The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Fucking hell...

Honestly, I didn't think it would ever happen.  I really want to know what really happened in gorilla at Wembley now, because surely it has to be something pretty serious for this to happen so quickly.  Only other thing I can think is that Tony knows he's coming across as a bit of a wet-wipe, and he had to do something, anything to show some authority.  I can't imagine the way he treated Punk last year did much for morale, and it would be hard to argue (and to prove to be fair) that it didn't lead people like Jack Perry to believe that they could get away with being wee dicks.  This is at least strike number 2 for Punk, and you could probably argue the rest of the niggly wee things he's done make it up to close to a 3.  He hasn't been worth the hassle in a long time, and has been injured near enough half the time he's been signed.  To protect the brand, sometimes you need that wee bit of hurt to the drawing (emphasis on wee, in my personal opinion) to protect it long term.

As for Punk himself, surely that's him well and truly done now.  And, to be fair to him, that's no real issue.  He's got other avenues to go into, can probably get fairly decent acting gigs to tide him over.  He was writing and drawing comics.  He's married to AJ Mendez.  He's got ties to MMA commentary.  He could probably do years of the shoot interview circuit.  I don't think Phil Brooks is really going to have trouble getting work, and he's probably already pretty wealthy.  If he wanted to still wrestle, he could probably do sporadic stuff on the indies I suppose, he'd still be a draw there.  I think there's a tiny chance WWE would take a shot, but it's incredibly small, and would involve him eating a whole lot of shit and basically grovelling, and even then, why would WWE want him?  They wouldn't push the boat out for Jay White, and in a few months have a (again, fucking tiny) chance of Will Ospreay.  MJF doing his whole bidding war shtick, and probably countless other big names starting to think that AEW to WWE is a valid path.  I don't really ever see them being interested in bringing back an ageing Punk who has essentially just been fired for being more trouble than he's worth.  Some boy...pisses off the only wrestling name in town, finds out there's now a second big name and pisses them off too.  Top work.

As for AEW itself...well, at least they're not going to be in Chicago for a while.

Spoiler

AEW Collision Chicago

Oh dear...

4 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Aye can’t see Punk going back to WWE, too many egos and pride at play there. Bloody hope he does though, it would be absolutely blockbuster stuff.

Hope this happens myself but can’t see it. 

Invite him back in and tell him he gets to main event WM.  Reigns has just about run out of people to f**k about with.

In all seriousness though, if you're playing fantasy booking, where does current-era Punk really sit in current-era WWE? Obviously if you have him, you find a space, and they would, but his hair-trigger temper, crotchety old-man act just doesn't seem to fit with the largely safe personalities they currently have.  I guess into the World Heavyweight side of things?  Him and Rollins would probably do something good.  But couldn't see him getting chucked into the Bloodline stuff without completely derailing it and throwing a chair at Reigns or something.  

Would be a good laugh watching Gunther murder him though.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

The thing about Punk returning to WWE. Is do you see him winning? He seems to have enough of an ego he'd want to be presented favourably. I struggle to see him getting the same prime spots that other legends have been given.

Winning what? I don’t think he’d come in as the all conquering face who topples Reigns no, but I’m sure he would be presented as a top guy over the short period he’d be there for. It’s very unlikely to happen but fun to fantasy book I suppose. 

If we are playing the fantasy game, I'd bring him in for a very short term deal, leading up to a WM.  Even if he's lost a step in the ring, he can still tell a story and sell a program.  Get him to do a short Survivor Series to WM story, give him main event of night 1, and have that story just end.  Don't give him long enough to properly piss anyone off and a set end date, get him paid, then let him go.  Of course problem with that is there isn't really a nice ready-made story there.  It would be absolutely chef's kiss if HHH was still healthy.  I could absolutely see them telling that story, maybe even leading up to a double retirement or something at WM, and that would immediately be a really, really hot angle.  Unfortunately, never going to happen.  Maybe Cena in some kind of double retirement?  Outside of that, it's hard to pick a ready-made story, unless you go down the lines of Owens being pals with the Young Bucks from the old days.

Ultimately it's all pointless, as I expect we'll hear nothing from him, then some shoot interviews where he comes across badly, then that'll be it.

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

If we are playing the fantasy game, I'd bring him in for a very short term deal, leading up to a WM.  Even if he's lost a step in the ring, he can still tell a story and sell a program.  Get him to do a short Survivor Series to WM story, give him main event of night 1, and have that story just end.  Don't give him long enough to properly piss anyone off and a set end date, get him paid, then let him go.  Of course problem with that is there isn't really a nice ready-made story there.  It would be absolutely chef's kiss if HHH was still healthy.  I could absolutely see them telling that story, maybe even leading up to a double retirement or something at WM, and that would immediately be a really, really hot angle.  Unfortunately, never going to happen.  Maybe Cena in some kind of double retirement?  Outside of that, it's hard to pick a ready-made story, unless you go down the lines of Owens being pals with the Young Bucks from the old days.

Ultimately it's all pointless, as I expect we'll hear nothing from him, then some shoot interviews where he comes across badly, then that'll be it.

I initially thought Cena would be excellent for him but they’ve both been so complimentary of each other in recent years I’m not sure what the angle would be? 

I think a run against Reigns would be stellar but you’d think Reigns’ plans are set and they’re not gonna disrupt that for Punk. 

Still, there’s plenty of guys he could work with, perhaps not with a ready made storyline but they’d work something and as usual with Punk it would be entertaining. Anyway, as you say, we’re in the land of fantasy, I would be shocked if it ever came to pass. 

Edited by Londonwell

Think this 'parting' has been at least somewhat mutual.

Seems like Punk wasn't liking being in AEW for a bit and folk weren't liking him being in AEW.

As I said before, he has so many ready made feuds/matches in WWE, but the issue is can they trust him? They would have to have some mad contract if they signed him, but if he agreed they could do massive business across multiple PPVs.

As I said before, guy is an all time great but also needs some help. At times I feel sorry for him as he's clearly in need of therapy, but he's also clearly a total tit to too many folk whilst he remains without help.