CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Wasn't there today so I'm not sure if he was indeed the man at fault for the two late goals, but it sounds as though Barry is singling out Junior for a lot of criticism in his post-match interview. I certainly don't think he's been as good this season as he was the last, when he was easily a 7 or 8 out of 10 performer in virtually every game. Once again, centre back looks like a bit of a problem area for us with McNeil far better utilised elsewhere and McNiff looking shaky whenever he's been deployed there. A lack of threat down the left side with a conservative and technically-lacking McNiff is also an issue. Keeping Perry is imperative, but unless he's already signed an extension I can't foresee him wanting to stay at a League 2 team fighting for, at most, a play-off berth. I truly hope we can unearth some gems in January and claw it back, but we'd have to perform a clean sweep against Forfar and Arbroath and then rely on numerous favours outside of that, including us not routinely bottling it in games. Once again, optimism (and boy, was there a lot of it heading into August) has given way more mid-season gloom.  

There obviously exist the whole bad luck/individual error factors, but even accounting for our current injury list, with the squad at Ferguson's disposal we should be doing better than we are just now - which is no better than Duffy managed after a similar "turnaround" period of 2 full seasons, with a team largely consisting of limited, but effective and well-drilled guff. Of the squad which bottled it at Bayview in 2014, I'd only really have Ferguson, MacDonald and McCluskey as starters if placed in our current pool. Ultimately, Barry has to carry the can for our current woes; he made a conscious decision to run with a tight squad and bin certain players and that has pretty much led us into a situation where we seemingly have guaranteed starters, while at the beginning of the season we appeared to have okay competition for places/cover for injuries. He should get until the end of the season and anything other than promotion should then result in a change.

It's gradually getting more and more depressing as it slowly becomes apparent that in League 2, we may have found our level. A dwindling fan base (due to the prior point or for more political reasons) as the seasons go by, little or no investment from the owners or an external source, no stand-out revenue sources other than entrance takings and prize money, and no clear plan for the future (life after or at Broadwood). These don't exactly point to success at this level, never mind above it. This is now our seventh season in this division and we've just about managed to manufacture a semblance of a title challenge in only one of them, in what was a more competitive group of teams. With all things considered, that isn't anywhere near good enough. It's clear that the hopes of once again being caught in a League 1/Championship yo-yo can be swapped for presence in a League 2/League 1 yo-yo at best, unless something drastic happens. 

Merry Christmas!

ETA: ^^^ seething

Edited by the_bully_wee

Wasn't there today so I'm not sure if he was indeed the man at fault for the two late goals, but it sounds as though Barry is singling out Junior for a lot of criticism in his post-match interview. I certainly don't think he's been as good this season as he was the last, when he was easily a 7 or 8 out of 10 performer in virtually every game. Once again, centre back looks like a bit of a problem area for us with McNeil far better utilised elsewhere and McNiff looking shaky whenever he's been deployed there. A lack of threat down the left side with a conservative and technically-lacking McNiff is also an issue. Keeping Perry is imperative, but unless he's already signed an extension I can't foresee him wanting to stay at a League 2 team fighting for, at most, a play-off berth. I truly hope we can unearth some gems in January and claw it back, but we'd have to perform a clean sweep against Forfar and Arbroath and then rely on numerous favours outside of that, including us not routinely bottling it in games. Once again, optimism (and boy, was there a lot of it heading into August) has given way more mid-season gloom.  
There obviously exist the whole bad luck/individual error factors, but even accounting for our current injury list, with the squad at Ferguson's disposal we should be doing better than we are just now - which is no better than Duffy managed after a similar "turnaround" period of 2 full seasons, with a team largely consisting of limited, but effective and well-drilled guff. Of the squad which bottled it at Bayview in 2014, I'd only really have Ferguson, MacDonald and McCluskey as starters if placed in our current pool. Ultimately, Barry has to carry the can for our current woes; he made a conscious decision to run with a tight squad and bin certain players and that has pretty much led us into a situation where we seemingly have guaranteed starters, while at the beginning of the season we appeared to have okay competition for places/cover for injuries. He should get until the end of the season and anything other than promotion should then result in a change.
It's gradually getting more and more depressing as it slowly becomes apparent that in League 2, we may have found our level. A dwindling fan base (due to the prior point or for more political reasons) as the seasons go by, little or no investment from the owners or an external source, no stand-out revenue sources other than entrance takings and prize money, and no clear plan for the future (life after or at Broadwood). These don't exactly point to success at this level, never mind above it. This is now our seventh season in this division and we've just about managed to manufacture a semblance of a title challenge in only one of them, in what was a more competitive group of teams. With all things considered, that isn't anywhere near good enough. It's clear that the hopes of once again being caught in a League 1/Championship yo-yo can be swapped for presence in a League 2/League 1 yo-yo at best, unless something drastic happens. 
Merry Christmas!

