Potential Signings for Top Table

Rangers are just a Championship side who'll get found out in the premiership, where they'll be up against the top sides who are head and shoulders above warburtons never beens.....

Though it pains me to say it, the rest of Scottish fitba has regressed over the last four years and has met New Rangers somewhere in the middle.  Except United - we're regressed even further.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Though it pains me to say it, the rest of Scottish fitba has regressed over the last four years and has met New Rangers somewhere in the middle.

That's about the size of it and it's not necessarily a particularly bad thing.

The worry - and tbh I think it's what'll happen - is that the both bits of the OF will raise their games in response to each other, exerting the advantage their resources confer on them over everyone else.

We'll probably wind up back where we were. It would be nice to think that their level won't be much different from that reached by Aberdeen or Hearts, but I suspect that won't be the case.

It's been great, but I suspect that the fixed illusion of competition that was normal service, is now being resumed.

That's about the size of it and it's not necessarily a particularly bad thing. The worry - and tbh I think it's what'll happen - is that the both bits of the OF will raise their games in response to each other, exerting the advantage their resources confer on them over everyone else. We'll probably wind up back where we were. It would be nice to think that their level won't be much different from that reached by Aberdeen or Hearts, but I suspect that won't be the case. It's been great, but I suspect that the fixed illusion of competition that was normal service, is now being resumed.

I agree entirely.

I think our current team has reached its maturity and the downward trajectory will begin in the next year or so (that is unless Mcinnes proves his mettle and starts revitalising the team now).  Hearts are doing great but there is a glass ceiling for them too.

The arms race will now begin in earnest, Celtic had a wake up call yesterday and will spend accordingly.  They might even have a manager in place this summer that can use that budget wisely.  Rangers will take a bit more time but eventually that spending will begin.  In the meantime they have a switched on manager who clearly knows the English lower leagues very well and can sign a gem or two that Celtic would never spot.

In terms of DA's point I don't think Scottish football has regressed.  I think Celtic certainly have but we have some good teams now playing good football.

Over a season with what we've got, I'm going for a top four in amongst arts and the sheep.

Maybe better depending on who we bring in and our system won't be changed for anykunt.

Rangers chairman Dave King says the club "won't relax" after their Scottish Cup semi-final win over Celtic.

King stressed that, if Rangers are going to challenge for the Premiership, it's important they strengthen the squad and get "a few more players in".

He also admitted that achieving European football next season would have an effect on their recruitment.

"We still have a plan to improve on the team during the summer," King told the Rangers website.

"We are back, but we won't relax about it."

Rangers only named five substitutes at Hampden Park.

"The squad was very light," said King. "I think the players that we had on the park were fantastic, but next year, if we're going to challenge for the title, it is important that we still strengthen the squad and get a few more players in.

I agree entirely.

I think our current team has reached its maturity and the downward trajectory will begin in the next year or so (that is unless Mcinnes proves his mettle and starts revitalising the team now).  Hearts are doing great but there is a glass ceiling for them too.

The arms race will now begin in earnest, Celtic had a wake up call yesterday and will spend accordingly.  They might even have a manager in place this summer that can use that budget wisely.  Rangers will take a bit more time but eventually that spending will begin.  In the meantime they have a switched on manager who clearly knows the English lower leagues very well and can sign a gem or two that Celtic would never spot.

In terms of DA's point I don't think Scottish football has regressed.  I think Celtic certainly have but we have some good teams now playing good football.

King has already said that the ideal for him would be Rangers winning 55% of league titles, while Celtic win 45%.

Everyone else's job is literally to make up the numbers.

A sickening vision of the sport in this country.

A fix that masquerades as competition. Apparently, it's what we all need.

King has already said that the ideal for him would be Rangers winning 55% of league titles, while Celtic win 45%.

Everyone else's job is literally to make up the numbers.

A sickening vision of the sport in this country.

A fix that masquerades as competition. Apparently, it's what we all need.

Time for a wee bit of honesty. At the moment as far as the league title is concerned it's a one horse race. A race where Celtic don't have to be very good to beat everyone else. Without any genuine challengers you would have a competition where the same team could possibly win the league for the next twenty years. How can that be healthier than a two horse race ?

It would appear that many on here would be happy to have the same team winning the title year after year.

:lol:!! Here we go again!!

:lol:

any of you fuckwits what to suggest that we wont finish second after our display at the weekend? bearing in mind that a) 3 out of our 4 top forwards were missing  and b) we will sign 4 or 5 better players as starters in the the summer

I think there are many Premiership players who could improve this Rangers team - you don't have a great team. As you say Halliday isn't good enough, defence is poor I'd be looking at replacing the centre halves at the very least. Up front there isn't enough, Waghorn may have scored a few tap ins and penalties but he isn't good enough. Failed English Championship & League 1 players aren't the answer. I think the Rangers team needs vast improvement for next season. Rangers looked good this season against weak opposition, this team won't get the same easy ride in the Premiership.

I saw Forrester got a new deal that isn't exactly a statement of intent that Rangers are going to challenge for the league if he is the calibre of player Warburton is looking to sign for next season.

I expect the response of we beat Dundee 4-0 but over the course of the season this team won't challenge for what the Rangers fans expect next season.

