The 3rd Chapter. (Accies 2016/2017 Thread)

21 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

This.

The defence is a riot, we need to hope that Greek boy is a superstar and we'd still need a CB and a RB on top of that, McGregor isn't good enough and gills isn't a RB. Kurakins is still the worst LB in the league, maybe the world.

We still need a striker as Longridge upfront is embarrassing when D'Acol isn't playing. Infact Longridge even getting a game is embarrassing.

A sweeping statement re McGregor given that he has only played twice! 

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

This.

The defence is a riot, we need to hope that Greek boy is a superstar and we'd still need a CB and a RB on top of that, McGregor isn't good enough and gills isn't a RB. Kurakins is still the worst LB in the league, maybe the world.

We still need a striker as Longridge upfront is embarrassing when D'Acol isn't playing. Infact Longridge even getting a game is embarrassing.

This is why Colin McGowan is banning you. 

Nae need for it, support the team, in Canning we trust :thumsup2

Thought we looked poor today but we still ground out the result that was required of us. 

Two goals in two games for D'Acol and what a goal it was maybe he can be the striker we need. 

Gillespie really isn't a right back and we desperately need to sign someone that can play the position, if we can do that then we might just have enough about us to do OK this season.

5 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

Thought we looked poor today but we still ground out the result that was required of us. 

Two goals in two games for D'Acol and what a goal it was maybe he can be the striker we need. 

Gillespie really isn't a right back and we desperately need to sign someone that can play the position, if we can do that then we might just have enough about us to do OK this season.

Still not where I would like us to be but we still ground out the result so easier to go again while we're still winning agree about right back position feel a bit for gills if I'm honest really isn't helping him as a player the more he plays there would've liked us to try someone else during these games if we aren't bringing one in would rather have seen 20s full back have a go during this cup to see where he is at 

45 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Still not where I would like us to be but we still ground out the result so easier to go again while we're still winning agree about right back position feel a bit for gills if I'm honest really isn't helping him as a player the more he plays there would've liked us to try someone else during these games if we aren't bringing one in would rather have seen 20s full back have a go during this cup to see where he is at 

A blind man would see he's not comfortable playing there. Sevco will have a field day exposing our flanks next week if we stick with Gillespie and Kurakins as full backs.:(

Has to be said, regardless of position Gillespie is shite. His passing is woeful. Consistently gives the ball away. He should have developed enough by now to cut that out his game. Not good enough!

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Careful, you'll have the Gillespie fan boys after you ;)

He's mildly effective on his day in midfield, but those days are few and far between. One of the most over rated players I can remember at Accies.

In saying that though, 3 managers have all had him in their starting line ups, so what do I know?

Ok, i must be a Gillespie fan boy but i have to disagree about his effectiveness from midfield. He is fantastic in that position, and although maybe understated, has been responsible for many a result in the past couple of seasons by winning that midfield battle and allowing Crawford, Imrie, etc, the chance to play.

But, i totally agree, he's always been wasted at right back. We need two full backs desperately. And maybe another centre half and forward.

Any word about getting big Carlton back on loan again?? He was coming on to some game before he left.

Gillespies problem is he doesn't lift his head to see a pass. Never been a fan of his, seems like a nice boy but gives the ball away far too much at this level.

hes less of a liability in midfield than at right back. Can't believe he's almost at 200 appearances.

surely we've got a decent right back in the under 20s

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Fantastic? Really?

I just don't see what it is that others see about him, including his managers. I've never seen a player give away the ball as much as he does. Game of opinions and all that...

No, you're yet to send me a PM on the subject, so not a Gillespie fan boy yet ;)

Ok, maybe not fantastic. Is undervalued a better adjective??? Despite his critics, he has helped us win a lot of games from defensive midfield. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but as you admit yourself, every Accies manager from Reid through to Canning has valued him.....they all can't be wrong.

I haven't PM'd you mate. Don't spend a lot of time on here due to the constant negativity. (Not necessarily yourself, but the majority). I remember the old second and third division days not that long ago. When we made it to the first division (or Championship as it is now) under Maitland, our sole focus was survival. We have the smallest fan base in the top flight and i'm assuming the smallest budget too. We are performing something of a small miracle in starting our 3rd year here but the abuse both managers/players take on here is incredible.

Next week we are playing Sevco in front of a sell out 50,000  or whatever on Sky Sports in the top league in our country, There are many bigger clubs in the Championship who would bite your hands off to do that. We have earned that opportunity. Let's enjoy it.

Btw, no doubt I'll be called a happy clapper but i would just like a little bit of positivity.  

Did accies1874 PM you about Gills Bateman? I knew he was the grass.

IMG_1469918869.594607.thumb.jpg.e8d8b6c2
I'm in the den just now. The fire alarm went off. Rumour has it: McGowan was smoking crack in the toilets. Also, Bateman loves me. Don't you, honey?

1 hour ago, NewDouglasPark said:

Ok, maybe not fantastic. Is undervalued a better adjective??? Despite his critics, he has helped us win a lot of games from defensive midfield. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but as you admit yourself, every Accies manager from Reid through to Canning has valued him.....they all can't be wrong.

