I did a prediction league back at the 29 games played which I did not publish. I have updated it to see how out of shape I am in predictions. The only team I got right was airdrie so I am hoping that what I predicted back then pans out after Saturdays results. Alloa gained two less than I thought/East Fife 5 less/Brechin 2 more / Albion Rovers two more/Queens park four more, so given that I am so bad at other teams I confidently predict that the play off three wil be:
Alloa

Airdrie

Brechin

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Airdrie yet to play both East Fife and QP, 52 points should guarantee a playoff place. 

For Brechin this means 7 points needed, which should be targeted from the last three games, leaving this Saturday's trip to Alloa as something of a shot to nothing. Hopefully tho Alloa's tempo might drop a little with nothing to play for immediately and City can take a point at least. 

The form team is Rovers and they'd be looking up the table rather than down, were it not for the fact they have a very tough run in with four games against teams above them. They're safe but best they can hope for now is fifth, spoiling someone else's party on the way.

QP would need to win three of their last four to reach 52 points and they draw too many games for that to be plausible. 

E Fife are on a poor run but will beat a Peterhead lacking McAllister. If they can beat Airdrie too they will overtake them and claim the fourth playoff place alongside Brechin; Airdrie will drop points to both Alloa and away at Stranraer, and if EF beat them even a win at home in the last game won't be enough. 

The bottom two will cut each other's throats next weekend. Only question is which order they finish in. I reckon as it stands now. 

14 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

With Airdrie yet to play both East Fife and QP, 52 points should guarantee a playoff place. 

For Brechin this means 7 points needed, which should be targeted from the last three games, leaving this Saturday's trip to Alloa as something of a shot to nothing. Hopefully tho Alloa's tempo might drop a little with nothing to play for immediately and City can take a point at least. 

The form team is Rovers and they'd be looking up the table rather than down, were it not for the fact they have a very tough run in with four games against teams above them. They're safe but best they can hope for now is fifth, spoiling someone else's party on the way.

QP would need to win three of their last four to reach 52 points and they draw too many games for that to be plausible. 

E Fife are on a poor run but will beat a Peterhead lacking McAllister. If they can beat Airdrie too they will overtake them and claim the fourth playoff place alongside Brechin; Airdrie will drop points to both Alloa and away at Stranraer, and if EF beat them even a win at home in the last game won't be enough. 

The bottom two will cut each other's throats next weekend. Only question is which order they finish in. I reckon as it stands now. 

Football predictions are wonderful and I understand your logic. We have managed somehow to beat all the teams we are still due to play and lose none to East fife so I remain hopeful we will not lose at Methil. It is all in the lap of whoever defends better.

40 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Alloa would secure a play off position with a win on Saturday. The play offs that favour the championship team very much - must say I never noticed when it was us getting the advantage!

I am trying to work out how alloa have been disadvantaged in the Play offs as I thought your success was quite high in these games since the play offs first came in? If you want to suffer play off despair have a look at Airdrie's record. I think you will finish 2nd which means playing a team from the same league first rather than if you finish fourth you play the "championship" side first. Mind you Stranraer knocked out Livingston last season in that scenario, only to lose on penalties to Ayr so you can never tell who has the advantage?

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Alloa would secure a play off position with a win on Saturday. The play offs that favour the championship team very much - must say I never noticed when it was us getting the advantage!

I don't think the 9th placed team get much of an advantage. You could argue that 2nd should play 4th and 9th plays 3rd but there's likely to be very little between 3rd and 4th this year and probably isn't much in most years.

It's hardly the outrageous advantage given to the team finishing 11th in the Premier. Or even the team finishing 10th in L2.

46 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

No. It's definitely not outrageous. But I do agree it should be 2nd Vs 4th but I'm probably only saying that as we are in 2nd and not in the championship this time!

I see what you mean by that argument now. How have Alloa actually performed when in play offs so I don't need to google it?

I see what you mean by that argument now. How have Alloa actually performed when in play offs so I don't need to google it?

Very well. Think we've won the most play off finals in the SPFL history - correct me if I'm wrong. But normally we do ok yep!

Very well. Think we've won the most play off finals in the SPFL history - correct me if I'm wrong it's some stat like that. But normally we do ok yep!

We've been in the play offs a few times and had a mixed bag of results. Certainly in the Maitland era. Gary McSwegan is a fat w**k.

Everytime we have got to the final we have won. 3 times I think? Berwick, Dunfermline and Forfar

Pumped out in the semis twice that i can remember. Clyde and cowden.

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

Very well. Think we've won the most play off finals in the SPFL history - correct me if I'm wrong it's some stat like that. But normally we do ok yep!

Thanks for all the links and info to everyone. When I get back from Stranraer I will have a good look.

Watched the goals etc before I left; great mix up between Dodds/Douglas in the Great escape. Had seen the games on Alba at the time but good to see again if only to improve my Gaelic. Some tackle by Holmes, one of the few he gets wrong. Was Ryan McCord in hat team that day? He was our POTY on loan from Dundee Utd but I think he choose to go to Alloa the following season-very talented player.

8 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Watched the goals etc before I left; great mix up between Dodds/Douglas in the Great escape. Had seen the games on Alba at the time but good to see again if only to improve my Gaelic. Some tackle by Holmes, one of the few he gets wrong. Was Ryan McCord in hat team that day? He was our POTY on loan from Dundee Utd but I think he choose to go to Alloa the following season-very talented player.

Yes ryan mccord was !

Archived