The AEW Thread

TheGoon

28 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

What has Sapp said that is bullshit?

Most of his 'scoops' have turned out to be the case. He deletes his Tweets after and pretends he was taken out of context. He's genuinely the worst.

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Most of his 'scoops' have turned out to be the case. He deletes his Tweets after and pretends he was taken out of context. He's genuinely the worst.

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Meltzer and Sapp are basically the wrestling equivalent of fans who spot footballers at service stations on Deadline Day

Meltzer is definitely prone to havering shite from time to time, but I can't recall anything that Sapp has reported that has turned out to be a lie.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

10 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That was a cracking episode of Dynamite. MJF vs Joe and Hangman vs Swerve should be great feuds. Nick Wayne has no business being that good at his age, although his body might be wrecked by the time he is 25 if he keeps bumping like Darby.

MJF vs Joe will be tremendous. Their wee promo together was brilliant and reckon they'd work well in the ring.

Pretty much the same thing can be said about Swerve and Hangman, although it was mostly Swerve talking (and he was great doing so). Swerve has put on some mass of late. Guy has the potential to be a main eventer. He's actually younger than Hangman by a couple of months! 

I'll always find American's approach to swearing hilarious.  MJF will swear up a storm off mic, even sometimes in promos, yet adding a BIIIITCH to a promo gets a huge "ohnoyoudi'nt" pop.  

I find it hard to take any wrestling "journalist" seriously.  Meltzer probably sits above all, given he has an actual background in journalism, and his knowledge of the history of the business is probably unparalleled.  But he should stick to that stuff, and away from the dirtsheet style of reporting, because I've yet to see someone that isn't woefully out of their depth when it gets to anything more serious than "they want to push this guy".  And people actually pay them to spout the pish they do.  What a job - get something wildly wrong and you can just shrug and say "plans changed".  

All of the dirtsheets struggle in the podcast/social media era. They're sat in front of a mic 5+ days a week and endlessly skimming twitter the rest of the time. Opinions and thoughts are aggregated as facts. I think it was Sean Ross Sapp that just repeated a question he was asked in a super chat and it was picked up as "SRS said..."

But that's where the money is. Just like any gossip rag they have to lean into it.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

I'll always find American's approach to swearing hilarious.  MJF will swear up a storm off mic, even sometimes in promos, yet adding a BIIIITCH to a promo gets a huge "ohnoyoudi'nt" pop.  

I find it hard to take any wrestling "journalist" seriously.  Meltzer probably sits above all, given he has an actual background in journalism, and his knowledge of the history of the business is probably unparalleled.  But he should stick to that stuff, and away from the dirtsheet style of reporting, because I've yet to see someone that isn't woefully out of their depth when it gets to anything more serious than "they want to push this guy".  And people actually pay them to spout the pish they do.  What a job - get something wildly wrong and you can just shrug and say "plans changed".  

I used to subscribe to WON and tbf the newsletter itself was always great (particularly the obituaries/history stuff as you said) but there’s only so many times you can listen to a podcast with Dave saying ‘y’know’ 600 times before it’s just unlistenable, so now I only watch the Bryan & Vinny because it’s just entertainment (and usually a good laugh) rather than news.

Part of me thinks if Meltzer just stuck to the newsletter he’d be more respected but folk would probably still go bush over star ratings - which is one of the most idiotic things to get angry over that I’ve seen. So it’d probably be a riot either way. 

14 hours ago, TheGoon said:

What were these? 

There was one instance where he was using a burner account to reply to himself to help gain attention. That seems to have been deleted off the internet though as I can't find it. It caused a fair amount of drama at the time though. And there was the whole Malakai Black mental helth stuff which was just outright gutter stuff.

I'll have a wee dig later to see if I can find that or some of the other stuff he's just made up. Easy enough to find some of it with a few Google searches though.

Already booked hotel for All In next year. Same hotel as this year actually (Travelodge Greenford, would recommend; 10 minute Uber to Wembley, on the central tube line* and a good, cheap pub right next door with a beer garden, outdoor screen, carvery, normal menu and breakfast buffet).