A team missing 4 regulars (including our top scorer) that still managed to get past the side that will canter the Premiership this year. Can't be all that bad eh? Maybe it just shows how worthless the last 3 SPL titles have been without our presence and competition. Along with McKay, Halliday had his best game in Rangers shirt on Sunday, I don't think you'll find many Bears who won't want him in the side next season.

A couple of additions yes, wholesale changes no, not that I think Warburton will throw caution to the wind anyway, even if he's given a fund to play with, it isn't going to break the bank.

Vast improvements!? I think our most recent performances against top tier sides have shown that's not really the case.

Warburton and his side have learned much from the St Johnstone game, yes we've given a few sloppy goals away late in games, but we haven't looked nowhere near as vulnerable since.

He's got a very capable side, that will need to adapt, but will certainly push the rest next season. Think most can see that.

Time for a wee bit of honesty. At the moment as far as the league title is concerned it's a one horse race. A race where Celtic don't have to be very good to beat everyone else. Without any genuine challengers you would have a competition where the same team could possibly win the league for the next twenty years. How can that be healthier than a two horse race ?

It would appear that many on here would be happy to have the same team winning the title year after year.

The same Bigots have won the League for the last 30 years.

FFS

And a bit more honesty. One horse or two makes no difference, no difference whatsoever, to the majority of us who follow our local teams. A team from Glasgow with horrible sectarian baggage has won the league for the last thirty years or more. That is unlikely to change. 

The cups are a different matter, where only one massively-budgeted club has had to have an off-day to make the competition more even, rather than two, Recent years have been an absolute boon to the providers of open-top buses. 

The disappointment for me, as for many, is that the death of rangers has not led to the atrophy of celtic to the extent we'd hoped for. Not yet, at least. I'm sure I'm not alone in having looked upon their demise as a start, rather than job done. 

The anger I feel is not against rangers or celtic (or their fans) - bigots gonna bigot, and we'd have been foolish to expect anything else - but against the Game's governing bodies for their craven fear of the possibilities of a new dawn for our game, and the blatant lies from Armageddon and social unrest to "at last everyone can watch the one game that matters in our country". Absolute nonsense, and deliberate lying on a grand level, and a disgrace to the sport and their country. 

From the stupid folksongs and banners at parkhead to the continuous sectarian shite at almost every ground in Scotland (except ibrox, natch), we would do well to get rid of the fucking pair of them. 

And there was a chance. Just think on that. There actually was a chance. 

I genuinely think Rangers will win the league next season. They have a great manager and, provided they keep him, I think they will harness this (ridiculous) sense of injustice they feel. Their fans will be right behind them for every game and I wouldn't be surprised if they went on a winning run right at the start of the season.

Celtic have been treading water for 4 seasons and will find it hard to generate the same level of momentum that Rangers already have.

If Warbuton gets poached then that could change things. But as things stand I fancy Rangers to sneak it.

I genuinely think Rangers will win the league next season. They have a great manager and, provided they keep him, I think they will harness this (ridiculous) sense of injustice they feel. Their fans will be right behind them for every game and I wouldn't be surprised if they went on a winning run right at the start of the season.

Celtic have been treading water for 4 seasons and will find it hard to generate the same level of momentum that Rangers already have.

If Warbuton gets poached then that could change things. But as things stand I fancy Rangers to sneak it.

So Bigot FC continuing to win the Top League

32 years in a row.

And isn't it fabulous for the whole of Scottish Football.

MEDIA WANKFEST

And a bit more honesty. One horse or two makes no difference, no difference whatsoever, to the majority of us who follow our local teams. A team from Glasgow with horrible sectarian baggage has won the league for the last thirty years or more. That is unlikely to change. 

The cups are a different matter, where only one massively-budgeted club has had to have an off-day to make the competition more even, rather than two, Recent years have been an absolute boon to the providers of open-top buses. 

The disappointment for me, as for many, is that the death of rangers has not led to the atrophy of celtic to the extent we'd hoped for. Not yet, at least. I'm sure I'm not alone in having looked upon their demise as a start, rather than job done. 

The anger I feel is not against rangers or celtic (or their fans) - bigots gonna bigot, and we'd have been foolish to expect anything else - but against the Game's governing bodies for their craven fear of the possibilities of a new dawn for our game, and the blatant lies from Armageddon and social unrest to "at last everyone can watch the one game that matters in our country". Absolute nonsense, and deliberate lying on a grand level, and a disgrace to the sport and their country. 

From the stupid folksongs and banners at parkhead to the continuous sectarian shite at almost every ground in Scotland (except ibrox, natch), we would do well to get rid of the fucking pair of them. 

And there was a chance. Just think on that. There actually was a chance.

Even more spot on.

Shull and WRK have got this.

The honest response points out that this two horse race holds literally no more appeal for me than the one horse variety.

Keeping the two apart brought Celtic closer to the pack. Putting them back together will move both away.

Would agree with that as well.

In the eyes of your average 'diddy' fan, it's not a 2 horse race, its an old firm - and in effect - still one horse race.

I don't think many fans would give a f**k which one of the OF win it and would probably lose interest in the title race as soon as the OF start pulling away.

The media etc have also ripped the arse out of it so much, that non-of fans are completely apathetic towards it now.

Archived