Stop talking sense it will never catch on

Ps think your next for nomination for chairman :)

Merry Christmas!

If I remember correctly, a fair few Clyde fans wanted rid of Duffy.

We can see what he's done for Morton. He was a very good manager and would do much better with our squad than Ferguson has.

Duffy is certainly very good at organising a team, making said team hard for any opposition team (other than Queen's Park and peak-of-their-hilarity Sevco) to play against and getting the best out of otherwise unfancied players. With hindsight, however, for an experienced coach and manager with prior experience of the Scottish lower leagues, I think it was pretty poor that after three and a quarter seasons we only qualified for the play-offs at the end of his reign; the "baby-steps" approach he was championing was a bit defeatist in such a poor and, on a game-by-game basis, competitive division. That's even accounting for the budget decrease caused by debt repayments. He completely failed to attract any players of real calibre (Longworth, Malcolm pursuits both spring to mind) too; our best contracted players throughout his tenure (Ferguson, MacDonald, Gallagher, McCluskey, Marsh, McQueen, and perhaps Brown) all came from nowhere and with little or no pedigree, Gallagher and McCluskey perhaps the exceptions based on form with Stranraer and Shotts, respectively. He coached all of the above well into his system and improved them all, but he didn't really bring anyone to the club who, on arrival, could rightly have been plying their trade in leagues above. 

Contrasting that with Ferguson, he hasn't shown himself to be a great coach (developer is perhaps more appropriate) of players. Marsh did an adequate job for us in midfield with some retraining, and I was a fan of big McQueen up front, but other than that no players have really signed with us and kicked on since he came to the club. Scott Ferguson was showing signs of that last season before his injury, I think, but obviously that ended with a now-customary cruciate injury soon after. What he has done, however, is attract a calibre of player which Duffy never could. Look at this season's squad; I honestly don't know if Duffy would've been able to attract any of our better players (Linton, McNeil, Lowdon, Easton, Flynn, Perry). Hell, even McNiff who's been average at best had pretty high stock after his time at Annan. Duffy signed chumps like Kieran McGachie from a worse Annan team than last season's. What is beyond doubt is that Duffy would be doing better with this team, but it counts for nothing given there's no chance he could've attracted any of the better ones from the current crop. 

I think Ferguson has been very unlucky in his last two seasons - two big injuries in the run-in to leading players last year, and one massive injury to the man our team and style was clearly moulded around this year. I think he's shown that he's far more dynamic than Duffy, and he certainly does far more in terms of attracting players and off-the-field stuff, but he simply isn't half as good at getting the absolute best out of players. After a baptism of fire he realised the pitfalls of part time football and acted on several fronts: success in this division normally results from having a strong team, and one which can impose its style on another team rather than being overly reactive to the opposition. Last season he went for the big, strong, battering-ram approach, and this season he went for possession and penetration with passes, clever interplay and overlaps from the full-backs. In the last campaign I think we just lacked that wee bit of quality in certain areas at times, otherwise we could well have won the title. This season, the loss of two massive players for his Plan A has led to us changing to a style which doesn't seem to be as consistently effective. 

For all his bad luck, football is a results business, and Barry himself will admit that with the players he's had at his disposal, he should be getting promotion one way or another across these two seasons. He still has my backing, but he'll need some good additions in January and a strong second half of the season for that to be the case come May. 

