Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Euan Murray any good rumoured to be signing for airdrie.

Interesting stuff. Bomber gave an interview on the club website a couple of weeks saying Euan Murray had an offer of full-time football from a team in England and left to pursue that; it would be a little strange seeing him pitch up against us next year (albeit at a full-time side).

Murray's alright. He's a big lump of a boy, built like the gable end of a house, and he's very aggressive when it comes to aerial duels and 50-50s and the like. He can also fill in at left-back (and up front, where I believe he played for Clyde the season before). He can be a little too rash at times and his willingness to pile into all-or-nothing challenges can sometimes leave him exposed. He's also capable of making some horrendous mistakes - last season against Cowdenbeath he tried a dragback 30 yards from goal, lost the ball, and let them in to score, and in a game against Ayr United he made a square pass on the edge of the penalty area straight to one of their boys.

There's plenty to work with there, though. He's certainly got the natural attributes to make a success of himself.

I was never convinced by Murray. He is certainly a fully committed player, but it would be fair to say he does need  to learn when to take it easy. Maybe he just needs the right partner at the back...

I liked Muzz still a bit raw but can see him as captaining a side in a few years when he gets more experience. Let's remember that was his first year as a starting centre back in this league.

I worried we would get better at the time and as the week's pass I doubt it even more.

I'm wracking my brains for anyone who might be available at centre-back and up front and I genuinely can't think of anyone. Everyone I would have wanted to join us seems to have signed for Alloa Athletic instead! I'm really hoping Bomber and his staff can pull some rabbits out of some hats because, compared to most of the other teams in the division, it's beginning to look a little bleak.

How was Josh Watt for stenny? Apparently signing for qp

Good on him, good to see him coming back to the SPFL with Queen's Park.

We picked Josh Watt up after he'd been released by Motherwell in 2013, I think, but Martyn Corrigan never really used him and punted him on a short-term loan to East Stirlingshire. After Corrigan lost his job, Watt came into the team under Brown Ferguson's temporary charge before really cementing his place in the starting XI under Scott Booth.

For the last three months of the 2013-14 season he was excellent and genuinely exciting to watch. He was a pure winger - he could beat people, drive forward, put in crosses and he was generally our most dangerous player. There was a match against Brechin City on the final day of the campaign and he was superb, a real thrill.

Booth offered Josh a new contract for the next season (2014-15) and everyone had high hopes for him but it never happened at all. Josh had his moments - he scored the winning goals in consecutive games against Stranraer and Peterhead to give the team back-to-back victories for the first time in over 18 months - but he never seemed to do the right thing when he was on the ball. He'd try to beat his man again when he should have fired the ball in first time, and he should have held up play rather than crossing, that kind of thing. His decision-making was particularly poor and fans were pretty quick to get on his back; he seemed to become a target for supporters. Josh was excellent in the play-off semi-final first leg against East Fife but that was another rare high point from that year. It wasn't too big a surprise to see him leave when our safety was confirmed against QP.

I recorded a podcast with Colin McMenamin a couple of months ago and he spoke really highly of Josh Watt and his abilities but said by the time Bomber replaced Booth, his confidence was shattered and he never quite regained the form he had at the end of 2013-14. Get him going and you've got a good asset there.

Come to think of it, he reminds me a bit of Sean Burns.

Good on him, good to see him coming back to the SPFL with Queen's Park.

We picked Josh Watt up after he'd been released by Motherwell in 2013, I think, but Martyn Corrigan never really used him and punted him on a short-term loan to East Stirlingshire. After Corrigan lost his job, Watt came into the team under Brown Ferguson's temporary charge before really cementing his place in the starting XI under Scott Booth.

For the last three months of the 2013-14 season he was excellent and genuinely exciting to watch. He was a pure winger - he could beat people, drive forward, put in crosses and he was generally our most dangerous player. There was a match against Brechin City on the final day of the campaign and he was superb, a real thrill.

Booth offered Josh a new contract for the next season (2014-15) and everyone had high hopes for him but it never happened at all. Josh had his moments - he scored the winning goals in consecutive games against Stranraer and Peterhead to give the team back-to-back victories for the first time in over 18 months - but he never seemed to do the right thing when he was on the ball. He'd try to beat his man again when he should have fired the ball in first time, and he should have held up play rather than crossing, that kind of thing. His decision-making was particularly poor and fans were pretty quick to get on his back; he seemed to become a target for supporters. Josh was excellent in the play-off semi-final first leg against East Fife but that was another rare high point from that year. It wasn't too big a surprise to see him leave when our safety was confirmed against QP.

I recorded a podcast with Colin McMenamin a couple of months ago and he spoke really highly of Josh Watt and his abilities but said by the time Bomber replaced Booth, his confidence was shattered and he never quite regained the form he had at the end of 2013-14. Get him going and you've got a good asset there.

Come to think of it, he reminds me a bit of Sean Burns.

Josh watt was on loan at airdrie a few seasons ago and he was easily a stand out for us, could beat people as you said scored a couple goals as well. Playing with Cumnock juniors now.

I'm wracking my brains for anyone who might be available at centre-back and up front and I genuinely can't think of anyone. Everyone I would have wanted to join us seems to have signed for Alloa Athletic instead! I'm really hoping Bomber and his staff can pull some rabbits out of some hats because, compared to most of the other teams in the division, it's beginning to look a little bleak.

Given our defensive record last season the signing of at least 2 centre backs should have been a priority. I am worried that we will be left with the dross or unknown quality loanees.

Given our defensive record last season the signing of at least 2 centre backs should have been a priority. I am worried that we will be left with the dross or unknown quality loanees.

I don't doubt Bomber and his staff are trying their best to bring players in - I've mentioned it before but I spoke to him at the Player of the Year event and he intimated centre-back (as well as goalkeeper and striker) was a position he would be dealing with as quickly as possible - but it's frustrating to see all the "names" joining other teams.

There's still plenty of time for them to sign up the eight or nine boys we need to put a team together and I know it's important to remain patient, but it's not easy sometimes.

When junior teams can pay more it will always be a struggle. We need more youth coming through and we as supporters need to be patient with them. Hard on a miserable January when you are getting hammered but that's what happens when you support your local team instead of hunting for glory.

Pretty sure we picked up Ciaran Summers after Rangers let him go.

I won't pretend to understand the ins and outs of youth football or where Stenhousemuir fits into the Forth Valley Academy but for all the financial outlay on both instances, I don't think we're seeing the benefits on the pitch (although I'm sure the work the club does in the community is sound). How many boys have come through the youth team to make a lasting impact in the starting XI in recent years? Off the top of my head, Gary Thom, Robert Love, Sean Dickson and Summers.

Anyway, I'm not sure what point "Happy Pebble" is trying to make about junior clubs and youth football (and supporting a local team), the whole thing's a bit of a non-sequitur. 

Anthony Marenghi has signed for East Kilbride

Fair play to him. There's a player in there somewhere but you'll have to go very deep to find it. If he's not on the ball, he looks bone idle. The fact he's gone from Rangers to the Lowland League in a couple of years sums that up.

I wish him well.

Vinnie Berry coming in from Queens Park?

Would be a quality addition and the Robertson release would make a bit of sense at least.

Hardy wee b*****d with ability who will add some grit to the midfield.

Vinnie Berry coming in from Queens Park?

Would be a quality addition and the Robertson release would make a bit of sense at least.

Hardy wee b*****d with ability who will add some grit to the midfield.

Where about are you seeing this?