Football Literature

Guest bernardblack

This book is pretty good  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-League-History-10-Matches/dp/1781854300

Not just 10 matches but he shows how these games tie in to the Premier League history........for example the difference in Man Utd and Sheffield Wednesday fortunes since Steve Bruce scored a double in injury time to effectively win Man Utd the first Premiership title in 1993.

Seconded, paints a history of the English Premier league so well without the hyperbole of, "The greatest league in the world". I especially liked the Leeds and Portsmouth chapters where you see what was achieved and then how quickly they sunk when the bubble burst.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished reading Stramash which I thought was decent, better than most of the ground hopping books and had some interesting bits of history.

The reason I read it though was that I just finished reading the same author, Daniel Gray's, book, "Saturday, 3pm". I thought it was fantastic, it's essentially 50 short essays with the focus on each chapter being a particular aspect of football that brings joy.

I bought it after he appeared on Off the Ball and loved the thought of it. It's very short, maybe just an hour or so to read it but I really enjoyed it, he nailed so many things that make football enjoyable, well worth a read.

I also really enjoyed Richard Gordon's, "Glory in Gothenburg".

It tells the story of Aberdeen's Cup Winner's Cup run with each chapter focusing on one of the players and one of the games. It was great to get a background on many of these players and here what they've done since. It happened before I was born but I knew a lot about it and about certain players and of course Fergie but it was interesting to read about the lesser known players (for my generation, stars of their own day) and I think any fan would enjoy it.

Archived