Duffy is certainly very good at organising a team, making said team hard for any opposition team (other than Queen's Park and peak-of-their-hilarity Sevco) to play against and getting the best out of otherwise unfancied players. With hindsight, however, for an experienced coach and manager with prior experience of the Scottish lower leagues, I think it was pretty poor that after three and a quarter seasons we only qualified for the play-offs at the end of his reign; the "baby-steps" approach he was championing was a bit defeatist in such a poor and, on a game-by-game basis, competitive division. That's even accounting for the budget decrease caused by debt repayments. He completely failed to attract any players of real calibre (Longworth, Malcolm pursuits both spring to mind) too; our best contracted players throughout his tenure (Ferguson, MacDonald, Gallagher, McCluskey, Marsh, McQueen, and perhaps Brown) all came from nowhere and with little or no pedigree, Gallagher and McCluskey perhaps the exceptions based on form with Stranraer and Shotts, respectively. He coached all of the above well into his system and improved them all, but he didn't really bring anyone to the club who, on arrival, could rightly have been plying their trade in leagues above. 

Contrasting that with Ferguson, he hasn't shown himself to be a great coach (developer is perhaps more appropriate) of players. Marsh did an adequate job for us in midfield with some retraining, and I was a fan of big McQueen up front, but other than that no players have really signed with us and kicked on since he came to the club. Scott Ferguson was showing signs of that last season before his injury, I think, but obviously that ended with a now-customary cruciate injury soon after. What he has done, however, is attract a calibre of player which Duffy never could. Look at this season's squad; I honestly don't know if Duffy would've been able to attract any of our better players (Linton, McNeil, Lowdon, Easton, Flynn, Perry). Hell, even McNiff who's been average at best had pretty high stock after his time at Annan. Duffy signed chumps like Kieran McGachie from a worse Annan team than last season's. What is beyond doubt is that Duffy would be doing better with this team, but it counts for nothing given there's no chance he could've attracted any of the better ones from the current crop. 

I think Ferguson has been very unlucky in his last two seasons - two big injuries in the run-in to leading players last year, and one massive injury to the man our team and style was clearly moulded around this year. I think he's shown that he's far more dynamic than Duffy, and he certainly does far more in terms of attracting players and off-the-field stuff, but he simply isn't half as good at getting the absolute best out of players. After a baptism of fire he realised the pitfalls of part time football and acted on several fronts: success in this division normally results from having a strong team, and one which can impose its style on another team rather than being overly reactive to the opposition. Last season he went for the big, strong, battering-ram approach, and this season he went for possession and penetration with passes, clever interplay and overlaps from the full-backs. In the last campaign I think we just lacked that wee bit of quality in certain areas at times, otherwise we could well have won the title. This season, the loss of two massive players for his Plan A has led to us changing to a style which doesn't seem to be as consistently effective. 

For all his bad luck, football is a results business, and Barry himself will admit that with the players he's had at his disposal, he should be getting promotion one way or another across these two seasons. He still has my backing, but he'll need some good additions in January and a strong second half of the season for that to be the case come May. 

Good summing up.

I don't think we can underestimate the lack of monies available to Duffy though.

In relation to McGachie and other crap players, most managers make bad signings.

A few of his other signings did go on to play in higher leagues.

I always thought that the counter attacking system that we played under Duffy suited McQueen, Marsh, and McColm.

If only we had a MacDonald to finish the crosses in those days.

Ferguson's tactics leave me confused on a regular basis. I still don't know what his preference is tactically after losing Easton and Lowden. Seems to me to be punt it up and hope for the best.

It took Ferguson about 9 months to be fit enough for a spot on the bench, so barring a miracle I don't think there's any chance of either Lowdon or Easton being near the starting XI by the time the play-offs roll around. Lowdon should hopefully be fully fit for the start of next season, likewise Easton if he decides to stay.

It took Ferguson about 9 months to be fit enough for a spot on the bench, so barring a miracle I don't think there's any chance of either Lowdon or Easton being near the starting XI by the time the play-offs roll around. Lowdon should hopefully be fully fit for the start of next season, likewise Easton if he decides to stay.

Cheers

52 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Although I would rather have both stands open, this has worked at Forthbank without any issues, don't see why it would be one at Broadwood.

It won't. There isn't really any excuse to have segregation at this level.