Cowden V Ayr

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one will depend on which Cowdenbeath turn up. Will it be the one which is 2nd on goals conceded or the one which is 1 win from 5th place.

Stevo is back home just at the right time with injuries being a nightmare.

I just hope we can grab the 3 points.

Believe.

Do any of the pubs on the high street serve food around 5ish? Know wee Jimmys does lunch but not sure what time they stop.

Not sure when Wee Jimmies stops serving food Grant give them a phone. The Shimla will be open nice and near the ground.

Bit off topic but where about in Hampshire do you live I family down that way.

Edited to add

Just remembered that the Dunvegan does evening meals. Never been in but their meant to be decent.

Do any of the pubs on the high street serve food around 5ish? Know wee Jimmys does lunch but not sure what time they stop.

Try the dunvegan. Just off the high street at the roundabout where morrisons is. Been a while since i've been in there but used to be good.

ETA Cowdenbeath beat me to it again.

Crucial match, if everyone including Gilmour is out, 4:3:3 with Forrest and Trouten either side of Moore.

Fleming

Devlin

Mclauchlan

Graham

Donald

Stevo

Murphy

Crawford

Trouten

Moore

Forrest

I don't think this would work as a 4-3-3 in practice. Given Stevenson's fitness issues and that Murphy can hardly move, Crawford would have to do pretty much an entire midfield's worth of running by himself. Trouten and Forrest would then have to drop back to help out and it'd end up as a 4-5-1 with Moore probably spending a lot of time isolated. Either that or Forrest and Trouten would get in each other's way when drifting inside and it'd switch to a 4-4-1-1 with one going to the left, Crawford being shunted out to the right and a horrendously immobile centre midfield of Stevenson and Murphy.

I'd probably start the same as on Saturday but switch McLaughlan for Murphy and Crawford for Gilmour. McLaughlan is a better defender than Murphy and if Stevenson is going to be sitting deep and playing long balls then I don't think we need Murphy there to do it as well. I think Crawford and Stevenson would probably give a nice balance to the midfield with Stevenson sitting deep and Crawford breaking forward. As good as Gilmour was yesterday, him and Stevenson took up a lot of similar positions and it left a lot of distance between them and the strikers. I'd also be tempted to put Caldwell in in place of Preston, but I haven't been to a lot of games recently and that's purely on the basis of yesterday.

Slightly concerned that that's a more attacking line-up than I'd like in a game like this, and ideally I'd want to replace Trouten in particular with someone who'd tuck in more, but I really don't see us creating much with one upfront.

I don't think this would work as a 4-3-3 in practice. Given Stevenson's fitness issues and that Murphy can hardly move, Crawford would have to do pretty much an entire midfield's worth of running by himself. Trouten and Forrest would then have to drop back to help out and it'd end up as a 4-5-1 with Moore probably spending a lot of time isolated. Either that or Forrest and Trouten would get in each other's way when drifting inside and it'd switch to a 4-4-1-1 with one going to the left, Crawford being shunted out to the right and a horrendously immobile centre midfield of Stevenson and Murphy.

I'd probably start the same as on Saturday but switch McLaughlan for Murphy and Crawford for Gilmour. McLaughlan is a better defender than Murphy and if Stevenson is going to be sitting deep and playing long balls then I don't think we need Murphy there to do it as well. I think Crawford and Stevenson would probably give a nice balance to the midfield with Stevenson sitting deep and Crawford breaking forward. As good as Gilmour was yesterday, him and Stevenson took up a lot of similar positions and it left a lot of distance between them and the strikers. I'd also be tempted to put Caldwell in in place of Preston, but I haven't been to a lot of games recently and that's purely on the basis of yesterday.

Slightly concerned that that's a more attacking line-up than I'd like in a game like this, and ideally I'd want to replace Trouten in particular with someone who'd tuck in more, but I really don't see us creating much with one upfront.

Is Caldwell an out and out striker? His miss whilst clean through was abysmal. There are ways to miss those chances but what he managed to do was very un-striker-like.

Wouldn't disagree, only issue is as you say its very attacking. No one in midfield is particularly defensive. But then with so many people out its our only option, Cowdenbeath aren't great defensively so it could work if we start well!

Is Graham capable of playing LB? He looked ok at RB against Dunfermline, obviously not a great deal of pace but thought he did reasonably well.

Also Preston doesnt seem to be very highly rated with quite a few supporters. Whys that?

Try the dunvegan. Just off the high street at the roundabout where morrisons is. Been a while since i've been in there but used to be good.

ETA Cowdenbeath beat me to it again.

Not sure when Wee Jimmies stops serving food Grant give them a phone. The Shimla will be open nice and near the ground.

Bit off topic but where about in Hampshire do you live I family down that way.

Edited to add

Just remembered that the Dunvegan does evening meals. Never been in but their meant to be decent.

Cheers guys, hadn't considered it but it does ring a bell that the Dunvegan does food, not been in a couple of years but it sounds well worth a shot.

And I've moved to Berkshire now CowdenConvert, I did love up the North Eastern part of Hampshire near Alton, the weather is a bit nicer than Kelty.

Why not try one of the 20s boys who look like they're goin really well with there results and reports . Can it really go horribly wrong with a young fit player Wardrop , McCready , McGuffie , in beside Stevo or Murphy ? Bit of legs or a sitter . They seem to be doin good going by reports . Watched them most games at home . Good young pros .

Why not try one of the 20s boys who look like they're goin really well with there results and reports . Can it really go horribly wrong with a young fit player Wardrop , McCready , McGuffie in beside Stevo or Murphy ? Bit of legs or a sitter . They seem to be doin good going by reports . Watched them most games at home . Good young pros .

Ive nothing against trying to get youngsters into first team action but surely you'd play Crawford before one of the (even) younger boys?

Is Caldwell an out and out striker? His miss whilst clean through was abysmal. There are ways to miss those chances but what he managed to do was very un-striker-like.

Yeah he's been a striker since he broke through at Hibs. It was a poor miss, although to offer a (slight) defence of him, the ball is noticeably bobbling when he hits it. That chance is actually quite a good example of why I'd consider putting Caldwell in though. Even though he missed, the chance only came about because he aggressively chased a nothing ball down and forced his way through, although he was fortunate with the way the ball held up on the pitch. Maybe it was an off-game but I thought Preston's play yesterday was just a bit tepid in general and I don't think he'd have knocked his pan in to create that chance in the way that Caldwell did.

ETA - for what it's worth I'm still a big fan of Preston and do rate him highly. I just thought he looked a bit off the pace yesterday.

How's the pitch looking now? To be ok today in Cowden then rain overnight with sunshine tomorrow, good chances of a postponement?

On the game itself, let's not worry too much about being defensive. We have shown in the first game v Cowden we can attack. Best form of defence is attack, worry about our own attacking game rather than theirs. Think Gilmour will miss tomorrow and still think Adams is out.

Fleming

Devlin Graham McLauchlan Donald

Stevenson Crawford

Trouten Forrest

Moore Preston

Subs: Newman, Muir, McCracken, Murphy, Caldwell

Going for a tight affair, 2-0 Ayr with goals from Moore and Forrest again. Is Illuminati available for a pre match pint? :cheers

Archived