The Brighton Story

So Brighton's decline was really started by the bigot Gordon Smith! Everything he touches is a disaster.

Interesting piece but I thought there was a lot more involved in them finding a new home in Brighton. I thought they had quite a few locations turned down before finally getting Falmer and one politician in particular had been the new public enemy number one. My first thoughts were it was Prescott but he's the hero here. A quick google doesn't throw any light on it. Shall do some more searching when time allows. 

3 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

So Brighton's decline was really started by the bigot Gordon Smith! Everything he touches is a disaster.

Interesting piece but I thought there was a lot more involved in them finding a new home in Brighton. I thought they had quite a few locations turned down before finally getting Falmer and one politician in particular had been the new public enemy number one. My first thoughts were it was Prescott but he's the hero here. A quick google doesn't throw any light on it. Shall do some more searching when time allows. 

There's TONS more on it. Should really be a feature-length documentary or a great book. May both exist already but this is a good taster.

45 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

There's TONS more on it. Should really be a feature-length documentary or a great book. May both exist already but this is a good taster.

Thought there would be. I must just need to up my googling skills!

fun fact: Rovers were the opposition for the first game at The Amex by special request as we had been the last team to play them at The Goldstone; throw in games at Withdean Stadium and Priestfield (Gillingham), I've seen us play at - and get beat - by Brighton on four different "home" grounds...

(the "fun" bit might not have been strictly true...)

f**k Brighton...to a point. 

The whole of the UK was behind them in '97 and we were the underdogs. 

My beautiful town was filled with Des Lynam's mates. The atmosphere at the game was insane. 

Even as a 15 year old, seeing the fans and players on the pitch at the end in tears still haunts me. 

However, Brighton fans have been very supportive towards Hereford FC. 

Still, we beat them in the FA Cup the season after which was extremely pleasing. 

Archived