Lesmahagow manager Rab Irving resigns

lobey dosser

Copied from Gow Facebook page

It is with sadness that i have to announce that Robert,s decision to step down as manager of Lesmahagow jfc with immediate effect.

We must thank him for his time,effort,and endeavour throughout his 12 yrs at the club as coach and manager.

Robert was told last night that the door would always remain open if he wishes to join the club again in any capacity.

Gerry Bonham and Eric Watson agreed to take training and team proceedings until further notice.

Andrew Irving General Secetary.

A can see were Robert is coming from ,every manager a speak to is the same,,it's all about players attitude s,,going away stags shopping, dinners,, etc,,then once u drop them they ask to be released,, no commitment,, from players, like the way it used to be,,,maybe this is the new breed of juniors,,,,,but if am honest it's killing the game,,,there's average players thinking there superstar s standard has definitely dropped, terribly,last 10 years

A can see were Robert is coming from ,every manager a speak to is the same,,it's all about players attitude s,,going away stags shopping, dinners,, etc,,then once u drop them they ask to be released,, no commitment,, from players, like the way it used to be,,,maybe this is the new breed of juniors,,,,,but if am honest it's killing the game,,,there's average players thinking there superstar s standard has definitely dropped, terribly,last 10 years

I can appreciate your point cotter but you also have to look it from the other side! For example if you have a player that plays football for nothing, as all your boys do, and as do other players throughout the junior set up, then aren't they entitled to go away for a weekend throughout the season?? Where is their incentive to play every week and train twice a night? We all go to work for money do we not? That is our incentive to work? Not comparing work to football because you to have to have a desire to play football but I think boys are entitled to go away over weekends throughout the season no matter what the reason. People have families, friends, partners that put up with them sacrificing 2 nights through the week and a Saturday for the most so think you need to look at it from the other side. I appreciate in your day it wasn't the done thing to miss football, but there are guys out there that bust their arse to get to football no matter what. Personally think clubs have a right to question your commitment if your are being paid a wage. Pay players on a game to game basis that's one way off the top of my head. Also I can understand being a manager it must be frustrating to lose boys over certain weekends but unfortunately I think most managers have to suffer that at some point over the season, some more than others I suppose.

I can appreciate your point cotter but you also have to look it from the other side! For example if you have a player that plays football for nothing, as all your boys do, and as do other players throughout the junior set up, then aren't they entitled to go away for a weekend throughout the season?? Where is their incentive to play every week and train twice a night? We all go to work for money do we not? That is our incentive to work? Not comparing work to football because you to have to have a desire to play football but I think boys are entitled to go away over weekends throughout the season no matter what the reason. People have families, friends, partners that put up with them sacrificing 2 nights through the week and a Saturday for the most so think you need to look at it from the other side. I appreciate in your day it wasn't the done thing to miss football, but there are guys out there that bust their arse to get to football no matter what. Personally think clubs have a right to question your commitment if your are being paid a wage. Pay players on a game to game basis that's one way off the top of my head. Also I can understand being a manager it must be frustrating to lose boys over certain weekends but unfortunately I think most managers have to suffer that at some point over the season, some more than others I suppose.

I know what you're saying Spud, but there has to be a little bit more respect for the work a Manager does in preparation for training and games. Telling the Gaffer on a Monday you're not there for a Saturday due to a holiday is bad form, how many people genuinely don't know about holidays until a week before? And I can't count how many planned training sessions I've seen ruined as players just don't trap or send a txt 15 minutes before to say they can't get away.

I've also witnessed a drop in the respect for team-mates, as Cotter points out as soon as someone doesn't start then they're chapping the door asking away. In my day I would have a look at myself and fight to get back involved, these days guys just walk away and don't seem to have grasped the concept of a squad. I get your point about money but manners cost nothing and sometimes I don't see the same respect from some of the players at this level that I've seen in years gone by. That said, I can't imagine too many of the 'Gow players were playing for fun of it so Rab is entitled to ask for a level of commitment from these guys?? Maybe I'm just too old fashioned....

I know what you're saying Spud, but there has to be a little bit more respect for the work a Manager does in preparation for training and games. Telling the Gaffer on a Monday you're not there for a Saturday due to a holiday is bad form, how many people genuinely don't know about holidays until a week before? And I can't count how many planned training sessions I've seen ruined as players just don't trap or send a txt 15 minutes before to say they can't get away.

