Taiwan

S7C

Has anyone ever been?

I'm thinking of possibly spending 5 nights there in January and was just looking for opinions / recommendations. Seems like there's enough to keep me occupied and looks like something a little different.

Taiwan is pretty decent. Will be cold in Taipei at that time. Taipei and Tainan are worth visiting. The west coast of the island is very industrial and crossing over to the east coast is quieter and more rural. Bullet train runs from Taipei to Kaohsiung in the south down the west coast. Decent island, but as mentioned very industrial. Food is quite good and they go a lot for Japanese food.

9 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Taiwan is pretty decent. Will be cold in Taipei at that time. Taipei and Tainan are worth visiting. The west coast of the island is very industrial and crossing over to the east coast is quieter and more rural. Bullet train runs from Taipei to Kaohsiung in the south down the west coast. Decent island, but as mentioned very industrial. Food is quite good and they go a lot for Japanese food.

Yeah, I'm not too fussed about the cold. Can't be worse than here in January.

Was thinking a couple of nights in Hualien / Taroko Gorge and the remainder of time in Taipei. I've heard great things about the food. Also heard that the country in general is a bit of a cross between China and Japan.

Only been once, for a week ca. 3 years ago.

Enjoyed Taipei which has an easy to navigate subway system. Stuff like the Chiang Kai-shek memorial hall and also the Sun Yat-sen memorial hall are worth visiting as well as Taipei 101.

Was in Kaohsiung as well but that was mostly for work.

The bullet trains which go up and down the west coast are easy to purchase tickets for and very regular.

Was a bit disappointed by the food, found it to be not always the best quality of meat being used and in a lot of places it's over loaded with monosodium glutamate.

Definitely won't be worse than Scotland in January for sure. Other than being populated by Chinese, I wouldn't say it's like mainland China, maybe a cross between Hong Kong and Japan. Your plan makes sense as the whole of the west coast is given over to manufacturing. The bullet train runs direct from the airport to Taipei (or south if you want it), but it does finish quite early at night, so best check your flight time. Certainly wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice to go to in the region, but 5 days sounds about right. The people are generally nice and friendly and many/most speak English. Food wise, as I said it's pretty good and they certainly go more towards Japanese food.

Archived