Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

1 hour ago, ForfarLoon84 said:

I agree with some that I think we do have a decent squad, but it’s being held back by his defensive tactics.

I’ve not missed a game home or away since I moved back up the road, but I simply cannot go and watch that every week, it’s just not enjoyable to watch.

Agree with this, results have been poor but have seen that many times before BUT what is killing my enjoyment is our ultra negative tactics, we seem to never commit bodies forward and is is just so boring to watch. Didn’t buy a season ticket this season and suspect will be really tested In term’s  of finding the desire to go and watch this negative, passive pish all season. 

Seems fairly clear that the plan is not to lose. Built on a strong defence with an occasional foray into the opposition's half and if a goal happens, that's a bonus. To have moved so quickly from a couple of Cup performances that seemed to offer much more for the season ahead, things have ground to a halt.  We're now faced with a style of play that McKinnon obviously favours but it's resulting in turgid and boring football and I'm struggling to see any creativity being offered - or a way forward to break this cycle. So what's changed? I dunno, but this style of football is soul destroying.

We've now played Elgin twice & Clyde once.

2 of the teams many consider to be the worst. We haven't scored a goal. 

Spartans next up is going to be a tough one & I can't see a win tbh. Stranraer have started well & it's always tight against East fife. Ray would likely be happy with 3 draws out of those fixtures.

8 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

Seems fairly clear that the plan is not to lose. Built on a strong defence with an occasional foray into the opposition's half and if a goal happens, that's a bonus. To have moved so quickly from a couple of Cup performances that seemed to offer much more for the season ahead, things have ground to a halt.  We're now faced with a style of play that McKinnon obviously favours but it's resulting in turgid and boring football and I'm struggling to see any creativity being offered - or a way forward to break this cycle. So what's changed? I dunno, but this style of football is soul destroying.

Could not agree more, he 100% sets out not to lose, rather than go and win.

That’s acceptable against better sides away from home, but against Elgin etc. at home we should be going out to win.

On 03/09/2023 at 00:27, ScottishLoon said:

Aye let's erase the season where we finished 2nd only to money filled kelty and were pretty happy after a disaster COVID season.

if you can't enjoy that season I dread to think what you can enjoy.

What did we get out of that season?

Trophy? Promotion?

1 hour ago, RateofKnots said:

What did we get out of that season?

Trophy? Promotion?

If the only time you're happy as a supporter is when you win something then I'm sorry to break the news that we're not Celtic or rangers.

Winning games and watching entertaining football is more than enough for me, promotions or league titles are the bonus.

Edited by ScottishLoon

23 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Wow that really puts in to perspective our lack of goals for quite a while now.

It's been absolutely shocking since Baird left. Normally your opposition would eventually have a shocker and you would get a few goals but it just doesn't happen with us ... 

53 minutes ago, Port Talbot Loons said:

16th April 2022 

Beat Annan 5-1.

45 games in total of two goals or less.

And then we shat the bed against Annan in the game that mattered.

Defences are generally honking in this league, to have gone so far with scoring more than 2 is very worrying.

On 04/09/2023 at 15:53, ScottishLoon said:

If the only time you're happy as a supporter is when you win something then I'm sorry to break the news that we're not Celtic or rangers.

Winning games and watching entertaining football is more than enough for me, promotions or league titles are the bonus.

So I should be happy we won some games?

Did we not win games last season? So we should be giddy?

9 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

So I should be happy we won some games?

Did we not win games last season? So we should be giddy?

You are acting as if league titles and promotions are the most important thing for us when we’ve only won 3 titles in our history and last promotion was 2017.

It’s Forfar Athletic not Real Madrid, a good season (in league 1) is getting play offs (which we usually bottle) or 5th place. If you care so much about us winning as many titles as possible then you must be really miserable.

Looks like Mutale's loan is over as he's returned to Dundee for rehab following an ankle ligament injury during training.

I'm sure some will say "who cares he was useless" but I think he showed some good movement and looked tricky to opposing defenders, and would have liked to see him play some more games to see what promise he has.

17 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

Looks like Mutale's loan is over as he's returned to Dundee for rehab following an ankle ligament injury during training.

I'm sure some will say "who cares he was useless" but I think he showed some good movement and looked tricky to opposing defenders, and would have liked to see him play some more games to see what promise he has.

From what I saw it's not ruled out that he comes back if the injury isn't too big.