Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Euan Murray has just signed for us, any good?:unsure2:

As "beaver1" says, the outgoing Fraser Kerr would have been a better option at centre-back than Euan Murray, and I'm surprised a club of Raith Rovers' stature didn't go in for him. Anyway, Murray is a big lump of a boy, big chest and shoulders, and a very aggressive defender, someone who would run through a brick wall to get the ball. This is both his strength and his weakness, as there are times where he can be a little reckless - he would need an older, calmer influence alongside him. There were also times where he loses his concentration and there were two occasions during his time at Ochilview where he gave away goals through sheer carelessness.

I hope he does you a good turn.

I would second that sentiment from an East Fife point of view I had hoped he would have been offered a deal for this coming season as I think he had shown enough potential to suggest with a full pre season under his belt he would be a very good right back at League 1 level. He looked a little rusty with the length of time he missed with injury but you could see the timing of his runs and crossing was getting sharper and he was solid defensively. He also filled in at centre half for a game in a back 3 I think and didn't look out of place and with his height he won a lot in the air. Interestingly of the players Barry Smith brought in I think the performance of Nicki Paterson and Alex Cooper in the 3-1 defeat at Ochilview most probably made his mind up about releasing them yet ofbthe three I had thought Duffie deserved a deal. He would be a really good addition at right wing as well if Stenny played with a 3-5-2.

13 minutes ago, passbackdave said:

Had a read at the last 10-15 pages and not a mention of wee vinnie berry. Is he still at stenny? We had him at clydebank hes a smashing player.

Mon the papers

Left to go to America

Chris Smith is an excellent signing - after the disasters of Jamie Barclay and Colin McCabe, it was important Bomber brought in a solid goalkeeper to start the season with, and Smith is the ideal fit. We all know how good a goalie he is, we all know he's a big lump who can command his area, and we all know he can kick the ball for miles. He is an immediate upgrade on his predecessors.

As for Mark Ferry, I'm hoping the brers from Albion Rovers can fill us in but I don't remember him ever being particularly outstanding when we met them last year. He was fantastic at Queen's Park and at Raith Rovers, but that was some time ago. Nonetheless, I hope he's a big success and can help guide us to promotion.