A-League 2016/17

Eednud

What happened to Glory in the second half? Well done Mariners to get a draw after being 3-0 behind. Wellington Phoenix were missing 5 players to the NZ squad for friendlies against Mexico and USA.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/8/2016 at 23:54, XIII said:

Once Castro went off we fell apart. Castro was going through players for fun the first half

At least you have another home game this week. Will be interesting to see how many of teh Phoenix NZ international players start the match. Repeat of last year's Grand Final for us on Friday but slightly smaller crowd this time as at Hindmarsh. Weather supposed to be fine so maybe 15,000 but probably 10-12,000.

It's absolutely incredible how shite the A League is. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is afraid to have a shot on goal. And the finishing is beyond dreadful. Vile.

Piss off mate, its a better standard than the Scottish prem except the old firm, Aberdeen and Hearts

I was surprised with the results this week so far, was expecting Adelaide to beat ethnic fc and was expecting melb Victory to beat franchise fc but what a goal by Cahill

Piss off mate, its a better standard than the Scottish prem except the old firm, Aberdeen and Hearts

[emoji38]:lol:[emoji38]
No, it's defintely not. It's Championship football at best.

I went to a Sydney derby in January and watched Adaleide vs Wanderers the other night. The level of football on display in both was poor, especially the finishing. Players passing it about the oppositions box when you're crying out for a shot - so much dilly dallying. And when they did eventually go for goal it was, 9 times out of 10, fluffed dreadfully. I really enjoyed the game I went to and the goals scored were actually quality. But for the most part it's just poor football all round.

14 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

emoji38.png:lol:emoji38.png

Players passing it about the oppositions box when you're crying out for a shot - so much dilly dallying.

That's typical Adelaide United style of play. Some games they totally dominate and play some of the best football in the league but have a shot at goal? Keep in mind the other night there were only 9 of the starting 22 that played in the Grand Final back in May plus one of our main players, Cirio, had to be subbed after 10 minutes after being deliberately nobbled. 

11 hours ago, XIII said:

It really isn't.

Like any league of a poor standard though, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not enjoyable. I've gotten something from most of what I've watched so far, even if it's pure comedy. Favourite part had to be last week watching a keeper slide tackle his own player to allow for an open goal. Genuinely the first time I've ever seen that.

Impossible to directly compare. Its much slower, more emphasis on possession, less direct than the SPFL. Some of the tackles in Scotland which are let go would end up in cards here. Played over the Australian summer which obviously affects the style of play.

How's the pitch after last night's Rugby League Test?

Wasn't too bad quality, had to watch it at home unfortunately as my Mrs is working so I had to look after my kid.

Good game for Glory, first half was dull but second half wasn't too bad. Keogh though, boys lost his confidence, desperately needs a goal

[emoji38]:lol:[emoji38]

I went to a Sydney derby in January and watched Adaleide vs Wanderers the other night. The level of football on display in both was poor, especially the finishing. Players passing it about the oppositions box when you're crying out for a shot - so much dilly dallying. And when they did eventually go for goal it was, 9 times out of 10, fluffed dreadfully. I really enjoyed the game I went to and the goals scored were actually quality. But for the most part it's just poor football all round.

10 years ago I would have agreed with you, went to a few games including a glory v Wellington where the ball didn't leave the midfield for 20 mins and has been the only time I've fallen asleep during a match. But the standard of the game is getting better with every year and this year is at a decent standard and nowhere near the sledging it's getting on here.

Archived