World Rankings

Guest Fifer_Par

Guest Fifer_Par

The latest rankings released have us up to 62nd in the world. Although still not great shows what a great improvement has been made over the last few months. Thats 20 odd places weve moved up in the last 2 months. I know the rankings dont show that much but heres hoping this continues.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The latest rankings released have us up to 62nd in the world. Although still not great shows what a great improvement has been made over the last few months. Thats 20 odd places weve moved up in the last 2 months. I know the rankings dont show that much but heres hoping this continues.

717859[/snapback]

It is good news, given our decline over the last few years. Although in themselves I don't think they mean much. For example they don't have any effect on which qualifying pot we get put into. However, results on the pitch are improving and if the team keeps going in this direction, then we will get back to qualifying for major championships. :)

Guest Guinness_Alan

The rankings were a pile of pish when we were dropping down them, and they are still a pile of pish when we climb back up them. They are totally meaningless. The only thing that will convince me we are improving is when we start actually beating teams like Belarus at home!

The rankings were a pile of pish when we were dropping down them, and they are still a pile of pish when we climb back up them. They are totally meaningless. The only thing that will convince me we are improving is when we start actually beating teams like Belarus at home!

718602[/snapback]

In fairness to Smith, and believe me this gives me the boak, they were a right good footballing side in both matches. He did shite it in both matches all the same.

As for the rankings, who cares?

We're 28th out of 52 in the rankings as far as UEFA countries are concerned, which just about matches our coefficient seeding for Euro 2008 qualifiers.

That's the only useful stat as far as I'm concerned. Be nice to get back in the top 20 though.

Edited for pish spelling..

Well done walter for make us half desent again.  That just proves that if that cock Taylor had got rid of Berti earlier we could have been in a play off plus futher up the rankings

719864[/snapback]

Then again if he hadn't brought him in what would be the average age of our squad just now? Somewhere in the region of 45 I'd imagine ;)

What's silly about it?  What was the average age of our squad when we got put out the Euro qualifiers by England?  Was it going to get any younger?  No.  Did Roxburgh or Brown bring any 'youngsters' in? No.

720197[/snapback]

Stop making a tit of yerself. If no youngster were brought through Brown's squad would have been in their 40's and the current squad in their 50's.

I could name a handful of players who were brought through by Roxburgh and Brown but that would lead to the topic wandering into another SPLWWW rant thread and that's not fair on you.

Back to the topic in hand, despite the rankings being largely irrelevent I'm glad to see the improvements made by Smith gaining some sort of recognition. Our reputation is still tarnished but it's getting better.

I could name a handful of players who were brought through by Roxburgh and Brown but that would lead to the topic wandering into another SPLWWW rant thread and that's not fair on you.

Name them. Oh and not just players who were brought through, whatever that means, name youngsters that they identified and stuck with....

Guest Batfink
Name them.  Oh and not just players who were brought through, whatever that means, name youngsters that they identified and stuck with....

720254[/snapback]

Well, I tried to stick up for you in another thread but I had a think and have to agree that there has been plaenty young Scots identified and capped at an early age. In fact, there has been some clear progression and transition between managers that completely broke down when Vogts took over.

Sorry for being a Statto but hear are some facts I found on the net with my own comments to the side. It doesn't matter what you think of the individuals merits as a player, the fact is that they were the best young players available that were identified and regularly capped by the managers that you have slagged off :)

First Capped by Roxburgh

McCoist 61 caps

Durrant 20 caps

Collins 58 caps Berti tried to bring him back.

Boyd 72 caps

McAllister 57 caps Berti tried to bring him back.

McCall 40 caps

Gallacher 53 caps

First Capped By Brown

McKinlay 29 caps

Burley 46 caps Berti brought him back.

Weir 42 caps…and counting! Turned his back on Berti. Still in the squad.

Dailly 57 caps…and counting! Still in the squad.

Lambert 40 caps Turned his back on Scotland, begged back by Berti.

Pressley 25 caps…and counting! Still in the squad

McCann 25 caps…and counting! Still in the squad.

B. Ferguson 31 caps…and counting! First capped in 1998. Still in the squad.

K. Miller 23 caps…and counting! Still in the squad.

McNamara 33 caps Just retired. A Berti favourite.

Crawford 25 caps Picked by Berti countless times.

Naysmith 28 caps…and counting! Still in the squad.

Davidson 17 caps…and counting! Recalled to squad.

Dickov 10 caps…and counting! Still in the squad.

First Capped by Berti

Lee Wilkie 11 caps Crocked in the 1st division, not coming back.

Cummings 1 cap Who?

Kyle 9 caps What?

Dobie 6 caps Where?

McFadden 22 caps Plays in Premiership, was always destined.

Gordon 11 caps Our best keeper, it’s not rocket science.

Quashie 9 caps A rare Berti success story.

Webster 19 caps Again, not rocket science, would always be picked.

Fletcher 17 caps Plays in Premiership, was always destined.

Murty 1 cap Why……WHY?

Douglas 19 caps Berti’s biggest legacy?

Wonderful post Batfink but I was really looking for 'youngsters' some sort of youth policy. 

Usual pish from you Thunder.

721046[/snapback]

All those guys have played up through the various youth squads, through the under 21s and into the full squad. I reckon that is a pretty decent youth policy.

Are you looking for a current youth set up? Maloney, Beattie, Murray, McFadden, O'Conner, Fletcher, Riordan, Gordon etc are now full squad players with others pushing through.

Yet again I have no idea what point you are trying to make, especially as you seem to like Batfink's post that spells out pretty much that you a clueless.

All those guys have played up through the various youth squads, through the under 21s and into the full squad.  I reckon that is a pretty decent youth policy.

Are you looking for a current youth set up?  Maloney, Beattie, Murray, McFadden, O'Conner, Fletcher, Riordan, Gordon etc are now full squad players with others pushing through.

Yet again I have no idea what point you are trying to make, especially as you seem to like Batfink's post that spells out pretty much that you a clueless.

723577[/snapback]

Maloney, Beattie, Murray, McFadden, O'Conner, Fletcher, Riordan, Gordon are full squad members. Thanks to...............

Tis you who is clueless. ;)

Maloney, Beattie, Murray, McFadden, O'Conner, Fletcher, Riordan, Gordon are full squad members.  Thanks to...............

Tis you who is clueless.  ;)

723894[/snapback]

Thanks to the same youth set up that brought McCoist, Collins, Lambert, Ferguson and the countless others quoted above through the ranks and on to serve under more than one national manager.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Berti Vogts is responsibe for Gordon, Riordan, Fletcher or McFadden's international career. They were already playing through the youth set ups and he was able to select them if he wanted. Berti did not set up a revolutionary new youth policy.

Think about it.

Anyway, back to the world rankings.

We have a chance to show the rankings for what they are when we play the USA. They are never as good as the rankings suggest although I do beleive we will have a hard game on our hands. If we win though I would imagine we would see a large jump up the rankings.

Archived