Current crop of referee's in Junior Football

snoots

Today i witnessed the worst referee i have ever seen in 50 years of watching junior football. It was during a ADL league fixture between Lugar Boswell and Whitletts. I understand the Scottish FA have a big recruitment drive for budding future referee's on at the moment and that at times a referees job can be hard at times. I do understand that these new and up and coming referees should have to start somewhere. But by putting them into the juniour game where the pace of the game can be similar to top flight SPL games is not the answer. I feel more scrutinising of the referees is needed by the sjfa inspectors and more action to be taken against under performers, ie - drop them down to amatuer level. I think most people will agree that the standard level of referees in juniour football has got worse over the years while the standard and pace of the game has increased significantly. I just hope for future we can make a change for the better regarding our referees.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I witnessed a top notch refereeing performance - swings and roundabouts at every level of football from the Champions League to Park football about the quality of refs so dry your tears.

Today at Kilsyth a Super League game had no linesmen. Guess we are running out of officials.

Read the first post and that could be a factor.

It's no easy and with low pay and some of the abuse they take you can see why. Particularly linesmen.

I wouldn't do it, would you ?

Thought the ref today was good at our game and usually is when we have him they dont get it right all the time cos we see it different from them at times

But they are better at than us

The refferee at our game v Renfrew is the best ive saw for a long time

Credit to the ref to at the Clydebank v Bellshill game Mathew MacDermid! Thought he was excellent today for both teams! Great common sense and didn't have an issue speaking to players! Credit to the juniors cause we are all quick to criticise them!

Read the first post and that could be a factor.

It's no easy and with low pay and some of the abuse they take you can see why. Particularly linesmen.

I wouldn't do it, would you ?

£25 for minimum 3 hours of their time, plus unpaid travel time & expenses and have to buy all their kit - clearly they either don't get enough abuse at home, or are looking to move up the ranks!

Credit to the ref to at the Clydebank v Bellshill game Mathew MacDermid! Thought he was excellent today for both teams! Great common sense and didn't have an issue speaking to players! Credit to the juniors cause we are all quick to criticise them!

I've seen this guy a few times and has always handled the games, situations, players and management well. One of the better ones for sure in my opinion along with David Roome.

There are some decent young Referee's coming through but I think the way they are getting fast-tracked doesn't particularly help their development. They are just beginning to find their feet then bang they are up a level and back to square one.

I'd like to see some of the Senior guys who have been there and done it put to use by doing games in the juniors instead of just being sent to the knackers yard. Get some of the promising youngsters running the lines to these guys and they will benefit from their experience.

Jordan Patterson was our ref today he was good made few calls I didn't agree with but answered questions and explained decisions in a friendly manner which its all you can ask for always spoke to players without arrogance or attitude. Had roome last week he was one of the poorest with regards to decision making and asked a question threatened with a booking like the other young ones coming through with a chip on their shoulder. But Jordan Patterson today showed we have a few good refs left who want to interact and enjoy the game and not put barriers up to players

Spoke to a retired junior ref recently who told me the SFA are looking to get as many young fit guys fast track as possible due to the pace of the game nowadays. They don't want guys 40+ refereeing Premier games in Scotland anymore. He admits this is affecting the quality throughout all leagues.... And he is now a ref observer!

It doesn't help the situation, when the conversation refs have on a Saturday night is boasting about how many they have booked and sent off.

Killing the game for me.

These are the same refs that seem to be getting fast tracked.

Something dodgy there.

It doesn't help the situation, when the conversation refs have on a Saturday night is boasting about how many they have booked and sent off.

Killing the game for me.

These are the same refs that seem to be getting fast tracked.

Something dodgy there.

Any proof of this?

The refs get sometimes unfair abuse and who in their right mind would wish to be one. Today the ref got in the way of the ball on four occasions and sent someone off for swearing. Surely dissent is a yellow card offence unless very aggressive and right in refs face?! We got hammered last week v Shettleston and nothing wrong with ref tbh and same kinda incident today he told our player to calm down would have deserved a booking and no complaints but surely can't get reds for swearing?! Jesus....

Archived