Discrimination in Scottish football - fan opinions

I've completed your survey mate. Hope the dissertation goes well.

Couple of points to raise though - you're asking if people have ever heard anything racist/homophobic shouted at a football ground. I have, years ago though, so have answered yes to that question. Is that what you're trying to find out - if people have ever heard these shouts? You may get a wide spread of answers as there's no question of timeframe.

And the answer options to this question are pretty ambiguous: In your opinion is racism/homophobia an issue in Scottish football

Anyway, good luck with the dissertation.

I've just done it and wouod echo the above poster. 

I've heard homophobic shouts, but that was quite a long time ago, as I don't hear players get called 'poofs' or similar any more.

Also I heard a fan call a player a racist name, but that was in 2009, and haven't heard a player be racially abused at a game since.

Hi mate, did the survey, think the posters above have a good point about things happening a long while back. I remember hearing about the abuse Justin Fashanu got while playing for Airdrie, although I can't remember it personally. I think times have changed a bit though, and although I'm sure there would be one or two people who would want to abuse an openly gay player, I don't think we'd ever see a situation where a stand full of fans would be singing or chanting in an abusive way. I also think that other fans would be good at shouting down anyone within their own support who behaved inappropriately. Maybe that's being optimistic, but that's the way I would see it going.

If you're looking for views on discrimination, then an anonymous survey would be a good place to ask people how they would feel about having an openly gay player at their own club. 

Archived