Younger guys in safa

Talkin baws

There's always moans about the Blazers etc being out of touch with the modern game etc, so how do we get younger guys involved at the safa, on council on committees etc?

I'm 45 this year and I'm one of the youngest, I have been the Vice President of the safa from 2010-2014 probably by default lol

Recently two younger guys got involved in council from the safl, Graeme Mair from Ayrshire is on the exec,myself and Alison black from the Sunday central and Chris lowrie from leafa Sunday , Craig Burton ssmfl, he looks old right enough.

How can we encourage others?

What stops them getting involved?

How do we go about changing.

Ps I've made a promise to myself that when I reach 60 I step down to allow others to come in, the interest must be there though.

Now I'm not saying the rest are past it or too old I'm saying there's nothing coming through.

That's not easy. Most younger guys just don't have the time that these posts require. They've either got young families, run or help run clubs which is becoming harder and harder. Both of these are very time consuming. The older guys will in the main have more time to commit to doing these jobs properly. The theory of getting some younger members on the committee is a good one but in reality it's most likely going to continue to be dominated by the elder statesmen of the Amateur game, with the no doubt smaller % of those a bit younger involved.

I think that one day I will get involved at an association level but allaboutgoals is spot on with his reasons for the lack of youth on the committee's currently. I run a team, work full time, work for myself and have a young family so, as you imagine, simply do not have the time for another commitment. Most other's will be be working full time and running teams too so will not have the time.

For this reason, I think that the large majority of associations will always be made up of older guys who perhaps have a bit more time on their hands

Lol , I run two business, president of Sunday central afl and central regions 35s, chairman of Strathclyde Saturday morning, sit on safa council, general purposes, Sunday western Exec,Sfa regional committee and that's me reduced my workload, I'm 44 but must look 64 now lol

I also have a wife and two kids, only the football that keeps me from getting a divorce,

Oh forgot to mention recently started an amateur football tv program talkin baws, it's no time I need it's a &@"! Life.

Guys get involved the game needs new blood

Lol , I run two business, president of Sunday central afl and central regions 35s, chairman of Strathclyde Saturday morning, sit on safa council, general purposes, Sunday western Exec,Sfa regional committee and that's me reduced my workload, I'm 44 but must look 64 now lol

I also have a wife and two kids, only the football that keeps me from getting a divorce,

Oh forgot to mention recently started an amateur football tv program talkin baws, it's no time I need it's a &@"! Life.

Guys get involved the game needs new blood

That's great pal and credit to you, not everyone's wife is as understanding tho! Keep up the good work tho

• 3 weeks later...

I hear whit yer sayin TalkinBaws but this isnae gonnae change. Most secretaries jobs are time consuming. Balancing running a fitba club along with trying tae hold a full time job is a very hard thing tae dae as it is without giving any spare time up to sit on committees etc. Full credit tae yie for the time you put in tae the game but am afraid these roles are for the retired. Always has been and always will be as this is a voluntary way of life.

Archived