Kenny Miller - 4 In 3

Don van Vliet II

Can anyone tell me of any other player(s) in living memory who has scored 4 goals in 3 successive outings for Scotland? - or to be precise in this case, 2 and a half outings? 

I'd be interested to know.

669056[/snapback]

He only played the first half in Austria as well.

Can anyone tell me of any other player(s) in living memory who has scored 4 goals in 3 successive outings for Scotland? - or to be precise in this case, 2 and a half outings? 

I'd be interested to know.

669056[/snapback]

He never actually got 4 in 3 right enough but between 2nd April 1997 and 11th October 1997 Kevin Gallacher got 6 in 7 games.

April 2nd 1997 - Scotland 2-0 Austria, Gallacher (2)

April 30th 1997 - Sweden 2-1 Scotland, Gallacher

May 27th 1997 - Scotland 0-1 Wales

June 1st 1997 - Malta 2-3 Scotland

June 8th 1997 - Belarus 0-1 Scotland

Sept 7th 1997 - Scotland 4-1 Belarus, Gallacher (2)

Oct 11th 1997 - Scotland 2-0 Latvia, Gallacher (1)

There are actually two answers for this question.

1. A player who has scored 4 goals in HIS successive matches for Scotland, and

2. A player who has scored 4 goals in SCOTLAND'S successive matches, as well as his own

And then there's the aforementioned (on the other thread) Mo Johnston:-

Sept 14th 1988 - Norway 1-2 Scotland, Johnston (1)

Oct 19th 1988 - Scotland 1-1 Yugoslavia, Johnston

Dec 22nd 1988 - Italy 2-0 Scotland

Feb 8th 1989 - Cyprus 2-3 Scotland, Johnston (1)

Mar 8th 1989 - Scotland 2-0 France, Johnston (2)

Apr 26th 1989 - Scotland 2-1 Cyprus, Johnston (1)

There's a run of 4 in 3 there as part of run of 6 in 6.

Scotland didn't play any games in that period that Johnston didn't figure in so there's your 4 in 3 run for both player and country and hardly outwith living memory (though it is some 16 years ago now, seems like yesterday :( )

Billy Dodds twice scored three in two games in a four day spell for Scotland but never made it to 4 in 3.

He got two against Estonia on Oct 10th 1998 and one four days later against the Faroe Islands. He repeated the feat in March 2001, scoring both goals at home against Belgium on the 24th and one at home to San Marino 4 days later.

Denis Law twice got 4 in ONE game for Scotland. On the second occasion (November 1963 against Norway again) he scored in his previous and next games also, making 6 in 3 games in total. The first time he did it (Nov 1962 v N Ireland) he also scored in his previous game to make it 5 in 2 games. On 8th May 1963 he got 2 against Austria and a month later three in Norway for another run of five in 2. Adding that run together, including blank games in between, between Oct 1962 and Nov 1963, Law actually piled up 16 goals in 9 games.

However, all that is granted before I was born and probably before the majority of this forum's users were to be fair.

Well thank you Drifter - I'm glad I gave you something useful to do with your time! That was an impressive piece of researching!

*bows in admiration at the Statto King! B)

And as for you, k38jfb, are you going to reveal or just tease? Or were meaning Colin Stein - Colin Stein Colin Stein the greatest thing since Heinz baked beans, went the song, lol

And as for you, k38jfb, are you going to reveal or just tease?  Or were meaning Colin Stein - Colin Stein Colin Stein the greatest thing since Heinz baked beans, went the song, lol

669456[/snapback]

OK, the player who scored 4 goals in 4 games for Scotland, albeit they weren't back-to-back in Scotland's terms, was... *drum roll*

SCOTT BOOTH!!! :o

He actually scored FOUR goals in FOUR successive matches, against San Marino (Oct 94), Russia (Nov 94), Finland (Sep 95) and San Marino (Nov 1995).

OK, the player who scored 4 goals in 4 games for Scotland, albeit they weren't back-to-back in Scotland's terms, was... *drum roll*

SCOTT BOOTH!!! :o

He actually scored FOUR goals in FOUR successive matches, against San Marino (Oct 94), Russia (Nov 94), Finland (Sep 95) and San Marino (Nov 1995).

669732[/snapback]

He didn't get four in three games though, which was the original question. I think I'm right in saying Mo Johnston in 1989 was the last to do that.

Well thank you Drifter - I'm glad I gave you something useful to do with your time!  That was an impressive piece of researching!

*bows in admiration at the Statto King!  B)

669456[/snapback]

Not really that impressive. The SFA website has an excellent website search engine in it and it was the work of a few minutes to plug in some of the more obvious names and obtain the facts and figures. Only problem was the website doesn't collate players appearances in date order, it does it in competition order so you have to check the friendlies separately to competitive games and that takes a few seconds longer.

I knew Law and Stein had both got four in a game but that was before I was born. The phrase "living memory" in your question is subjective though as it depends on the age of the questioner. I wasn't surprised to find Dalglish had 4 in 3 too but still probably pre-living memory for most forum users. I was fairly sure Mo Johnston had done it though and so it proved. I thought Gallacher might have but not quite, though he did have an impressive run in the late 90's. Forgot about Booth right enough but then he didn't actually achieve the requested feat either and it wasn't in consecutive Scotland games, just consecutive appearances for him which isn't quite the same thing.

Who was the last player to score a hat trick for us then?

669766[/snapback]

Would have to be before 1990, as I checked all the matches from then to 2005, on the SFA website.

SD, Mo Johnston was the last player to score four in three games.

Archived