Was a bit more expensive than last year but reasonable enough (for London); £150 each for two nights.

*Perivale Station, 10 minute walk away. There's also a 24 hour petrol station 5 minutes from the hotel, which we used to stock up on snacks this year (half of which we didn't eat of course).

Will take advantage of my mate again and stay with him unless either of us are dead.  WIll get on flights as soon as they're available and make sure I get Luton this time.  Although hopefully my journey home on Monday isn't caught up in Bank Holiday Air Traffic shite next time.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Will take advantage of my mate again and stay with him unless either of us are dead.  WIll get on flights as soon as they're available and make sure I get Luton this time.  Although hopefully my journey home on Monday isn't caught up in Bank Holiday Air Traffic shite next time.

I went to Luton this year. Was decent. Dart from the Airport was about 2 minutes then train to St Pancras about 40 minutes. Once there you're a few minutes from multiple tube stops and multiple connections.

All very efficient and decent price.

22 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I went to Luton this year. Was decent. Dart from the Airport was about 2 minutes then train to St Pancras about 40 minutes. Once there you're a few minutes from multiple tube stops and multiple connections.

All very efficient and decent price.

My mate was in Milton Keynes, now in Flitwick, so Luton is absolutely ideal.  Always thought it was a shit airport, but it's not too bad, and connections are no worse than any of the other London Airports bar City.  And as long as you get them in decent time, you can often get flights for something like a tenner.

He's international champion now, so he'll likely be on every week on Dynamite if they treat him like OC.  Get ready for "It's Wednesday, you know what that means...BLOOD!"

He does need to tone it down though.  He's the perfect example of how blood should not be treated.  WWE need to embrace it slightly more, but I think their attitude of using it when it matters works far more than just doing it every match.  You can guarantee that if you see blood in a WWE match, it's either because they believe it will genuinely elevate the moment, or because something has gone wrong.  And that's always exciting.  Remember when Brock was instructed to go Fruit Ninja on Orton's head?  If that's on AEW you probably shrug and move on, but that's a properly visceral moment because blood isn't ever-present.  I get it if there's a stipulation match and something that would cut you open gets you.  But it's every single match in the most innocuous of circumstances.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

He's international champion now, so he'll likely be on every week on Dynamite if they treat him like OC.  Get ready for "It's Wednesday, you know what that means...BLOOD!"

He does need to tone it down though.  He's the perfect example of how blood should not be treated.

Babyface Mox was the blueprint in many ways for OC. Just toss him out there in random matches and eat up 10-15 minutes.

He gets a harsh rep on the blood front. Most recent singles matches he hasn't bled. Hell, he even managed to avoid it in the 3 way from Dynamite 200 unless you're counting the thumbtacks spot he took. It was Trent that bladed. It's because he's out there so often and in high profile matches if he isn't bleeding, his opponent could be.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Babyface Mox was the blueprint in many ways for OC. Just toss him out there in random matches and eat up 10-15 minutes.

He gets a harsh rep on the blood front. Most recent singles matches he hasn't bled. Hell, he even managed to avoid it in the 3 way from Dynamite 200 unless you're counting the thumbtacks spot he took. It was Trent that bladed. It's because he's out there so often and in high profile matches if he isn't bleeding, his opponent could be.

But he did blade on Wednesday in a match that I'd argue did not need it.  I think that's the problem, not so much that he is blading or the frequency (well, kind of the latter) more the cases he's doing it.  There's just no need to do it in a standard singles match in the opener on a standard edition of Dynamite.  PPV matches - particularly ones with any kind of stipulation, f**k it, fire in.  It'll make the visuals much better.  There was that one when he was fighting Evil Uno (I think) where he left the guy in a pool of blood, and cut a promo post match while he was still dripping significant blood onto the floor.  Those kinds of visuals are terrific, but they get diluted if you're still blading in a match with Big Bill when there was no need to.