League reconstruction: Let's hear your view

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Shut up Edward. 

Shut up old man. Your abusive to anyone who posts ideas. People have a right to have say like it or not. You be abuse everyone who posts. 

Just now, Edward said:

Shut up old man. Your abusive to anyone who posts ideas. People have a right to have say like it or not. You be abuse everyone who posts. 

Errm, how can I put this?... Shut up Edward.

2 minutes ago, Edward said:

A Premier League of 16 clubs playing 30 games a season top four play for league and European places. 5th through 12th play off two groups of four with the winners of each group play each other to play the forth placed team from the top group. 

Bottom four two down and two in relegation play offs. In the sense four teams can be relegated and promoted. 

Championship of 14 Clubs 26 games and league one and tow merge into one league of 20 clubs with 38 games two are promoted to championship and bottom has to play the winner of the Lowland or highland Leagues 

The top two leagues have to field five under 25 Scottish born players each game with the other five can be foreign and over 25. It will help nature Scotland young players. 

The idea works and is far better than what Scotland has now. Celtic and Rangers fans want the game to stay the same. Others don't

Just now, Edward said:

Yeah right come on then lets hear it. 

Five ideas on how to reform the league from top to bottom. 

Well, their wrote down in my jotter, but I left it at my gran's bit.

B teams - both teams in the Premiership is a B team.  

You get Rangers B and Celtic B and they play eachother, live on Sky.  There are other teams as well, it doesn't matter how many. 

Get some team from Wales to play. 

Rangers B get one penalty every game. 

Free tickets for soldiers.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/04/2024 at 15:12, Oldster said:

I still prefer 3 divisions of 14 and a 40 game season.  It's just whether the possibility of divisions without splits and more variety of fixtures (and a bit more dosh) are incentives enough for clubs to change their slightly self-imposed rules constraining the fixtures dates.

How would that work, then?

On 15/07/2024 at 19:02, Jacksgranda said:

Play each other twice gives 26 games. Split in to top six and bottom eight. Bottom eight play each other twice so another 14 games gives 40. Top six play each other twice gives another ten games gives 36. Then split in to top three and bottom three. Play each other twice giving a further four games = 40

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2024 at 19:02, Jacksgranda said:

It's explained a bit further up the thread.  Basically, 14 teams in the division with a triple round-robin gives 39 games each - but, before that, there's a an initial round of derbies to start the season.  It's meant to be a way to fit in the 4 Old Farm fixtures for TV money yet removes the split.  

Or they could just stick with 39 games each, where all fixtures and dates are known in advance, except who plays at home for the last 13 matchdays is decided based on the table after 26 games each.  1st plays at home to 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc; 2nd plays at home to 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc.; and so on.  More detail further up this thread.

I think a problem with the league being too cut-throat is that the top division has always hoarded the money too much.  With the team currently finishing 13th (Championship winners) only being paid half the money of the team finishing 12th (bottom of Premiership).  They should just have a gradual taper right through, regardless of the divisions.  Also, if they had a couple of automatic relegation places from the top division then it would make it easier for clubs to come back up the following season, with play off places down to 5th making some kind of relative success easier to attain.  Overall, less pressure on boards to sack managers, so managers are able to use younger players without fear of the sack.

On 22/07/2024 at 17:32, Nowhereman said:

Play each other twice gives 26 games. Split in to top six and bottom eight. Bottom eight play each other twice so another 14 games gives 40. Top six play each other twice gives another ten games gives 36. Then split in to top three and bottom three. Play each other twice giving a further four games = 40

That's original.  Maybe the bottom 8 would need something at the top of their section to play for.

Regarding revenue and 14 team divisions. 

If it was 39 games each in the Premiership then that would be 45 more matches to sell every season than we now have, which would possibly offset the commercial income lost from one fewer Old Firm derby and offset matchday income lost from some teams playing the bigger clubs less often.

