Addiction - medical reality vs. willpower?

banana

Thanks for that.
So assuming those variable propensities, Hitchens' angle is that there must still exist free will beyond, in your example, the neurochemistry. Therefore regardless of the level of difficulty, it's still fundamentally an issue of making good choices to overcome your propensities, personal responsibility.

Answer The Moonster, please.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

How does a new born crack addicted baby "make good choices to overcome its propensities"?

I suppose Hitchens would say such a baby had no free will (control of the situation) to start with, and in its current form has no free will to stop. The mother was/is the one with the choice. Any dependency it has at birth would have to be managed/abated on its behalf.

4 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I can't say much about the topic from a scientific perspective, but I count the decision to always turn down weed in the 16-20 age range as one of the two or three most important decisions I ever made in my life. 

Because it made you the massive wet wipe you are today?

3 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I can't say much about the topic from a scientific perspective, but I count the decision to always turn down weed in the 16-20 age range as one of the two or three most important decisions I ever made in my life. 

We all do, fùck knows what you'd be like stoned.

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Straight from the propaganda playbook. You must be proud.

Maybe. I'm a low skilled person. One thing a lot of low skilled people I know who constantly face financial pressure have in common is that they didn't work enough hours as a young man because they spent so much time stoned on the couch. I always worked extra to avoid boredom. Can't say I would have done that if I was content to be stoned and laugh at stupid movies on the couch for hours straight.

16 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Maybe. I'm a low skilled person. One thing a lot of low skilled people I know who constantly face financial pressure is that they didn't work enough hours as a young man because they spent so much time stoned on the couch. I always worked extra to avoid boredom. Can't say I would have done that if I was content to be stoned and laugh at stupid movies on the couch for hours straight.

Yeah, people who smoke weed can't ever amount to anything in life. 

I smoked cigarettes from 14-25 and just gave up completely cold turkey. It was extremely difficult but after a week or two you can really feel the benefits. At 31 now I feel fitter than I was at 21. I've had about 3 fags in the last 6 years, 2 in Spain on a stag do and 1 at a party one night. Both were more than 4 years ago now.

Took me about a year or two before I stopped craving in the morning. Doesn't even cross my mind now though.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

No?

What does this imply then?

I think we all know that one of the problems in our society is that low skilled young males are working at much lower rates and much fewer hours than in the past. There are probably dozens of reasons for this, but I think one reason is that casual drug use has made a boring, mundane life much more tolerable. At least that's what my personal observations lead me to believe.

14 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

No, because I never became one of those low skilled people who became content to sit on my couch 8-12 hours a day and be poor.

Instead you became one of those low skilled people who became content to sit on your couch 8-12 hours a day posting drivel on the internet. Winner.

Archived