Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

2-0 Thistle FT

Any idea of our line up?

Seen this photo...

F0hKhoEX0AA1bbo.thumb.jpeg.bd597c7723485edb656e47b4981b6588.jpeg

... and most look like the youngsters. Unsure when this was taken though.

6 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I know friendlies are exactly that. A friendly. 

Still concerned this throwing in these young lads is going to be a bit of a disaster. Winning games friendlies or otherwise breeds confidence...

Away to Stenhousemuir next week, who have some regular goalscorers and a former Saints youth on the wing, when we have a squad full of unproven youth players, senior players who've barely had any match practice in months, and a rookie manager.

What could go wrong?

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Away to Stenhousemuir next week, who have some regular goalscorers and a former Saints youth on the wing, when we have a squad full of unproven youth players, senior players who've barely had any match practice in months, and a rookie manager.

What could go wrong?

They could well prove me wrong but consistently poor results in pre season is unlikely to result in turning up and beating well organised part time sides like Stenny who'll without doubt target them, never mind Premiership sides. 

Signings will come I'm sure but they'll also be thrown in quickly whether they're ready or not as well!

We'll soon find out next week. 

4 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Signings will come I'm sure but they'll also be thrown in quickly whether they're ready or not as well!

We'll soon find out next week. 

They need to get a keeper signed this week, thats got to be priority. 

Sinclairs had a few issues with his wrists and you know our luck means he'll strain them in training on Thursday or Friday.

What is a full strength St Johnstone team right now? Appreciate we've got a good few injuries (another issue in itself; that reared it's head under Davidson and seems to be continuing under Maclean) but genuinely not sure with so many young players in the pool and with question marks over  whether some of the older ones can still cut it. 

Will be interesting what's said at the open meeting on Monday as we seem to be a complete shambles at the moment and heading straight for a disaster. I'm not saying just because we've lost a bounce game against Partick thistle, but when you've lost 17 players and signed no one and players like Ali Crawford are back in the fold after being deemed not good enough last season, seven days out from our first competitive game, there's not really any other conclusion you can draw. 

Edited by Kyle

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

What is a full strength St Johnstone team right now?

Assuming Kane is injured (it worries me someone posted on WAP he'd injured himself at a kick about with mates days before it came out he was injured, tbh)  and Considine is too (has there been any mention of him at all?) then id think...

Sinclair

Brown - McGowan - Gordon - Gallacher

Wright - MacPherson - Phillips - Ballantyne - Carey

May

Is probably as strong as we could go?

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Assuming Kane is injured (it worries me someone posted on WAP he'd injured himself at a kick about with mates days before it came out he was injured, tbh)  and Considine is too (has there been any mention of him at all?) then id think...

Sinclair

Brown - McGowan - Gordon - Gallacher

Wright - MacPherson - Phillips - Ballantyne - Carey

May

Is probably as strong as we could go?

I'd probably agree. Is that strong enough to get through the league cup (assuming Brown, Macpherson and Phillips even make it next Saturday as they've all be picking up knocks and will have missed a decent amount of training) never mind stay up in the league? We've still got 4 or 5 to come in, or so the manager keeps saying, but it feels like to me we're already in puntsville or hoping players that no one else wants can do a job

Kane did/does still play with his mates, not sure if that's where he was injured or not but it's not the most sensible thing to be doing when you've been out for so long. A lot of players do though, from our level to the very top, just look at what Zidane was saying about Davids the other week. I remember years ago confronting Gary Farquhar about his injury and the look on his face when I explained how I'd seen him chat up a burd in a Wick pub, her boyfriend then chasing him out the pub and the daft Gary shiteing himself and running straight out into traffic causing said injury. Stupid c**t was begging me to not grass him in, which I'd never do of course.

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'd probably agree. Is that strong enough to get through the league cup (assuming Brown, Macpherson and Phillips even make it next Saturday as they've all be picking up knocks and will have missed a decent amount of training) never mind stay up in the league? 

That line up should get us 9pts, but unsure if we beat Ayr.

League wise it looks an obvious one to battling to avoid relegation.

Anyone drops out anywhere other than CM and it drops to struggling to get out the group and staring at bottom. 

Already accepted, at this stage, we're not bringing real quality in. So its a long hard season headed our way unless the youngsters all step up. 

Seen folk play down the players playing today based on that single photo. 

That's Gallagher, Gordon, Parker and Ferguson is it not?

That's the back 4 who started against Dunfermline and depending on Considine and Browns fitness the back four who will start on Saturday. 

These aren't "quite a few youngsters". That is our current first team squad. 

12 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Absolute shitshow. 

Aye.

Thinks might sink in a bit when competitive football starts again next week and a team half full of players who've never played above League One appear in last seasons kit.

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Seen folk play down the players playing today based on that single photo. 

That's Gallagher, Gordon, Parker and Ferguson is it not?

That's the back 4 who started against Dunfermline and depending on Considine and Browns fitness the back four who will start on Saturday. 

These aren't "quite a few youngsters". That is our current first team squad. 

It’s not Gordon or Ferguson 

In terms of knicker-wetting, I'm moderately damp at the moment but the closer we get to real games the more the huggies pull-ups come into play.

I guess what's bothering me most is that I'm not really understanding the reasons for the lack of market activity. As a club that's up for sale there will be big pressure on cutting operational costs to make the books as attractive as possible. But, we've shed an awful lot of playing wage bill - so you have to think that would have freed a good amount of headroom. It may well be that we were carrying so much wage cost it was putting us into operating loss, but that would be veyr unusual for us.

If it's more the case that McLean is being extremely picky then that's fine and much needed after CD's scattergun approach but surely we're at the stage now where something has to happen. The big worry is that we're just not an attractive place for talent any more, which could easily be the start of a proper tailspin.

If we get to the end of the league cup groups without at lest 4 signings I'll be at the 'need to wring them out' stage. But then again, that's normal for this time of year with this club. Actually there's barely been a dry day for the last couple of years.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese