Livi v Airdrie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've seen a team so shambolic defensively in a long time as Airdrie have been this season. That's a remarkable feat in all honest given that Mark Wilson was a defender, and that they've got a fairly experienced player in Simon Mensing (despite what some may say). Even more bizarre they've contrived to look worse in the two games post-Christmas where the two of them have actually been involved. :lol:

It was the best they've played against us, but we more than aided them in that regard. We flew out the blocks and deservedly took a two goal lead, no team can present the other chances like that and expect to get away with it. Then our intensity dropped as you could tell Airdrie were beginning to get a foothold after the shocking start, I remain unconvinced it was a free kick for their first goal but it was very well executed and really, Airdrie should've equalised early in the second half. Some good balls into our box asking for a connection and half-hearted clearances were asking for trouble.

I'm glad that we then saw it out comfortably after riding out the "storm"; Mullen showing the class to muscle round the centre half on the turn and finish well. Then, Cadden showing he's a far more capable player than Mullin and striking a thunderb*****d in the bottom corner. That must've stung for Airdrie.

Can't really say about the penalty as I was down the other end but it looked like Halkett may have got a touch; more than happy to be proved wrong but it was pretty immaterial in the end.

Just think, we never really got going today after the first 10 minutes and still fired four into Airdrie. Realistically should've been six given the sitters Todorov missed, but I do actually feel for the Airdrie fans if they have to watch this side for another season under Wilson's stewardship. All over the shop at the back and not really utilising their best players in attack to the fullest despite the respectable tallies of Ryan and Russell. Good luck in the play-offs, if you make it!

Just now, Afro said:

I don't think I've seen a team so shambolic defensively in a long time as Airdrie have been this season. That's a remarkable feat in all honest given that Mark Wilson was a defender, and that they've got a fairly experienced player in Simon Mensing (despite what some may say). Even more bizarre they've contrived to look worse in the two games post-Christmas where the two of them have actually been involved. :lol:

It was the best they've played against us, but we more than aided them in that regard. We flew out the blocks and deservedly took a two goal lead, no team can present the other chances like that and expect to get away with it. Then our intensity dropped as you could tell Airdrie were beginning to get a foothold after the shocking start, I remain unconvinced it was a free kick for their first goal but it was very well executed and really, Airdrie should've equalised early in the second half. Some good balls into our box asking for a connection and half-hearted clearances were asking for trouble.

I'm glad that we then saw it out comfortably after riding out the "storm"; Mullen showing the class to muscle round the centre half on the turn and finish well. Then, Cadden showing he's a far more capable player than Mullin and striking a thunderb*****d in the bottom corner. That must've stung for Airdrie.

Can't really say about the penalty as I was down the other end but it looked like Halkett may have got a touch; more than happy to be proved wrong but it was pretty immaterial in the end.

Just think, we never really got going today after the first 10 minutes and still fired four into Airdrie. Realistically should've been six given the sitters Todorov missed, but I do actually feel for the Airdrie fans if they have to watch this side for another season under Wilson's stewardship. All over the shop at the back and not really utilising their best players in attack to the fullest despite the respectable tallies of Ryan and Russell. Good luck in the play-offs, if you make it!

You wanting them up for an easy 12 points next season?

You wanting them up for an easy 12 points next season?

If Airdrie were to somehow arrest their current slump and make it into the play-offs, let alone beating a Championship side and Alloa in all likelihood, I would be stunned. If they miraculously made it up with Wilson in charge I would be bitterly disappointed if we didn't take maximum points from them. MW doesn't look like could even tie his shoes at the moment, let alone set up a team.

Good on the young man, take the piss but that says more about you than him.

He's passionate about the football club, not many that age will choose a Livingston or an Airdrie etc to support when they could go along to one of the ugly sisters like most do.

Good on you lad, keep it up. 

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

He's passionate about the football club, not many that age will choose a Livingston or an Airdrie etc to support when they could go along to one of the ugly sisters like most do.

You're right - absolutely fair play to him for supporting Livingston. It is much easier to go to eg a Celtic. Deserves credit for it. 

Edit: when are the official highlights normally up? I want to see if the fourth is as bad as it looked yesterday 

No excuses from me as we got what I predicted; the usual defensive comedies; a brief spell of pressure with no end result; Cadden does his sub trick again;our goalie is hopeless; and a reasonable bunch of players are grossly mis managed by a Radio pundit and his pla as DOF. Congratulations to Livingston and we will not meet up again for  a while I believe.

Alloa might be the only team that could square off with the division above. My worries still remain at the other end; just hope Stenny collapse. what a season of rubbish and yet two forwards who could score 20 goals each!

Just seen highlights. Standard of camera work and pitch about as good as our play. Usual defensive shambles. How people can come on here and defend the goalkeeper is beyond my comprehension. He's absolute rubbish. Beginning to think that Mensing no improvement on Boateng.

I'm no fan of Wilson and don't think he should have been appointed. But looking at those goals it's hard not to feel some sympathy for him. The play from Mensing and Gorman for the first goal is unbelievable (even by this season's standards!), McGregor's defending for the 3rd is pathetic. 2 minutes before the 3rd goal Cadden is easily allowed to cut inside and get a shot off, then for the goal he does exactly the same thanks to a pathetic effort by MacDonald to allow him inside onto his left (all he is ever going to do) and then Ferguson with a howler.

It is the manager's job to set up the team and get them organised (something which he has undoubtedly failed to do a lot this season), but there is a certain level of ability/brain power that a manager should be able to expect of professional footballers, and that is simply not being met by the majority of the team.

The 4th goal is a belter when you see it again on the highlights, straight at the keeper.:lol: Danny used his arse well to roll the Airdrie defender for our 3rd, and Buchanan rips the piss right out of Mensing mugging the ball off him for our 1st.

6 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

Good on the young man, take the piss but that says more about you than him.

Spot on.

In real-time from where I was sitting, it looked like the sheer power of Cadden's shot took it past the goalkeeper; those highlights tell a different story, though. Horrendous error from Ferguson given it's pretty much straight at him. I'm sure someone suggested we could sign him in the summer - based on Saturday, and the other meetings this season, I'd rather keep Kelly, and that's saying something.

In real-time from where I was sitting, it looked like the sheer power of Cadden's shot took it past the goalkeeper; those highlights tell a different story, though. Horrendous error from Ferguson given it's pretty much straight at him. I'm sure someone suggested we could sign him in the summer - based on Saturday, and the other meetings this season, I'd rather keep Kelly, and that's saying something.

That would have been me regarding Ferguson. I haven't seen him in the flesh but the highlights do show some major GK errors. Mind Kelly's one at Alloa though?

On 27/03/2017 at 11:41, Afro said:

Regards to my comment Afro on saying i was confident we would win the league i clearly got that prediction wrong. I believed in December/ January the signings we would make would improve the squad however Wilson/ Dalziel have failed as you don't sign a couple other centre half's unless they are better than centre half's you already have. The one good signing Wilson has made is the loan signings of Kyle Hutton.

My other prediction that Andy Ryan will be top scorer in the league still in with a good shout.

Archived