St Helena Airport

St Helena Airport was supposed to open this week, including a royal visit by Prince Edward

However that has been delayed indefinitely because of windshear issues.

Assuming you could afford to go - to the remotest inhabited island in the world - would you be tempted to go? 

(This is where Napoleon was sent after Waterloo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQiQtdq1C3g

(BTW: Tristan de Cunha also claims to the remotest inhabited island but at least it as other islands nearby)

St Helena Airport was supposed to open this week, including a royal visit by Prince Edward

However that has been delayed indefinitely because of windshear issues.

Assuming you could afford to go - to the remotest inhabited island in the world - would you be tempted to go? 

(This is where Napoleon was sent after Waterloo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQiQtdq1C3g

(BTW: Tristan de Cunha also claims to the remotest inhabited island but at least it as other islands nearby)

My old next door neighbour was from there. Her and her husband went back visiting a few years ago and he would stay given the opportunity.

I guess they would have managed to land the plane easer if they had removed the flags from the windaes!!

Edited by strichener

Must be some amount of incest on that island! Population of 4,000 and been essentially cut off from the outside world?? Definitely a Fife-esque Island...

Not as bad as Tristan da Cunha which is similarly isolated - population 267 - and only 7 surnames

(.. of which 4 suffered from Asthma)

Pitcairn Island is not quite so isolated but has a population of only 56

(..and is part of Kent Constabulary for some bizarre reason)

Not as bad as Tristan da Cunha which is similarly isolated - population 267 - and only 7 surnames

(.. of which 4 suffered from Asthma)

Pitcairn Island is not quite so isolated but has a population of only 56

(..and is part of Kent Constabulary for some bizarre reason)

Pitcairn is pretty infamous for inbreeding/rape. There was a case that came to court about ten years ago that saw half the male inhabitants go on trial for rape. Fairly certain some were convicted and served prison sentences in the jail they helped build to house them.

I also recall reading that they were released at some points during the fishing season in order to assist with the long boats, otherwise the population would basically die out. Absolutely bizarre.

I was in St Helena earlier this year, bizarre place. Some really nice scenery, but thats about it. Andy Rodgers would have some fun there.

Two ships a month though bringing supplies and stuff, yet the pub in Jamestown has every Premier League game on live. 

Pitcairn is pretty infamous for inbreeding/rape. There was a case that came to court about ten years ago that saw half the male inhabitants go on trial for rape. Fairly certain some were convicted and served prison sentences in the jail they helped build to house them.

I also recall reading that they were released at some points during the fishing season in order to assist with the long boats, otherwise the population would basically die out. Absolutely bizarre.

From Wikipedia:

As of March 2009 only one prisoner, Brian Young, was still being held in the island's jail, all the others having been granted home detention status.[25] It was reported on 23 April 2009 that Brian Young had been released on house arrest having served just over two years of his original sentence of six and a half years. It is purported that the now empty jail will be turned into a guest house.[26]

St Helena (the ship used to supply the island) was the last built in Aberdeen,and is soon to be retired/scrapped.

Just thought I would mention it as I watched the launch.

It would of been last ships built by Hall, Russell & Company

• 3 years later...