The AEW Thread

TheGoon

The only duds were the Jericho match and the TBS title. Tag & Trios matches were decent, Coffin match okay. 

The rest was excellent. The high points of the show were really high and the crowd being tremendous really helped too. 

Still a bit baffled by Christian winning the gauntlet, but I guess he’s a decent first opponent for Danielson.

That was another thoroughly enjoyable evening. The only real low point was the TBS title match. It wasn't bad, but the crowd couldn't have cared less after the Ospreay match. I and 50,000 other people went for a piss when the Jericho match started. The queue was long enough that I got back to my seat just in time for the finish.

They also need to get in a few more giant screens next time they run Wembley. It was very difficult for anyone sat opposite the entrance to see anything without turning around to watch the screen behind them.

Marked out like a massive bitch at Sting. Went mental, shouting and jumping around like a huge smelly mark. Likewise McGuinness and Ricochet.

Main event was f**king molten in terms of atmosphere. Absolutely loved it. 

Whole event was class, f**king tremendous. Only the Mone/Baker match was meh, and it wasn't a bad match, but the crowd just didn't give a f**k.

Whole event absolutely flew by, despite the fact we were there for about 5 hours!

Hugely enjoyable stuff, loved it.

Man getting to be there live and up close, I’ve been down on aew for a while but this has gotten me right back into it, but this show and experiencing it live is why I love professional wrestling

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

Very jealous to those that got to be there for that, another cracking show from AEW.  Not without it's issues, but none of them particularly major.  They still really struggle with some of their camera cuts.  The coffin match was a bit disappointing compared to what I thought it would be, pretty abrupt ending.  TBS match was very flat, although they had little chance with their spot in the card.  Jericho match was a bit shit (although enjoyed seeing Taz get up on his broken knees and get involved).

But the good far outweighed those minor things.  And the best of it was obviously Bryan f**king Danielson.  I got back into wrestling just after WM29, so settled in just in time for the Daniel Bryan story to really hit into high gear.  WM30 was absolutely incredible, and then his story after that was just brutal.  Losing his Dad, the Connor the Crusher stuff, injury, return, retirement, then his awkward years where he clearly wasn't enjoying himself.  He returned, but his time in WWE from then just wasn't it.  AEW rejuvenated him, but it's not really so much about the ring stuff.  There's so many wrestlers I like but I can imagine would be a bit of a chore to actually meet.  Danielson just seems like a genuinely wonderful guy, and no matter what's happening, what role he's playing, that f**king grin of his is just infectious.  Absolutely delighted for him to get that moment.  I'm sure he said after WM30 that his only regret was that WWE didn't let Brie go down to the ring to celebrate as they weren't a couple in kayfabe.  Now a decade later, he gets to have her in the ring with him, with his very cute kids (extra marks for his wee boy absolutely refusing to play ball and getting excited over confetti), and be at the top of the sport once again.  

I can only hope now that he spends his final few months on a Ric Flair style "lose and I'm done" run.  There is absolutely no-one who would be better in the role than someone who is happy to blade in front of his kids and make them cry.  The mad f**ker.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Hangman did the funniest thing.

Wasn’t really bothered about all out, but that angle for Swerve/Hangman was great and Ospreay/Pac should be an absolute banger as well, so I’ll likely stay up for this. (Its still f**king daft having 2 PPVs this close together).

IMG_0145.jpeg

14 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Hangman did the funniest thing.

Absolutely exquisite. Genuinely tremendous and very, very funny. Top tier pro wrestling.

If they'd done this prior to the original Texas Deathmatch, I think it'd probably be flawless booking.  As it is there's a  question on what they can do to go beyond that level of brutality.  Will be f un to find out though, as that was about as perfect a go-home moment as you could get.

f**k the show starting at 1am though.  b*****ds.

I think the story reasoning is that Danielson has to retire once he loses his title, so they don't want to risk that at Grand Slam, whereas a non tile match doesn't have those stakes. 

I'm worried that Darby is winning the belt at Wrestledream. Think he's going to turn and join Mox. Either that or he loses, turns after the match, and Christian cashes in. However, I also could see Christian trying to cash in and Copeland returning to make sure he fails (or perhaps ensures he succeeds?!).