The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

Only change I recon will be nicol. Seems clear Stewart is way out the picture be surprised if he is still there after January shame because he is a good left back As for moving cuddhy don't see it
Duffie well I'm not convinced about him at all. No I am I wouldn't have him anywhere near a starting 11 His other option is to bring Lang in to replace Nicol Doubt he will change the centre pairing At the end of the day Lennon is charged with getting us promoted he has been given plenty backing on and off the park to achieve this so he has to put out what he thinks is the best 11 every week So he at the end of the season it's either mission accomplished or he faces the consequences of failure which at our club usually results in an extension to his contract and pat on the back for reaching the dizzy heights of third in the lowest tier of Scottish football

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Constantly changing managers over the years hasn’t worked so don’t see why Lennon shouldn’t get a few years at it, given this is his first full year. 

Erm.. 

Changing the last one certainly did. Hanging on to Ferguson nearly had catastrophic consequences. Duffy left voluntarily- so where has this constant changing of managers taken place? 

58 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Erm.. 

Changing the last one certainly did. Hanging on to Ferguson nearly had catastrophic consequences. Duffy left voluntarily- so where has this constant changing of managers taken place? 

8 managers in 10 years, including Lennon. 

27 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

8 managers in 10 years, including Lennon. 

And during the succesful (ie staying in the First Division) period prior to that, we had seven managers in the same timeframe. Which is actually very generous to Maitland's tenure, given he was the longest of those by more than a full season.

So theoretically, in D1, we had seven in eight years. It didn't prevent us enjoying reasonable success, certainly in the years immediately after 2004 when building two teams from virtual scratch, and reaching a final with a third; nor in my opinion did this have any bearing on our eventual relegation. That was down to one individual's horrific management style, and one who we unanimously agreed upon sacking. 

It's a football club, people will leave all the time. Some good, some not so. The important thing is that stability is bred to keep the team competitive. Not the other way round. 

I think Stewart is still ill. He has been for most of the season.

I would like to move Cuddihy back into midfield. He plays well for us every game while the majority of the other midfielders McStay, Lamont, Boyle etc. are more erratic. Nicoll being suspended means we will need to make at least one change in midfield.

If you are going to play Duffie then couldn't really get a better game than against Albion Rovers. Lang had his one shot at right back against Peterhead for comparison.

I would bring Lang in instead of Rumsby if McNiff is still out.

“Lang had his one shot at right back v Peterhead”.......I thought he played the week before against Cowdenbeath also?First two games back from injury and he’s pitched in to 2 really tough games in a position he’s done his best to adapt to- he’s a CB end of- he needs to be played there or he needs to move on.

He also played willingly for us in that position last season before a horrible injury, having turned down a firm offer from Peterhead ( as a CB) and in midfield for us too on a couple of occasions. A more willing and enthusiastic lad would be hard to find.

Either give him his chance in the position he’s played all his life (at 19 years old for Dumbarton in the Championship) or do the decent thing and let him go....he may just surprise a few at CB by making tackles- winning the ball in the air and by being our most vocal player on the pitch who will organise.

Or, he could be crap and Rangers signed a dud- Dumbarton played a dud in the Championship, Peterhead offered a contract to him by mistake, and Scotland U 19’s made a selection error.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

I would like to move Cuddihy back into midfield. He plays well for us every game while the majority of the other midfielders McStay, Lamont, Boyle etc. are more erratic. Nicoll being suspended means we will need to make at least one change in midfield.

If you are going to play Duffie then couldn't really get a better game than against Albion Rovers. Lang had his one shot at right back against Peterhead for comparison.

Lennon let it slip out during one of his pre-match Come to Jesus offerings by suggesting he had the choice of leaving Stewart out. 

Strange.

The rest looks fine from here.

If he is ill why is he on the bench?. I not so sure the truth has been told here.

So what's he doing on the bench ? And why is he at training?
So let me get this right Stewart is ill he is on the bench for what to keep the seat warm he can't cone in to the park because he is ill this is completely blizzare
I smell a large rodent [emoji23]

Jack Breslin was Scotland U19's captain and the captain of Celtic's youth team a year before he pitched up at Clyde and he transpired to be equally as bad as - if not worse than - John Kane (shudder). And Annan fans rated him, too. I think there's a possibility Lang could be a better fit than Rumsby but at least he's a known quantity at centre back and has formed a few partnerships with others in the squad already this season. Lang has played two competitive games in about 9 months now so I don't think throwing him in is the answer. Perhaps if we started scoring goals again, we wouldn't be looking at the defence? The only clear improvement there is to be made is the re-introduction of Stewart

Stewart has a back/spinal issue. He’s getting closer to full fitness but probably a touch of protecting the injury from any possible longer term issues until he is ready.
And Lennon is telling all and sundry that he keeps getting viruses , they really need to get their story right.
So still waiting on someone telling me why he is on the bench if he can't play ?

