Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

19 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Talk of releasing Millar is wild, he's still our best player.

I agree that it shouldn’t be a consideration but he’s always the first player hooked if things are going wrong and it appears he’s had some beef with the manager in the not too distant past. When the manager talks about big changes, he immediately springs to my mind as someone Wright will push out. 

20 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Who would you say is the best player we have? Millar makes us tick, absolutely no coincidence our form has picked up since he's been back in the fold. I appreciate it would free up wages, but letting him go with McGowan as a direct replacement would be absolute madness.

I'd say Murray Davidson is more important, and I'm not a huge fan of his. I think his recent upturn in form is as important as Millars reintroduction. 

I wouldn't be replacing him in the squad with McGowan, I actually think Muzz, McGowan, Millar and another more physical, defensive, option (Abdul Osman on form) would be a perfect mix to compete for two CM roles. 

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Millar leaving would leave us with the exact same issues we had earlier in the season imo.

Which in turn could be the big restructuring that Tommy has eluded to. Although Millar is our best ball playing midfielder he realistically only has one more season if he's lucky at this level. Will Tommy take a chance with him when it could all turn pear shaped in the first few months of the new season? I'm not so sure, especially when he looks at Wright and Mackays decline. Big Tommy has decisions to make, hope he doesnt make an arse of it.

31 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Millar leaving would leave us with the exact same issues we had earlier in the season imo.

He's going to leave eventually. He's obviously class but he's not an answer to any of next seasons questions, he was run over by Hibs midfield on Friday and we all want to be competing with the likes of Hibs. 

As I say, I'd like him to stay, but him and MacLean need replacing this Summer, if we need to use their wages to do it then so be it. Ideally they'd stay around. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Mannus/Clark 

New RB/Comrie/Easton/Tanser 

Anderson/Shaughnessy/Kerr/Gordon

New RW/Wotherspoon/Williams/New LM

Millar/Davidson/McGowan/Craig/New CM/Scougall 

Kane/MacLean/McMillan/New ST

Would be a decent squad, and allow you to play 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 without huge problems. Should also allow an increase in quality without the disruption of a huge rebuild

Edited by RandomGuy.

26 minutes ago, Widge said:

All very well and good saying that, but the likes of Foster are still under contract as well.

He wouldn't be hard to move on. 

15 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Has he another year?

Even with that squad RG has quoted it leaves us with basically the same problems as this season. Severe lack of pace and goalscorers.

That's where the four new players come in, Tam. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

I know this Random. Williams is a non starter so who do you think we shall be going for/getting?

I'm not sure. Obvious one is Schalk from County. I've just no idea what sort of money we actually have to play with 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not sure. Obvious one is Schalk from County. I've just no idea what sort of money we actually have to play with 

Schalk is probably the one striker I'd take from the clubs below us. Whether we could afford or he'd want to come to us is another matter. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

Schalk is probably the one striker I'd take from the clubs below us. Whether we could afford or he'd want to come to us is another matter. 

I reckon we could definitely get him. Big five probably think he's below their level, and we stack up pretty nicely against the rest. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I reckon we could definitely get him. Big five probably think he's below their level, and we stack up pretty nicely against the rest. 

If County went down I'd like to think Tommy would be interested, if he's not enquired already. Quick with decent skill and twice the player Kane is in one on ones.

Random what would you think the fee would be  involved in younger Championship/League one  players be that are possibly out of contract yet would carry a development Fee to sign? 

Is it worth the gamble to sell on in a few years or do you think Alston is showing the gap is to great to take a chance on theses players?  

What kind of player do folk see McGowan as? I thought his style was Similar to Millar's... defensive midfielder who likes to keep possession, gets stuck in but not a massive attacking threat. Is that not the case?

Keep all our experienced players for another season (Millar, Anderson, Mannus, Maclean) but be prepared to use them more sparingly so we have a gradual transition. Essential we sign a couple of good quality players that can bring some competition.  

Agree with the Schalk shout. Also hope Tommy is standing watch over Partick Thistle's possible relegation death bed, as there are several players in their squad who might be worth signing.

Hope we get to see a good few games from Macmillan before the end of the season so he can use the (hopefully) dead rubber fixtures to find his feet with less pressure, and get off to a flyer next year.