Groucho's

lionel hutz

Groucho's record store on the  Nethergate, Dundee turns 40 today. Any one have any good experiences/stories from Grouchos?

I've been going into Grouchos since the old shop and must've bought dozens of records from the shop over the years. I bought an expensive 7" from their eBay account a few years ago and when he seen I was from Dundee his first comment was "I hope you're an Arab". He seemed genuinely sorry for me when I said I was a Dee :(

I don't seem too excited by their stock these days tbh.

I went for the first time during my recent 2 weeks off work. Found the range stock on show to be very underwhelming. I maybe got them on a bad day but I didnt really find a whole lot that was to my taste. Might just have been my bad luck and others might have found their stock to be more to their liking.

Wouldn't be in a rush to go back - Oxfam Music on Byers Rd in Glasgow is closer to me and there are enough fairs in the central belt that I can go to.

Will maybe give it another shot next time I'm in Dundee for a Clan v Stars game as I'll be going early for a trip to Assai anyway.

I went for the first time during my recent 2 weeks off work. Found the range stock on show to be very underwhelming. I maybe got them on a bad day but I didnt really find a whole lot that was to my taste. Might just have been my bad luck and others might have found their stock to be more to their liking.

Wouldn't be in a rush to go back - Oxfam Music on Byers Rd in Glasgow is closer to me and there are enough fairs in the central belt that I can go to.

Will maybe give it another shot next time I'm in Dundee for a Clan v Stars game as I'll be going early for a trip to Assai anyway.

I found Assai a but underwhelming too. It seemed to be nothing but reissues with very little new releases.

I find Mono much better.

I was the opposite with Assai. Id looked for the Karl Blau album on vinyl since it was released. Not in stock in Mono, HMV or Fopp. Assai had a copy sitting in the rack. I'd ordered it from Amazon about a week before because I couldn't get it locally. No shortage of current new albums when I went, although I did pick up the Belly reissue. I could easily have tanned my entire performance bonus in Assai. No trouble at all. I like Mono and Coda's vinyl room but I'd easily place Assai with both of them. Of the 3 I find Mono to be just a wee bit behind the other 2 in terms of customer service. Found Assai and Coda to be friendlier than Mono. Mono for me unfortunately plays up to the stereotypical indie record store just a bit too much for good and bad.

Back to Grouchos? Distinct lack of Scottish bands, good 80s or 90s bands, no Springsteen that I could find, no Neil Young that I could find and their country stuff either barely displayed or crammed into the cheapo boxes on the floor.

18 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I was the opposite with Assai. Id looked for the Karl Blau album on vinyl since it was released. Not in stock in Mono, HMV or Fopp. Assai had a copy sitting in the rack. I'd ordered it from Amazon about a week before because I couldn't get it locally. No shortage of current new albums when I went, although I did pick up the Belly reissue. I could easily have tanned my entire performance bonus in Assai. No trouble at all. I like Mono and Coda's vinyl room but I'd easily place Assai with both of them. Of the 3 I find Mono to be just a wee bit behind the other 2 in terms of customer service. Found Assai and Coda to be friendlier than Mono. Mono for me unfortunately plays up to the stereotypical indie record store just a bit too much for good and bad.

Back to Grouchos? Distinct lack of Scottish bands, good 80s or 90s bands, no Springsteen that I could find, no Neil Young that I could find and their country stuff either barely displayed or crammed into the cheapo boxes on the floor.

Could have sworn I seen Springsteen in Grouchos, but I suppose it just depends when you go...

In terms of Scottish bands, on my first visit there I picked up 2 Simple Minds LPs and also Hue & Cry's Remote album. 

Not been to Mono, is that in Glasgow? Need to visit Coda next time I'm in Edinburgh as well. 

Archived