I haven't PM'd you mate. Don't spend a lot of time on here due to the constant negativity. (Not necessarily yourself, but the majority). I remember the old second and third division days not that long ago. When we made it to the first division (or Championship as it is now) under Maitland, our sole focus was survival. We have the smallest fan base in the top flight and i'm assuming the smallest budget too. We are performing something of a small miracle in starting our 3rd year here but the abuse both managers/players take on here is incredible.

Next week we are playing Sevco in front of a sell out 50,000  or whatever on Sky Sports in the top league in our country, There are many bigger clubs in the Championship who would bite your hands off to do that. We have earned that opportunity. Let's enjoy it.

Btw, no doubt I'll be called a happy clapper but i would just like a little bit of positivity.  

No offence, but f**k all this "punching above our weight" pish. We're where we are because we deserve it. I was there when we're were rock bottom and were nearly bust so appreciate how far we've came but we have to realise, we can achieve so much more, teams like Inverness and Ross County have thrived in the last 10 years and although they may not be established Premier teams with a huge fan base, neither of them back down or have a small club mentality and both those teams have won domestic cups whilst we treat cup competition as an inconvenience. 

So yes, we are a small club but we will never grow with the negative attitude some fans and the people in charge of the club have.

5 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

No offence, but f**k all this "punching above our weight" pish. We're where we are because we deserve it. I was there when we're were rock bottom and were nearly bust so appreciate how far we've came but we have to realise, we can achieve so much more, teams like Inverness and Ross County have thrived in the last 10 years and although they may not be established Premier teams with a huge fan base, neither of them back down or have a small club mentality and both those teams have won domestic cups whilst we treat cup competition as an inconvenience. 

So yes, we are a small club but we will never grow with the negative attitude some fans and the people in charge of the club have.

I agree that we should always be looking to grow as a club, don't have a problem with that. But a sense of perspective is necessary too. You talk about negative attitude from fans. I agree with that too, that is precisely my point. Admittedly, I'm not on here very often but when perusing other posts I find our fans the most critical of them all. Not really sure what we are expecting. If you think of the quality of player which we continue to lose to bigger clubs (McCarthy, MacArthur, Neil, Andreu, McGovern, etc) and the constant struggle to replace them i don't think we're doing too badly.

I may be wrong, but did crowds not increase during the Alex Neil era? That was in a time where we had no fear and didn't give in to teams. That's the attitude that got us into the Premier league and also had us get our first win at Parkhead in decades. We played to win and there was an excitement around the team. I know that we couldn't control the situation of Neil leaving but we still should have built on what he did but instead we went for an inept manager who seems to think failure is alright as long as you can trot out the party line of "punching above our weight".

Edited by Bert Raccoon

Been over the crowds under Alex Neil before. They were nothing great. Look at the first two crowds in the Premier after Easter Road - 1,600 odd against Inverness and 1,577 I think against St Johnstone. That's from memory and yes, I am sad.

I also think Gills is a good holding midfielder. He does the unattractive but important stuff well. Light years ahead of Daz imo. He's not a right back, never has been.

Who's the u20s right back?

The way Accies operate is that there will be periods where we struggle as we lose our stars and bring in the next crop of youngsters.

We've lost Hendrie, Ziggy and Mcgloves in recent years but we've seen Docherty and Brophy really mature as players. Hopefully Mcmann will prove ready when he's recovered from injury. He looked good in his start.

I really think the doom and gloom from some posters is premature given the season hasn't started and I'm really not convinced our rivals have strengthened, in fact I think some have weakened considerably.

I'll reserve judgement, and keep my tinfoil hat in the cupboard till we've played the first round of fixtures!!

I still wouldn't judge until transfer window closes on 31st August. In that time Harkins will have to decide if he wants to sign for us if rumours are true. Morris will have to decide where he wants to play this season and Accies will probably have their sights on a number of other players. We have never taken a point off Rangers in a Premier League game so no expectation of any this time either. We therefore might need to play 3 games before we get to a proper squad. Things are developing nicely with a strong midfield and D'Acol Longridge Imrie and Crawford all scoring twice already. We also have potential goal threat from Kurtaj , Donati and Docherty. Now about the defence - help !

1 hour ago, bomberharris said:

I also think Gills is a good holding midfielder. He does the unattractive but important stuff well. Light years ahead of Daz imo. He's not a right back, never has been.

Who's the u20s right back?

The way Accies operate is that there will be periods where we struggle as we lose our stars and bring in the next crop of youngsters.

We've lost Hendrie, Ziggy and Mcgloves in recent years but we've seen Docherty and Brophy really mature as players. Hopefully Mcmann will prove ready when he's recovered from injury. He looked good in his start.

I really think the doom and gloom from some posters is premature given the season hasn't started and I'm really not convinced our rivals have strengthened, in fact I think some have weakened considerably.

I'll reserve judgement, and keep my tinfoil hat in the cupboard till we've played the first round of fixtures!!

U20 right back is Reilly played every minute of u20 last season and signed new contract as well so must be in plans long term he is a little raw but very fast and direct with a good engine I also feel gills is decent enough in midfield but with donati etc there now not sure where he fits in there I feel if we could get a couple in we could be ok this year however we will need to up our performances a bit but these cup games always had a feel of pre season about them

Edited by Hooper