Concacaf Champions League - Canadian Teams

Torpar

Last night Toronto FC won the 2016 Canadian Championship after winning a grand total of four games and hence qualified for the 2017-18 Champions League.

Since the Welsh teams in the English leagues can no longer qualify for Europe via the Welsh Cup, is there anywhere else in the footballing world where it this easy to make into the Champions League or equivalent?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all fairness, they don't have their own league and CONCACAF clearly want a Canadian representative. The Canadian Championship also includes two non-MLS teams meaning they can't just do it by what Canadian team finishes higher in the MLS. Also, it isn't that easy considering Toronto have fucked it up repeatedly the last 4 or so years despite being the best team for most of that. 

I get why they have to do it and it's nice that it gives NASL teams a chance to qualify, would have been nice to have an Ottawa-Toronto final. I also agree it's not easy for Toronto, they barely won it this year and now will likely get pumped by a Mexican side and lose away to someone in Haiti. I stand by my main point though, while most of the other teams have to be winners or be runners-up in a full league season, Canadian teams have to win a five team tournament.

So maybe not easy as such but there can't be many easier ways to get into the Champion's League

Although it's not the Champions League and it's the Europa League. The easiest has to be Liechtenstein team FC Vaduz who play in the Swiss League and qualify for the Europa League through the Liechtenstein Cup and enter in at the QF stage alongside their u23 side. They won the 2015-16 final 11-0 against FC Schaan.

Although it's not the Champions League and it's the Europa League. The easiest has to be Liechtenstein team FC Vaduz who play in the Swiss League and qualify for the Europa League through the Liechtenstein Cup and enter in at the QF stage alongside their u23 side. They won the 2015-16 final 11-0 against FC Schaan.

I stand corrected, Wikipedia tells me since 1998 they have pretty much won the cup every year, 2012 being a bad year for Vaduz and a great one for USV Eschen/Mauren

In doing so preserving's Berwick Rangers world record for successive victories.

I wonder if some of the Oceanian and Caribbean countries have limited leagues or cups which might provide similarly rapid access to continental competition.

Closer to home there are only 8 clubs in the Armenian leagues... they have 2 divisions of 8 but the second level is made up entirely of their reserve teams... and correspondingly their cup only entails QFs SFs & Final. Until UEFA got rid of the cup runners-up slots when someone did the double it was actually possible to qualify from Armenia by winning just 2 two-legged cup ties.

Oddly enough Ulisses folded during the 2015-16 season. However, the Armenians have started a new club called Erebuni to keep things up to strength.

The CONCAFAC Champions League is a non-event in North America outside of a final if one of our teams gets that far.

They should make it a smaller tournament with only North American champions. MLS Cup, US Open Cup, Canada Cup, Supporters Shield, and the 4 major trophy winners from Mexico each year. Home and home until the finals.

The CONCAFAC Champions League is a non-event in North America outside of a final if one of our teams gets that far.

They should make it a smaller tournament with only North American champions. MLS Cup, US Open Cup, Canada Cup, Supporters Shield, and the 4 major trophy winners from Mexico each year. Home and home until the finals.

Would be a bit shit, pretty much just playing the same teams you play in the league anyway, and there does seem to be an interest in Toronto for it.

Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh, along with the Italian Pro12 sides used to get automatic entry to the Heineken Cup until changes a year or two back.

Club rugby union is just awful in Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_SuperLiga

Archived