“Lang had his one shot at right back v Peterhead”.......I thought he played the week before against Cowdenbeath also?First two games back from injury and he’s pitched in to 2 really tough games in a position he’s done his best to adapt to- he’s a CB end of- he needs to be played there or he needs to move on.
He also played willingly for us in that position last season before a horrible injury, having turned down a firm offer from Peterhead ( as a CB) and in midfield for us too on a couple of occasions. A more willing and enthusiastic lad would be hard to find.
Either give him his chance in the position he’s played all his life (at 19 years old for Dumbarton in the Championship) or do the decent thing and let him go....he may just surprise a few at CB by making tackles- winning the ball in the air and by being our most vocal player on the pitch who will organise.
Or, he could be crap and Rangers signed a dud- Dumbarton played a dud in the Championship, Peterhead offered a contract to him by mistake, and Scotland U 19’s made a selection error.

Jings Hughie!

I agree with 90% of that.

Although, Cowdenbeath at home wasn't exactly a difficult match.

And you could argue that his higher league experiences have led to him playing in league two.

That's not an indication that he was great in those higher leagues. Is it?

I agree though that he should be played at centre half in the absence of McNiff.

Stewart has a back/spinal issue. He’s getting closer to full fitness but probably a touch of protecting the injury from any possible longer term issues until he is ready.

Best way to full fitness with a back/spinal issue is to spend ninety minutes on a variety of dodgy seats in inclement conditions every Saturday.
Is that in the “Physio’s Guide to Complete Recovery” or might I be a tad cynical in my assumption?

7 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Jings Hughie!

I agree with 90% of that.

Although, Cowdenbeath at home wasn't exactly a difficult match.

And you could argue that his higher league experiences have led to him playing in league two.

That's not an indication that he was great in those higher leagues. Is it?

I agree though that he should be played at centre half in the absence of McNiff.

It was the away Cup tie he played in. 

Virrually every single good player at the club in the last 20 years has been shown the door by countless others, including the likes of Craig Bryson and Jack Ross. 

Do we just give up on the likes of Lang or other players with background based on others' judgement? 

Do we just give up on the likes of Lang or other players with background based on others' judgement? 

Absolutely not.

However, neither should we base our signings on their previous clubs. We need to look at the quality of the player. Nothing else.

Thanks for the correction on the Cowdenbeath match. You're absolutely correct.

42 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Jack Breslin was Scotland U19's captain and the captain of Celtic's youth team a year before he pitched up at Clyde and he transpired to be equally as bad as - if not worse than - John Kane (shudder). And Annan fans rated him, too. I think there's a possibility Lang could be a better fit than Rumsby but at least he's a known quantity at centre back and has formed a few partnerships with others in the squad already this season. Lang has played two competitive games in about 9 months now so I don't think throwing him in is the answer. Perhaps if we started scoring goals again, we wouldn't be looking at the defence? The only clear improvement there is to be made is the re-introduction of Stewart

A known quantity? 

He certainly is. 

Far from suggesting we rock the 'unbeaten in six' boat by shoehorning a defender with pedigree into the side for no reason other than for the sake of it, the fact is all is most definitely not well with any of our performances since Elgin away. And we still managed to concede a reckless goal then too.

We're not scoring goals at any decent rate, therefore staying loyal to a defence with characteristics akin to a Swiss cheese with two misplaced midfielders and accident-prone Rumsby is asking for trouble. The kind of trouble that's saw us struggle against any team savvy enough to work the above, out for themselves. 

Indeed until Edinburgh away, many were keen to pap Dylan Coggill on the next train back to Yorkshire. Smart move that would have proved to be. 

We don’t appear to have a scouting system- so we tend to bring players in for training and assess them- it’s not just done on heresay or previous clubs. 

Lets see what happens in January- but if there is any business done- I hope it’s more fruitful than it was in the summer

Archived