The A Word

Stevo Fife

Cant believe no thread on this.

Tuesdays, BBC 1 at 9pm. Well worth a watch and a superb performance from Christopher Eccleston.

The series follows a five-year-old boy and how his dysfunctional family cope with the revelation that he has autism. Now nearing the end of season 2 but well worth downloading and watching from the beginning.

I discovered series two from episode 3 I think it was. Mrs TDB in an avid viewer. So I went and watched series 1 on catch up then caught up and been following series 2 as well. Really enjoying it. Soundtrack is bloody decent it has to be said. Ecclestone is excellent. 

The BBC does some things very well. This is one of them. 

Ended up watching the first episode of the first series last year by accident, absolutely loved it. Watched the next episode and I just kept putting it off and saying I’d get it on catch-up after that, never got round to it. Watched each episode this series though, they’ve done really well with this. Eccleston is exceptional and the wee boy is an incredibly good actor for his age, that must be such a tough role to play considering all of the mannerisms and facial expressions that need to stay consistent.

Can’t be arsed looking for it the now, but last year, after watching the first couple of episodes, I read a really insightful and honest article from the mother of a child with autism regarding this series and discussed how accurate it was. I think the only misconception/cliché she picked up on was the assumption that everyone on the autism spectrum will have some sort of ‘gift’, in the A Word’s case it’s Joe’s ability to memorise song lyrics and album titles and years. Other than that, she was very positive about the series.

The soundtrack is fantastic too.

Archived