There's also the consideration that the two new clubs coming into the division would be of a decent size.  For instance - with the Championship's current leaders - I would compare Ayr's home support to Ross County or St. Johnstone, and Falkirk's to Dundee or St. Mirren.  I don't see any dilution in quality there, either.

I'm not sure if larger leagues give more opportunities for youth development, because to keep those leagues interesting there needs to be additional promotion/relegation places to battle for.

If they did go to 3 divisions of 14, there would be very little difference in the overall number of games outwith the top division.  I calculate it to be 546 games over 2 divisions of 14, versus 540 games over 3 divisions of 10 - but you lose 6 play off matches with one fewer division, so it's about equal.

Edited by footnotes

Well, in the recent SFA report about talent development nearly everyone they surveyed within Scottish clubs identified small divisions as the main obstacle to playing youngsters.  It's briefly described in Issue 4.  They ought to know why they can't develop more players.  But maybe it's just a Trojan horse to be ridden to escape playing the same opponents so many times!

If that's what the people involved are saying then there'll be something in it.

I can see that a 14 team league with no split would remove the desperation of trying to reach a 'top 6' place.  I don't know if that's just for kudos, or if it's because they're cut off early from a run at Europe, or trying to escape the risk of relegation.

I suppose the current risk of 1/6 being relegated could be worse than the certainty of 1/7 being relegated if it was a 14 team league with 2 automatic relegation places.  With 14 teams and no split, maybe finishing 7th-10th becomes more acceptable, developing players with a view towards building for future seasons.

No wonder clubs outside the top division won't risk developing many young players if potentially 1/5 are relegated with no decent financial recompense.

Edited by footnotes

Two options for Scotland to go back in time and bring back. 

1 A top league of 18 playing  34 games and first division of 20 with 38 games used up to 1974-75 Season. 

2 Three leagues with a top league of 10 clubs playing 36 games no split  Bottom two relegated. And two divisions of 14 playing 39 games. Used in Season 1976 onwards to the 1993 season. 

Hi Ed - can you remember the number of teams promoted and relegated when it was divisions of 14?  I can't recall it.

I see you're going for league reconstruction rather than league restructuring.  Retro.  I prefer a top division of 12, with a double split at 33 games, play opponents once more, and a play off with 5th away to 4th depending upon the Scottish Cup winners.  Relegate two from each division, and expand to 4 divisions of 12, same system in each division with play offs from 2nd-5th.

I still think fairer revenue distribution is the better way to deal with the talent development problem.  Not sure why the league winners are given 13.6% of prize money when they make so much from the Champions' League.

It was 2 directly promoted from the second level for quite a while in the '80s - but it might have been reduced to 1 automatic, plus 1 in a playoff with bottom of the Premier in the end.  2 were directly relegated to the third level, too.  That wouldn't be enough to keep the leagues interesting.  

I can see that (in leagues of 12) having a middle four after 33 games would take some of the pressure off, as it would be a kind of repechage, but it would surely be easier just to have open leagues of 14 teams and no split?  3 leagues of 14, which would also raise the Lowland, Highland and the rest up a level.  Maybe you would only want to relegate 2 automatically from the Premiership, with 1st in the Championship going up and 2nd-5th in the playoffs.  Then have Championship-League One a bit more fluid, with two directly relegated and 3rd bottom in the playoffs with 2nd-5th from League One.

Edited by footnotes

A more radical Structure would be a ten team league playing 18 games then a split of top 6 playing a further 10 games and the bottom 4 joining forces with the Championship top four for four promotion places further playing 14 games. Ensuring a Challenge who can get in to the top four to be promoted.  As for league one and two split them into four groups of 12 clubs with the top four of each group playing each other for one place in the Championship.

Scottish Premier League of ten clubs 

Championship of 12 clubs 

League one of Four Groups of 12 clubs

League two has been merged with league one. 

The result would be yes radical but Scotland has nation has to make its league exciting and different like all small nations to ensure sponsorship/ Interest for fans as well