FIFA officials arrested.

It's fairly ridiculous that the country which invented the game has hosted 1 World Cup. Especially considering that it's a 1st world country with the infastructure to host and a place that people around the world like to visit (not Russia and Qatar).

England didn't invent football, they codified it.

Scotland has never hosted the world - and never will - despite having played a significant part in the development of football. It means very little to anyone these days.

Also, you don't want to visit Russia? seems pretty interesting to me.

1. It would seem obvious that the full UK and Ireland could host a wonderful World Cup together. I guess there are politics within both international football and the british countries which prevent such an event. Obviously Scotland was as important, or close to as important, as England when it comes to the sport of football, but it's not a big enough country to host a 32 nation event on it's own.

2. I'd consider visiting St. Petersburg and Moscow, but would never, ever leave the city center. Russians are terrible people. I lived in Alaska for a bit when I was younger. There's a semi-significant Russian population there. If they were disrespected at a party they'd show up with guns. It was normal for parties to have a ban on any Russian attendees.

1. I lived in Alaska for a bit when I was younger. There's a semi-significant Russian population there. If they were disrespected at a party they'd show up with guns.

Those awful Russians need to know that you only take a gun to the playground or a prayer meeting in the States.

2. I'd consider visiting St. Petersburg and Moscow, but would never, ever leave the city center. Russians are terrible people. I lived in Alaska for a bit when I was younger. There's a semi-significant Russian population there. If they were disrespected at a party they'd show up with guns. It was normal for parties to have a ban on any Russian attendees.

Pesky Chelsea fans

Those awful Russians need to know that you only take a gun to the playground or a prayer meeting in the States.

Yeah, I'm sure 95% of people in Scotland would choose the US over Russia if they were forced to pick a new place to live.

The US isn't much more deadly than the UK outside of the areas controlled by organized crime gangs which is less than 1% of our country's landmass. Those are the spots where the vast, vast majority of innocent bystanders are shot and killed. If you are not in one of those areas you are almost as safe in America as in Scotland. I saw a stat recently where West Baltimore (where the riots recently happened) have a murder rate near 100/100,000. If memory serves me correctly the US as a whole is about 4/100.000, the UK is around 1/100,000, and South Africa is about 30/100,000. We do have crazy people shooting up stuff in normal society because we decided to stop condemning the mentally ill to prison. But even those instances are subject to media drivin hype. We are a country of over 300 million people. Once a year some dumbass kills 5-10 people. It's clearly different from a country like Russia where violence is seen as a legitimate way to solve problems by a large segment of the population.

I'll point out that in Alaska, one of the few states where you don't need a permit to carry a gun outside your house and a place where every street sign outside of a city in shot up with bullet holes from passing cars, the only times I felt danger were the two times Russians showed up with guns. One time they were mad that we wouldn't give away our beer at a time when sales were banned. The drunk Russian dude thought we were disrespecting his promise to pay later. He showed up with a gun an hour later. The other time was due to a fight where the Russian guy came back armed looking for his adversary. The crazy part was that none of the native Alaskans viewed this behavior as extreme. They just said that's how Russians acted.

Edited by Yank Mike

And how often does a domestic drunken argument escalate to murder simply because there's a gun lying around?

I apologize. As dumb as it might sound, I was returning from a Women's World Cup watch party and was wasted when I posted in this thread.* I didn't mean to distract from the terrible organization that is FIFA.

Obviously the USA has a problem where our gun culture leads to escalations. That is how most normal middle class/working class Americans die when it comes to gun violence. It's how anybody in the spots I've lived have died by guns A girl who was ahead of me in high school, and was the softball coach for my sisters, was killed by her husband when she was cheating on him. He was sentenced to life. The last murder in my current town was a situation where a dude killed his girlfriend and the two guys she was banging. It's beyond arguement that our easy access to guns leads to these murders. I've never lived in an area where people were shot randomly, as happens often in the worst parts of my country.

Can we go back to bashing FIFA.

*Sorry, same situation now. Haha. USA>Russia, though.

Edited by Yank Mike

• 4 weeks later...