20 year time frame but the route to that destination is unlikely to be quick and easy, so the ongoing uncertainty over that will inevitably get in the way of issues like coming up with a system that ensures there will still be a reasonably generous old age pension waiting for today's younger generations.

I agree with you buddy. I'm happy with sovereignty any way it comes. Christ I'll be happy if the English kick us out. It won't happen in the next few years though. I give it 10

I'm also of the generation who'll be lucky to see any pension. My Papa is kooshty though.

Did you miss the British one :lol:

Thank God for the American bailout :)

Whereas the Irish had an EU bailout.

That being said, the constant comparison with other countries is irrelevant - at the end of the day if the Scottish economy is going to be successful it requires solutions that are specifically Scottish.

Whereas the Irish had an EU bailout.

That being said, the constant comparison with other countries is irrelevant - at the end of the day if the Scottish economy is going to be successful it requires solutions that are specifically Scottish.

EU bailout. American bailout. Doesn't really matters. Ireland is still a successful independent country, relatively speaking.

Ireland does have a better GDP per capita though. As always, you're wrong.

I have not said anything about irelands gdp compared to the uks,only that ireland required financial help from the eu and imf which they will continue to pay off untill the year 2031,

I have not said anything about irelands gdp compared to the uks,only that ireland required financial help from the eu and imf which they will continue to pay off untill the year 2031,

Well don't reply to a poster who specifically mentioned that and only that. Britain will never pay theirs off.

Ireland look like they will completely wipe out their deficit by next year. Like I said, they must be raging that they left the Busted Flush, British Empire.

So, Ireland are 8th in Europe for GDP per head. Currently sandwiched between such countries as Austria and Finland. They look set to wipe out their deficit very soon and they're coming out of austerity.

No bad for a basket case.

EU bailout. American bailout. Doesn't really matters. Ireland is still a successful independent country, relatively speaking.

The point is though that just because one country is successful does not necessarily mean other countries will be successful adopting the same economic policies.

You quote Ireland, Norway and Panama. Kev quotes Greece.

None if them actually matter as they are not Scotland. What works in one country does not always work in another. What doesn't work in another country sometimes works in another.

The point is though that just because one country is successful does not necessarily mean other countries will be successful adopting the same economic policies.

You quote Ireland, Norway and Panama. Kev quotes Greece.

None if them actually matter as they are not Scotland. What works in one country does not always work in another. What doesn't work in another country sometimes works in another.

Someone brought up Ireland as an example of an economic basket case. I was merely telling them that that's not the case. Scotland would be a successful country just like every other Northern European country. I have no doubts about it.

Someone brought up Ireland as an example of an economic basket case. I was merely telling them that that's not the case. Scotland would be a successful country just like every other Northern European country. I have no doubts about it.

Agree. Its just fear from the nawbags. Nae faith in Scotland. Oxymorons the lot of them.

Ireland went through a period of severe austerity to meet the terms of the EU's bailout. The property market collapsed with prices dropping over 20%. Ireland still owes Britain £3 billion which was part of a separate bailout deal.

Norway is my preferred comparison as it is in EFTA rather than the EU. It enjoys the benefits of being in the Single Market without the the political union and Euro baggage.

Finland's economy has stagnated over the last 7 years as a result of the Euro crisis. The Baltic countries have suffered terribly too. An independent Scotland should have its own currency and central bank.

People are still in referendum mode on this. There's a reason why only about 3% of the population in the failed gerryamandered entity under the jackboot of ongoing British military occupation currently want an immediate UI and it's not a suddenly acquired deep love of the Windsors and GSTQ as a national anthem in hardline Republican areas. They know which side their bread is buttered on.

To a large extent the Celtic Tiger was a fleeting phenomenon because the effects of the eastward expansion of the EU and the housing bubble there was genuine and did result in a massive setback for the RoI economically that led to a massive wave of emigration among the younger generation in recent years. It's also worth bearing mind that the RoI has some corporation tax policies that makes it attractive for multinationals to declare their income there, so raw GDP numbers don't tell the whole story.

Does this relate in any way to whether Scotland could make a go of it as an independent state? Naw, which means no in the language of the Ulster Scots. The sensible analogy for Scotland is Norway given the shared oil and gas angle and the huge potential for renewables in electricity supply terms.

Archived