The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yogi did alright at Ross County in between his debacles at Raith & Dunfermline.

This is not an endorsement.

Fair enough. I was thinking he’d maybe be similar to the likes of Duncan Ferguson.

A guy who has had a pretty chronic managerial record recently, but with a bit of intensity about him can get a reaction out of a moribund team. Which I think Yogi might be able to do for us. 

Btw, I’m not dying on this Yogi hill. He was just the first name that kinda fit that bill (McCall aside) that came to mind. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

9 minutes ago, wuffster said:

You can legitimately want Bullen gone and have no idea who should replace him. I am in that camp.

There will be many applicants, I would roll the dice. I doubt the owner/DoF want the hassle. As long as we stay in the Championship for the opening of the new stand they will probably be happy. Is it good enough? The owner seems to be gambling that people will buy season tickets regardless of what is served up on the pitch. He may be right.

Not with me he won’t be. I bought into it this season with the vision in mind of what Raith are achieving this season. We’ve regressed so badly with what is probably our highest wage bill since the Barr era. It’s depressing turning up at Somerset week in week out and I feel I have to go simply because I got the ST. Where as I know I would have patched games because of the home form if I was only paying at the gate. So will be back to PATG next year and see what that brings and it’s quite possibly League 1 football. 

5 minutes ago, wuffster said:

You can legitimately want Bullen gone and have no idea who should replace him. I am in that camp.

There will be many applicants, I would roll the dice. I doubt the owner/DoF want the hassle. As long as we stay in the Championship for the opening of the new stand they will probably be happy. Is it good enough? The owner seems to be gambling that people will buy season tickets regardless of what is served up on the pitch. He may be right.

I an concerned that Mathies philosophy is completely incompatible with the real world and we will end up recruiting someone with a footballing ideology who presented 80 pages on powerpoint about how they could change the modern game before being binned after a few months. Some of the other names from the last time are struggling in their current jobs. 

It could be an easy hire, a respected coach from Scotland with a decent record that can make us a top 4 team, improving year on year when the budget increases.

Someone like McGeady would be a gamble but less of a gamble than some. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I an concerned that Mathies philosophy is completely incompatible with the real world and we will end up recruiting someone with a footballing ideology who presented 80 pages on powerpoint about how they could change the modern game before being binned after a few months. Some of the other names from the last time are struggling in their current jobs. 

It could be an easy hire, a respected coach from Scotland with a decent record that can make us a top 4 team, improving year on year when the budget increases.

Mathie will only hire a yes man that won’t question his recruitment philosophy. Bullen has no say in players he’s given, no matter what Mathie says in his little Q&A sessions. 

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Not with me he won’t be. I bought into it this season with the vision in mind of what Raith are achieving this season. We’ve regressed so badly with what is probably our highest wage bill since the Barr era.

That’s one of the bigger kicks in the nads this season; The high wage bill. Just a lot cash spent on a quantity of absolute duds, where spending on 3-4 known quality players would’ve done. The wastage and how it plays out on the park is galling. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

Just now, Coollestersmoothe said:

That’s one of the bigger kicks in the nads this season; The high wage bill. Just a lot cash spent on a quantity of absolute duds, where spending on 3-4 known quality players would’ve done. The wastage and how it plays out on the park is galling. 

I had a look at the new squad photo the other day and there were 30 in it :lol: Now I know not all are here etc, but we have a core first team of around 23/25 players. You know what really baffled me today, Ahui was missing from the team and Ecrepont was our only defensive cover. Why on earth was Watret allowed to go play with the 18s yesterday and not the final sub cover on the bench today, had something happened to another defender we were totally screwed. Again another mind boggling decision to only have 3 centre halves in a squad of 25. 

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Mathie will only hire a yes man that won’t question his recruitment philosophy. Bullen has no say in players he’s given, no matter what Mathie says in his little Q&A sessions. 

As I said, That is my concern.

A month of a recruitment process, offer it to 3 folk who all knock it back and we end up with someone who wasn't on the original short list. Again.

5 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

A lot of that was players from last season who clearly weren't good enough but were still contracted and the budget is only so big. The Dipo money went on three loan players to cover midfield and Chalmers. 

They were signed or have regressed under the current structure. 

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I had a look at the new squad photo the other day and there were 30 in it :lol: Now I know not all are here etc, but we have a core first team of around 23/25 players. You know what really baffled me today, Ahui was missing from the team and Ecrepont was our only defensive cover. Why on earth was Watret allowed to go play with the 18s yesterday and not the final sub cover on the bench today, had something happened to another defender we were totally screwed. Again another mind boggling decision to only have 3 centre halves in a squad of 25. 

I think bullen does what I do 8-9 weeks into a season of Football Manager. Just remorselessly click the top right button until the next transfer window/next opportunity to have a big team bust up, with no notice of day to day events or club management. 

17 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

How much money do you think your club has?

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A lot of that was players from last season who clearly weren't good enough but were still contracted and the budget is only so big. The Dipo money went on three loan players to cover midfield and Chalmers. 

They were signed or have regressed under the current structure. 

Right enough. Still a good outlay on dross. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

I haven't been involved in your thought process up to the point you typed this, If you are looking for an answer, could you give me more to work with?

Getting a well respected coach in Scotland with your budget increasing year on year. Are you implying the club aren’t giving Bullen as much as they can?

24 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I don’t buy this at all. It’s easy to make assumptions that a person in Mathies position only wants someone they can control but I’ve seen nothing to suggest that is the case. That suggestions also gives Bullen far too much credit by suggesting that he’s only playing the hand he’s been dealt when he is a part of the problem. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Getting a well respected coach in Scotland with your budget increasing year on year. Are you implying the club aren’t giving Bullen as much as they can?

There are several respected coaches kicking about just now without a job. One just left your club this week. 

We have built a hub that has generated extra income, we now release 3 kits a season and in O'Neills have a better offering for merchandise. We are currently building a new stand with an enhanced hospitality offering that will generate additional funds. 

Under the last Chairman, the budgets were often cut year on year with no new revenue streams coming in. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t buy this at all. It’s easy to make assumptions that a person in Mathies position only wants someone they can control but I’ve seen nothing to suggest that is the case. That suggestions also gives Bullen far too much credit by suggesting that he’s only playing the hand he’s been dealt when he is a part of the problem. 

Oh he is definitely part of the problem as the squad he has should be performing much better than it is. However I know he has no say in the signing, which after the Bangala debacle probably isn’t the worst idea. 

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Oh he is definitely part of the problem as the squad he has should be performing much better than it is. However I know he has no say in the signing, which after the Bangala debacle probably isn’t the worst idea. 

When Gondoh was signed, Callum asked him what to expect, Bullen said he'd never seen the boy play. 

Mathie hired his pal to do recruitment, a guy that had worked with him before. So he's not going to then ignore everything he says and sign who Bullen wants. 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

When Gondoh was signed, Callum asked him what to expect, Bullen said he'd never seen the boy play. 

Mathie hired his pal to do recruitment, a guy that had worked with him before. So he's not going to then ignore everything he says and sign who Bullen wants. 

Yeah, so Bullen isn’t involved in the recruitment and is given players he hasn’t identified or asked for to work with. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Aye. I remember the words “done our due diligence” when signing Bangala came out of Bullens mouth in an interview. Toe curling in hindsight. His eye for a player is shocking.