Stranraer vs. Airdrieonians

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a really good performance the other day.

We were in total control first half and forced Belford into a number of half decent saves. It was disappointing to concede when we did, but it was a lovely move by Stranraer to level it. Really pleased for Adam Brown getting his goal too - hopefully he kicks on from this.

Second half we started pretty sluggishly and didn't really get going for the first 25 mins or so. Despite having most of the ball, Stranraer didn't really threaten though and I can't recall Rohan having a save to make.

Delighted we dug out the win in the end. As others have said, Leitch's flick for the goal was superb and we did have other chances with Brown cracking the bar second half.

It was an important 3 points ahead of the Rovers game next week and Livi dropping points was a real boost too.

We do have a good first 11 now, a few more players to add a bit of depth and I'd be confident we'll be at least second in the table come the end of the season.

2 hours ago, diamondman said:

Belford should have walked for that at the end. Not the first time for the rotund custodian either!

Noticed that in this league only 2 teams have taken more points at home than away and they are at  the foot of the table. Looks like counter attacking is what does it when the home team open up. With a home game coming up against Albion do you just ignore that possibility and stick to the game plan? Ryan is a key player and how that Belford escaped with just a yellow when he was reckless in that foul surprised me on seeing the highlights. Roll on 2nd.

Being 100% honest I didn't think Stranraer played that bad - seen us play worse and win over the years but nevertheless this is becoming a worrying trend. A lot of our fans are focusing on our forward line and don't get me wrong Nuttal had a poor game. For me though the problems are even bigger at the other end where we concede too many soft goals and this is a big part of why we don't get the results we maybe deserve.

Take a quick look at the league table. If you look at the table at the teams ranging from 3rd to bottom only Alloa have scored more than us. So yeah 24 goals is nothing special but other teams ain't banging loads in either. Looking at goals conceded only Stenhousemuir have conceded more and for me that's very concerning. McKeown just ain't the player he was, Barron is a decent and our best right back but that's irrelevant if he is injured much of the time and despite making a few costly errors throughout the season we would have possibly conceded more if it wasn't for Belford. Sadly Barron is highly unlikely to ever play week in week out so IMO we need a new centre back (shifting Robertson to RB) or a new right back so we have a realistic chance of having a settled back 4 which can begin to gel. There is generally a lack of pace at the back and teams get in behind us too often.      

Still feel we can turn this around though. Agnew is starting to play a lot better and I thought Gibson looked threatening. Queens Park is a big game now and I was thinking we can win. Their result against Livingston has made me a bit more apprehensive though. Wouldn't be looking to sack Brian Reid just now but if things are no better by the end of January/start of February the board will have a big decision to make.    

2 hours ago, tuckersloan said:

Being 100% honest I didn't think Stranraer played that bad - seen us play worse and win over the years but nevertheless this is becoming a worrying trend. A lot of our fans are focusing on our forward line and don't get me wrong Nuttal had a poor game. For me though the problems are even bigger at the other end where we concede too many soft goals and this is a big part of why we don't get the results we maybe deserve.

Take a quick look at the league table. If you look at the table at the teams ranging from 3rd to bottom only Alloa have scored more than us. So yeah 24 goals is nothing special but other teams ain't banging loads in either. Looking at goals conceded only Stenhousemuir have conceded more and for me that's very concerning. McKeown just ain't the player he was, Barron is a decent and our best right back but that's irrelevant if he is injured much of the time and despite making a few costly errors throughout the season we would have possibly conceded more if it wasn't for Belford. Sadly Barron is highly unlikely to ever play week in week out so IMO we need a new centre back (shifting Robertson to RB) or a new right back so we have a realistic chance of having a settled back 4 which can begin to gel. There is generally a lack of pace at the back and teams get in behind us too often.      

Still feel we can turn this around though. Agnew is starting to play a lot better and I thought Gibson looked threatening. Queens Park is a big game now and I was thinking we can win. Their result against Livingston has made me a bit more apprehensive though. Wouldn't be looking to sack Brian Reid just now but if things are no better by the end of January/start of February the board will have a big decision to make.    

Very good post Tucker,some very relevant points.

"thought Ryan made a meal of Cammys challenge "

Were you at Broomfield in the game earlier when Belford kicked Ryan in a similar fashion.?

Were the positions reversed...hypothetically... would you be saying it was just a yellow?  Watch the footage there is clear intent.

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

Not that it makes any difference to the score but the goalie should have been sent off. It was an assault. The ref probably let him off lightly because Ryan was offside but that shouldn't have affected the outcome.

What would Matt Northcroft or Willie Colum have done?

Archived