The Top of the League Thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump

IMG_1483826274.876474.thumb.jpg.249add27

Think we should stick this poster on the outside of the front door so the Airdrie and Alloa fans have something to look at while they are wishing they were us.

Bump

IMG_1483826274.876474.jpg

Think we should stick this poster on the outside of the front door so the Airdrie and Alloa fans have something to look at while they are wishing they were us.

Can't wait for your annual points deduction for some irregular dealings as per usual

Realistically, I don't see Livi being caught. They're a good side at this level with a few players of real quality. I don't think that means they won't hit a sticky spell or suffer setbacks but I don't see anyone behind them who're going to be able to put the kind of run together which will be able to capitalize on the points Livi will drop. It's all too cut-throat amongst the pack.

I agree. There's no outstanding competition from the rest. Thought it was going to be Alloa, but they've not performed as expected. I think that any team in the league will be capable of beating us from now till the end of the season, but none will muster the same level of consistency. Still, you never know!

14 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

I agree. There's no outstanding competition from the rest. Thought it was going to be Alloa, but they've not performed as expected. I think that any team in the league will be capable of beating us from now till the end of the season, but none will muster the same level of consistency. Still, you never know!

Generally I think L1 is usually the tightest in Scotland as in there's rarely a great deal of difference between the top group and the bottom group. The way it tends to go is that most teams go on hot and cold spells and from Alloa down to Albion Rovers everyone's shown that already. If the EF - AR game in hand was played today and there was a winner, they'd go to within touching distance of Alloa. The reality is that Alloa made a great start to the season but 3 wins in their last 10 is not good form, especially with all of them coming against the bottom 2.

Generally I think L1 is usually the tightest in Scotland as in there's rarely a great deal of difference between the top group and the bottom group. The way it tends to go is that most teams go on hot and cold spells and from Alloa down to Albion Rovers everyone's shown that already. If the EF - AR game in hand was played today and there was a winner, they'd go to within touching distance of Alloa. The reality is that Alloa made a great start to the season but 3 wins in their last 10 is not good form, especially with all of them coming against the bottom 2.

Yeah but most teams that come down from the championship tend to stroll it.

1 hour ago, AMC13 said:

Yeah but most teams that come down from the championship tend to stroll it.

Reality would disagree with you there I'm afraid. Only 4 of the past 10 L1 champions have come straight down from the championship the previous season. Plenty of clubs have come down and struggled and some just breezed through L1 straight into L2.

Of course you do get seasons where clubs either walk the league or completely bomb but generally the bulk of the league is usually quite tight because it tends to be made up of similarly sized  part time clubs and the odd full timers who're having a bit of a mare.

Wait, just stop. Is there an actual grown up conversation going on in this thread ? :o

I have to agree what's been mostly said in the few posts, it's certainly ours to lose but a long way to go. 

Hopefully thats our wee sticky patch over, I've no doubt we will lose more games throughout the season but so will other teams. 

Its actually good for us to see teams like East Fife, Queen's Park doing so well, they are currently fighting for the playoffs against Airdrie, Alloa and Brechin so will take points of one another, they have obviously taken points from us too. 

We have just went on a lot more consistent runs, we haven't drawn a game yet either, so it's 3 points or no points, sorry to state the obvious a team like Alloa could win 1 and draw 2 and we could afford to lose a game in those 3 if we win the other 2. 

Anyway as I say a long way to go and I'm not counting our chickens just get but we are very much in the driving seat.

Well Cowdenbeath (the first time), Queen of the south and Morton have all went back up first time of asking. Dunfermline probably would have if they never ran into a rampant Rangers side on relegation and Ayr might have as well in 2010-11 if they didn't run into us coming up the leagues these are all last 5 or 6 years. Of course you have also got your spectacular failures like Clyde and Cowdenbeath doing back to back relegations. Cowdenbeath are just finding their place though and still might in next seasons lowland league.

Going back the last 8 seasons (couldn't be arsed checking back further) the final league tables show 69 points would be enough to win the league as no 2nd placed team has reached that points total. With the mid table teams being so close it could be even less as they're taking points off everyone.

Anyhoo, 16 games left to play, 9 more wins could see us over the line, we've been winning 2 or 3 games then losing one all season so I don't think winning at least 9 more games will be beyond us.

1 hour ago, AMC13 said:

Well Cowdenbeath (the first time), Queen of the south and Morton have all went back up first time of asking. Dunfermline probably would have if they never ran into a rampant Rangers side on relegation and Ayr might have as well in 2010-11 if they didn't run into us coming up the leagues these are all last 5 or 6 years. Of course you have also got your spectacular failures like Clyde and Cowdenbeath doing back to back relegations. Cowdenbeath are just finding their place though and still might in next seasons lowland league.

Yep. That's what actually happened - in the last 10 years, 4 relegated teams have won the league immediately and a few came close. That's a long way from "most teams that come down from the championship tend to stroll it".

In the last 10 years, 17 clubs have been relegated and only 6 even got promoted back at the first time of asking, never mind won the league, never mind strolling it.

Archived