What fans feel can be done to improve the experience of match day

^^^ Exactly this.

The first issue to be addressed should be admission prices. Week in week out, Scottish football stadiums are soulless caverns of empty seats. Our home international's are like that at Hampden now too most of the time.

Except any time teams have experimented with reduced admission prices the attendances haven't increased much. There's an argument to a lack of promotion for such games, but that's further expenses for a club taking a massive risk on doing these offers.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're going down the play-off route, then why not have the top 6 have a final playoff battle?  Everything happens as normal, the split happens, then the teams play another five games.  Top 2 get a bye to the "semis", 3rd vs 6th, 4th vs 5th in one-off games.  Then the winners play the top two, one off games, then a grand final.  You'd avoid having 8 of the 12 teams in a ridiculous play-off, and the sides with the best record get favoured slightly.  Also means that instead of sides like Motherwell, Thistle, Dundee etc aiming for a top 6 where they may well get pumped for five games, they're aiming to take part in a finals tournament where they stand a chance - albeit slim - of the title.  Celtic should still wipe the floor with everyone, and probably would, so don't see it different from a competition perspective.  It would certainly make things more interesting.

But of course, any kind of playoff system like that will never happen.  But someone nailed it earlier in the thread when they said that attendances will only increase in any meaningful way because of derbies and increased chance of winning.  Playoffs give more teams a chance, and so would achieve that.  There's no way they'd go that drastic though.

If you were gonna do play offs I like the method the British Baseball League have used and the SPFL brought in last year for promotion from the Championship.

4th plays 3rd and winners play 2nd and winners play 1st.

So, aye, the team 30 points behind who are nowhere as good CAN win it but they don't have the same chance as the team that's actually won the league.

But who would be yer Champions League entrant? 1st or play off winner?

Better coffee would be a start.

How about more fans outside Celtic and the Rangers go see their particular team thereby increasing revenue and allowing their team to get better managers, players and facilities.

Love it.

Pretend Rangers and Celtic fans actually want the others to do well and be strong

If Celtic and Rangers wanted competition they'd stop raiding Scottish teams when they get strong.

Look at the Celtic crowds these days when you're guaranteed to win the league.

What would you get if you were behind Aberdeen and Hearts?

Love it.

Pretend Rangers and Celtic fans actually want the others to do well and be strong

If Celtic and Rangers wanted competition they'd stop raiding Scottish teams when they get strong.

Look at the Celtic crowds these days when you're guaranteed to win the league.

What would you get if you were behind Aberdeen and Hearts?

All the other clubs have to do is not sell to us and use this talent that is helping us with the league to help them win the league. So keep all your talent & get more of your own fans to go.

I feel we are getting somewhere here.

All the other clubs have to do is not sell to us and use this talent that is helping us with the league to help them win the league. So keep all your talent & get more of your own fans to go.

Sure that works.

Player X is on £2k a week at an Aberdeen type club and along come Celtic.

Triple my wages and play champions league football you say?

No....I want to stay here seen as we are building something.

Happens all the time

All the other clubs have to do is not sell to us

Someone grab the Hibs fans and tell them this when the bids come in for their jewels.

I also can't help but notice my point was Celtic and Rangers fans don't want anyone else to be strong.

You guys thrive on being no1. Not much point in some jakeball loser singing songs at 3AM about Scotlands mid table clubs are their now?

Sure that works.

Player X is on £2k a week at an Aberdeen type club and along come Celtic.

Triple my wages and play champions league football you say?

No....I want to stay here seen as we are building something.

Happens all the time

Someone grab the Hibs fans and tell them this when the bids come in for their jewels.

I also can't help but notice my point was Celtic and Rangers fans don't want anyone else to be strong.

You guys thrive on being no1. Not much point in some jakeball loser singing songs at 3AM about Scotlands mid table clubs are their now?

Oh well then.

Hahaha, that's a brilliant idea!

In fact, why not extend it!  Celtic can stop selling their players to the EPL.  Also, their fans can actually turn up so the stadium is more than half full each week - the money will be rolling in.  Pretty soon they'll be competing with the top teams in Europe.  The Champions League could beckon within a couple of years.  All you need to compete with teams who have budgets 10 times greater than you is to stop selling players to them and get lots of extra fans to randomly turn up to utterly pointless matches on the basis that their team will be great at an unspecified future point.  Never mind that the game they'll be spending £25 to watch at that point is turgid, they'll be queueing up at such an offer of future domination.  

I can't believe no one has thought of it before.

Hahaha, that's a brilliant idea!

In fact, why not extend it! Celtic can stop selling their players to the EPL. Also, their fans can actually turn up so the stadium is more than half full each week - the money will be rolling in. Pretty soon they'll be competing with the top teams in Europe. The Champions League could beckon within a couple of years. All you need to compete with teams who have budgets 10 times greater than you is to stop selling players to them and get lots of extra fans to randomly turn up to utterly pointless matches on the basis that their team will be great at an unspecified future point. Never mind that the game they'll be spending £25 to watch at that point is turgid, they'll be queueing up at such an offer of future domination.

I can't believe no one has thought of it before.

Don't be so angry.

Archived