Overtime ??

7 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

Do you truly own your property if a bank can just take it away if you don't pay?

A mortgage is just renting plus you can do a wee bit of decorating.

As a homeowner (2 properties actually) I completely agree with this.

A mortgage is a load of shite.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Working overtime for nothing does not keep you in a job. It gets your manager a promotion.

...and keeps others out of jobs.

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

f**k the private sector.

’mon the workshy public sector.

You called?

31 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Bloody taxpayers, wanting stuff done.

Hacker: How many people do we have in this department?

Sir Humphrey: Ummm... well, we're very small..

Hacker: Two, maybe three thousand?

Sir Humphrey: About twenty-three thousand to be precise.

Hacker: TWENTY-THREE THOUSAND! In the department of administrative affairs, twenty-three thousand administrators just to administer the other administrators! We need to do a time-and-motion study, see who we can get rid of.

Sir Humphrey: Ah, well, we did one of those last year

Hacker: And what were the results?

Sir Humphrey: It turned out that we needed another five hundred people.

1 hour ago, whiskychimp said:

Don't know how badly you are doing out of your mortgage but mine has been a licence to print money. Better than a savings account.

I don't have a mortgage and it's very unlikely I ever will, but I doubt they're better than a savings account

2 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Don't know how badly you are doing out of your mortgage but mine has been a licence to print money. Better than a savings account.

I'd imagine you get more value for your money in Kilmarnock, what with it being a shitehole and that.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't have a mortgage and it's very unlikely I ever will, but I doubt they're better than a savings account

I'll try to explain, bear with me. 

If I didnt have a mortgage Id be paying about a grand in rent. My mortgage is about the same.

I pay interest only at 1.9% and invest the capital. Over the last decade that's made me about 9%. Net win of 7%.

At the same time my asset is appreciating in value. 

If ever I couldn't afford the mortgage, Id sell and take my profit.

I don't see it as a debt at all. 

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is that even legal? If it is it's a disgrace.

I don't understand why folk would choose to do it for free. If the work can't be completed in time then management need to employ more staff.

The owner of a business can do as much overtime as he likes and then decide whether or not to pay himself for doing so.

Some owners take the attitude that if they have to any amount of overtime then so should everybody else.
Some employees are stupid enough to think that is a valid argument.  It is not.

I recall one company that had a real overtime culture.
Although the contract was 9 to 5, 5 o'clock would sail past unnoticed followed by 6, 7 and 8.
Eventually somebody would crack and say "That's enough for me - I think I would call it a night."
The owner would then say "Okay - fair enough, I expect I will follow shortly."
Some people admired his endurance - and totally ignored the fact that they had worked extra hours completely free of charge - while he could choose to pay himself overtime if he wanted to.

I work unpaid O/T because I'm on salary, I am well paid and I work whatever hours I need to in order to fulfill my job description. It's a two way contract and both parties should hold up their end. I run a manufacturing plant 3 days a week (weekend shifts 24/7 so I'm basically on call the 36 hours I'm not on site. I work 4 or 5 hours on a Monday to tie up loose ends and hand over with the other manager (we both work the Friday).  I would never dream of expecting any of my staff to work O/T unpaid. Anyone working unpaid O/T when they are on an hourly rate needs their head checked and their managers are c***s of the highest order for allowing it.

Archived