Politics

I heard it was to do with class divide as well, must admit though i am not really clued up on this one.

You’ll be able to read an element of class into almost all “our side of town vs their side” divides. Especially if you’re actively looking for it.

If you want a club from that city with a genuine political identity then that would be AEK

Guest JTS98
On 23/06/2019 at 23:09, Moomintroll said:
On 23/06/2019 at 19:50, gannonball said:
You don't think the Franco years add at least something in terms of needle? It goes way beyond to the two biggest teams in the country for me.

Yes quite, methinks Dindy might want to read a few books on Catalunyan history here, the fall out from the Civil War still permeates this rivalry to the current day. Most Castillians hate Catalunyans & vice versa with a conflict that is far more recent than our own underpinning it.

Like most encroachments of politics into football, the traditional idea of Barcelona v Real Madrid is based on gross over-simplification of a complicated issue. It's an erroneous and basically offensive understanding of what actually happened in Madrid during the Spanish civil war. The truth is now well lost to public consciousness.

Edited by JTS98

12 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Like most encroachments of politics into football, the traditional idea of Barcelona v Real Madrid is based on gross over-simplification of a complicated issue. It's an erroneous and basically offensive understanding of what actually happened in Madrid during the Spanish civil war. The truth is now well lost to public consciousness.

Indeed, and a complex and legitimate political issue then gets hijacked by morons looking for some aggro to be added to their football experience.

I heard it was to do with class divide as well, must admit though i am not really clued up on this one.

Was in Istanbul a week ago, so naturally did a bit of research on this. (ps if you like your politics the campaigning for their mayoral election at the weekend was something else.) 

Anyway, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş are indeed regarded as the establishment clubs from the European side of the city - this area being the financial centre of the country and by far the most prosperous.

One third of Istanbul’s 15 million and rapidly growing are from the Asian side.

There was a time there was little in that side, bar a couple of tranquil districts on the Bosporus, but with the immigration from rural Turkey, including Kurdistan and latterly Syria it’s expanding at a hell of a rate.

Fenerbahce represent that side, so you can imagine are derided by sense of superiority from the “Europeans”.

5 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

I have a sneaky feeling that our chairman may be a Republican. We have just built a new wall at Somerset too!

Only if the Mexicans paid for it. Or it's covered with "Up the Ra" muralsi...