Now We Are Out

Bryan

Pressley

Weir

McCann

Dailly

Douglas

Where have all the good centre halves Scotland used to churn out easily gone - can only think of Kennedy (if he plays again) and McManus at Celtic coming through, along with Webster of Hearts that could slot in.

Neil McCann

David Weir

Christian Dailly

Graham Alexander

Rab Douglas

Brian O'Neil

Stevie Crawford

Colin Cameron

Paul Dickov

Malky MacKay

Gary Holt

Paul Ritchie

Callum Davidson

Don Hutchinson

Paul Devlin

Graeme Murty

Paul Ritchie

Derek McInnes

Allan Johnston

Neil Sullivan

Richard Hughes

Neil McCann

David Weir

Christian Dailly

Graham Alexander

Rab Douglas

Brian O'Neil

Stevie Crawford

Colin Cameron

Paul Dickov

Malky MacKay

Gary Holt

Paul Ritchie

Callum Davidson

Don Hutchinson

Paul Devlin

Graeme Murty

Paul Ritchie

Derek McInnes

Allan Johnston

Neil Sullivan

Richard Hughes

707102[/snapback]

Agree

Agree

Disagree

Disagree

Agree

Agree

Agree

Agree

Disagree

Agree with all the rest. And a few "Who??" moments in there!

Weir

Douglas

Dailly

McCann

Alexander

:ph34r:

707056[/snapback]

Who should retire is a matter of personal preference really. To be honest I've always felt no-one should "retire". I think it's morally wrong to make yourself unavailable for international duty. If your manager believes you are still the best in your position you should still be prepared to play.

Who will retire is an entirely different question. It's by and large a pretty young squad we have with Vogts at least having cleared out a lot of the dead wood before he went. I don't think we'll have seen the last of too many of them.

Jackie McNamara was making noises about retiring the other week but I think he has still something to offer. He's only in his early 30's, still young enough for a defender.

The obvious candidate is Davie Weir, comfortably the oldest in the squad. I guess he may walk away again. I'm not sure he should though. He was very poor today but has otherwise been outstanding since his return and whilst he may not get through to the next Euros, he probably has something to offer yet in the campaign to get there.

Personally I'm no great fan of Pressley, I think Webster the better player, and he too is early 30's now but I think he has at the very least another campaign in him and if Weir does go I would think we'd need to keep Pressley in the fold. I don't fancy a central pairing of Webster and theone of the Caldwells or Russell Anderson.

I guess Rab Douglas could go. Barring injury to Gordon he's never going to get his first team place back and I reckon the likes of Marshall and Esson, maybe even Turner in due course will come through an squeeze him out sooner or later anyway.

Alexander will probably be on his last legs as an international option. He always was a stop-gap anyway but he's hung around and done a job for a while now.

I'd like to see Neil McCann playing regular club football and back in the international fold to be honest. He can at times be devastating. I remember him destroying Gary Neville in the Wembley play-off game and he had some outstanding outings in the Euro 2004 qualifying I thought. I wouldn't like to see him ruled out yet.

Definitely one or two "who was that again" in some suggestions (Graham Murty?). Agree with most - though I am not sure we are so flush with players coming through that we should be giving Chris Dailly, Colin Cameron or Neil McCann, or maybe even Callum Davidson (you know how there are some players you just dont like, well for me ...) their P45s just yet. Might be best to keep them by the phone when squads are announced.

But this brings me to the point I want to make. Its all very well saying who we want to get rid of but we need to say who we would/ might replace them with. For instance I would have voted with all three hands (if I had three) to replace Rab Douglas with Craig Gordon, if Walter hadnt beaten me to it. I would try out McManus and Beattie at Celtic, and give Maloney a chance. What about Riordan and O'Connor at Hibs are another two that need a chance. That's four young strikers who could be said to have earned a chance. Diamond and Severin at Aberdeen.

So, you ageist fans out there. We know which oldies you want to be rid of. But who are you going to replace them with?

Guest QOSblue
Who should retire is a matter of personal preference really. To be honest I've always felt no-one should "retire". I think it's morally wrong to make yourself unavailable for international duty. If your manager believes you are still the best in your position you should still be prepared to play.

I'd like to see Neil McCann playing regular club football and back in the international fold to be honest. He can at times be devastating. I remember him destroying Gary Neville in the Wembley play-off game and he had some outstanding outings in the Euro 2004 qualifying I thought. I wouldn't like to see him ruled out yet.

707259[/snapback]

Some players will no doubt retire but I`d agree with you here. If I`d been lucky enough to play for Scotland then i`d play as long as the manager picked me.

Think it was Sol Campbell that McCann gave such a hard time to. Gary Neville didn`t play although Phil Neville did at left back. I remember Craig Brown making the point that Keegan made an error in announcing the day before the match that Southgate would partner Adams in central defence with Campbell at right back. This led Brown to move Hutchison up front and play McCann wide left.

Pressley shouldn't retire, he simply shouldn't be picked. Period.

An average club player but next to attrocious at international level. Interestingly numerous Jambo fans (don't worry I was pittying them at the same time as talking to them) have agreed with me.

I didn't even watch the game on Saturday and I knew he played sh*t.

Pressley

Weir

McCann

Dailly

Douglas

Where have all the good centre halves Scotland used to churn out easily gone - can only think of Kennedy (if he plays again) and McManus at Celtic coming through, along with Webster of Hearts that could slot in.

707086[/snapback]

Kirk Broadfoot :D;)

Steven 'F'cking' Pressley.

The man is absolutely useless. How he gets a game is beyond me. I'd rather play with ten men. I see in the Metro this morning that he's looking forward to trying to qualify for the 2010 World Cup. If i have to watch Steven 'F'cking' Pressley in a Scotland shirt for 5 more years I might have be forced into drastic action.

Joozy, you and I both, mate!

Tell you what how about we "cook up a plan" that if Pressley does get picked for the next campaign he meets with a "nasty accident".

Ironically I've known someone who has dated him (ewwww) and someone who went to school with him. If only they had "nobbled" him then....

I thougth Weir did well last night. Webster is a good player but we're not exactly overflowing with class centre backs are we? I don't think we can afford to let Weir slip off just yet.

I imagine that John Kennedy would be pushing for a starting place by now were it not for Ganea :(

I agree about Pressley, I don't think he's got it at international level.

Archived