Germany - Mannheim and Heidelberg

BallochSonsFan

Booking a trip to Mannheim for a couple of hockey games. Will fly out on the Tuesday and home on the Saturday. Lufthansa from Edinburgh to Frankfurt and then the train down to Mannheim. Couple of questions.

1. Lufthansa offer the option of including rail travel when buying my flights via their website. I'll be travelling alone on this trip - is it worth it to cut out any hassle having to buy train tickets when I get to Germany? I suspect the Lufthansa ticket deal is dearer than a ticket bought on arrival, but I like the idea of having no hassles when I get there.

2. Anybody been to Mannheim? I'll be looking for touristy stuff to do during the day time. I'm going in January so will sadly miss all the Christmas stuff.

3. I've got a full day free on the Thursday (hockey Wednesday and Friday). Would Heidelberg be a decent day trip? Quite fancy it as it's close by.

Definitely book in advance. The saving is huge. Use bahn.com. You get to pick your seat. You can either take a regular seat a la scotrail train or one of the comfy compartments. Make sure you're near to the 'bord bistro' carriage. You get a pint in an actual glass for a little over £3 and can take it to your seat

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Trip booked.

Can't book my hockey tickets til Nov but everything else is booked. Will stick to Mannheim wed and fri. Day trip to Heidelberg on the Thursday. Local travel included in my room cost. Roll on January

With or without the Lufthansa 'Rail & Fly'?

Had a quick check earlier as regards ICE tickets. €19 one way for the advance tickets, €25 is the walk-up price.

Only been to/transited through Mannheim a couple of times, all football related.

Would have said a trip up or down the Rhine, but January will be chilly so probably not a goer.

With. I'm travelling solo so I want as little scope for hassle as possible. Its one less thing to do when I get there. My hotel gives free local travel for the duration of the trip so anything I pay extra in the fly/rail ticket I save with the tram pass included with my hotel. I think the local travel pass even covers regional trains so may take me to Heidelberg.

• 4 weeks later...

I was there in the summer. Heidelberg is a great place. A lot of character. Good pubs. Nice setting.

Mannheim is just another city. Although they have Adler Mannheim, which will be the reason you're going. But I would prefer to stay in Heidelberg and just get the S-Bahn through to Mannheim. Only takes 15 minutes.

Archived