I've also witnessed a drop in the respect for team-mates, as Cotter points out as soon as someone doesn't start then they're chapping the door asking away. In my day I would have a look at myself and fight to get back involved, these days guys just walk away and don't seem to have grasped the concept of a squad. I get your point about money but manners cost nothing and sometimes I don't see the same respect from some of the players at this level that I've seen in years gone by. That said, I can't imagine too many of the 'Gow players were playing for fun of it so Rab is entitled to ask for a level of commitment from these guys?? Maybe I'm just too old fashioned....

No certainly not old fashioned. The points you have made are certainly valid and got to say I wouldn't be happy with some of those excuses. Yeah most guys will know about a holiday weeks in advance and to give the manager notice is only fair. Also as you say the 15 min text before training is just unacceptable unless it's a exceptional circumstance. But maybe players don't say anything incase that puts them out the team in the weeks leading up to the holiday, night out etc. Not agreeing with it but just giving some excuses that could be possibly used. Was making my original point regarding stag do's, holidays, family things then boys are entitled to go.

spud am not just speaking about ants.....it shoudnt matter were u get money or not ,its attitude n commitment,,i have been managing ants for 16 years,n never paid,,but the last 2 -3 years,the amount of players that miss games n training is shocking...we all bust our arse to get to training,,its a choice players n coaches n managers make,,,so if the players agree to sign for any club,,,they should give 100%,all the time,,,,,,,as u know a know most managers,,and its the same at every club,,,players attitudes are poor,,if ,they don't start,,,i have released 6 players in 3 weeks for that reason,,,,because, they say am not enjoying it now,,but when they were playing it was great,,,,times change mate,,,a was never a great junior player,,,but a look at most gamesi n all divisions,,n u would be lucky if 3 or 4 would have got a game,,at there clubs 10-15 years ago,,,n a lot of them want to command big bucks,,,they should be thanking some of the clubs for giving them a chance n a game at there clubs,,,cheers cotter

spud am not just speaking about ants.....it shoudnt matter were u get money or not ,its attitude n commitment,,i have been managing ants for 16 years,n never paid,,but the last 2 -3 years,the amount of players that miss games n training is shocking...we all bust our arse to get to training,,its a choice players n coaches n managers make,,,so if the players agree to sign for any club,,,they should give 100%,all the time,,,,,,,as u know a know most managers,,and its the same at every club,,,players attitudes are poor,,if ,they don't start,,,i have released 6 players in 3 weeks for that reason,,,,because, they say am not enjoying it now,,but when they were playing it was great,,,,times change mate,,,a was never a great junior player,,,but a look at most gamesi n all divisions,,n u would be lucky if 3 or 4 would have got a game,,at there clubs 10-15 years ago,,,n a lot of them want to command big bucks,,,they should be thanking some of the clubs for giving them a chance n a game at there clubs,,,cheers cotter

I know you weren't just talking about the ants mate. The attitude of players may well have changed over the past 5-10 years. I can't say as a player I have noticed that personally but you could possibly be right. The point I was trying to make was is it really a big deal if guys go away for a holiday, stag do, work etc for a weekend throughout the season? Does that make them not committed to club? As I stated I can understand the frustration as a manager of having players away but I think it's all part and parcel of the job. Everyone playing junior does sacrifice something to be a part of it from players and managers to committee and volunteers. Some more than others I might add, but everyone gives something up to do it. Would you decry a committee member for going on holiday or stag do through the season??

No certainly not old fashioned. The points you have made are certainly valid and got to say I wouldn't be happy with some of those excuses. Yeah most guys will know about a holiday weeks in advance and to give the manager notice is only fair. Also as you say the 15 min text before training is just unacceptable unless it's a exceptional circumstance. But maybe players don't say anything incase that puts them out the team in the weeks leading up to the holiday, night out etc. Not agreeing with it but just giving some excuses that could be possibly used. Was making my original point regarding stag do's, holidays, family things then boys are entitled to go.

Spot on, no issue with that, but give as much notice as possible and don't spit the dummy if you come back and don't walk back into the starting line up. It's a team game but some players think it's all about the team until they aren't playing, then it's all about them. Maybe unfair to some, but can only comment on what I see and hear going on at clubs now compared to 10-15 years ago.

Feel we've derailed the original post somewhat, but losing a good Juniors man like Robert in this manner for these reasons will start a debate. Hope to see him back in the game soon.

Archived